Bm 30.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josie66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Should i be on medication...still awaiting proper assessment from my gp..cant get through to surgery. Dr had suggested diet control for 3 months prior to meds but my blood sugar is high and it ranges from 16 on waking to 30 post meal. I wasnt told to do own blood sugar but i felt unwell so have been monitoring it

Im happy to do that. Am getting obsessed with numbers and levels and whats normal or not! All new to me..only been diagnosed 2 days
Thanks

Can i just clarify..do i not need to worry about monitoring blood sugar at this stage?

Can i just clarify..do i not need to worry about monitoring blood sugar at this stage?
That's entirely up to you. The Dr/nurse will probably say no, but many of the T2s will tell you it's the only way to get a handle on what food is good for their levels.

Hi welcome to the forum. It can best h a shock when you’re first diagnosed. Yes a BG (blood glucose) at those levels are high. Howevee their is a lot someone with T2 can do to help themselves whether or not we are on medication. Diet and exersize if able plays the major part in controlling diabetes.

You should find thes blogs and threads helpful
maggie-daveys-letter-to-newly-diagnosed-type-2s.

To help find out how the various carbohydrates affect you, so you can make informed choices
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/test-review-adjust.html

If you are self funding your own glucose meter and test strips the SD Codefree has the cheapest test strips we know of around £8 fora pot of 50. It’s a perfectly good meter, many self funders on here use it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Codefree-Glucose-Monitor-Monitoring-Testing/dp/B0068JAJFS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1506485682&sr=1-1&keywords=sd+codefree+meter+mmol/l&linkCode=sl1&tag=xfm-21&linkId=f39210144fdc26c27738e45b6d957003&th=1

You’ll find lots more useful info here, just scroll down to the T2 section
useful-links-for-people-new-to-diabetes.

And most importantly, ask as many questions as you need to about diabetes, we’ll do our best to help.

Sorry but with a reading of 30.9 I think you should get yourself to A&E, if my daughter was that high she'd need a lot of insulin quickly! Those levels sound very similar to my daughter's before she was diagnosed, is it possible that you might by type 1 not type 2? Unfortunately many GPs think that if you are over 20 years old you must be type 2, but that isn't always true, there are lots of people on this forum who were diagnosed T1 in their 40s and 50s or even older.

I don't want to alarm you, if you prefer maybe try a day or two of eating hardly any carbohydrate at all and see what that does to your levels. That includes bread, pasta, rice, cereal, fruit, potatoes as well as all the obviously sugary foods, fill up on eggs, cheese, meat, fish, green veg. If you still aren't coming down below 16 then I think you need some medication quickly, don't let them fob you off!

The BM reading actually refers to Blood Glucose - and we all refer to that as BG which is logical.

However, literally last century now, when easy fingertip tests were invented (instead of having to send a test tube of blood off to the lab to be tested and having to sit and just wait while that was done and the results came back) the pharmaceutical company who brought it onto the market went by the name of Boehringer Mannheim. Boehringer are still a pharma company dotted in various locations in Germany and that branch was in Mannheim. The likes of us couldn't get hold of these machines or the strips - only in a hospital setting. Hence blood testing strips and the answers they produce soon got shortened to BM by the medical profession and to this day that's what all medics are taught to call them. You know, it dates from a time when the ethos of the medical profession was to not want the patient into the secrets of most things so they could easily maintain the air of superiority that polished their egos and the impression they wanted to make of being superior to the likes of us.

Because I'm a bit of a devil if my consultant asks me about my BMs knowing full well I understand him perfectly, I sometimes have a dig and say I've never done a BM test in my life, so far! Cos I haven't - I've never had a Boehringer meter or any of their strips - so how could I? :confused: LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back