Blood testing supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellie01

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi, was just wondering if the test strips and needles to check.your blood should be on a prescription from your gp or should you buy them yourself as noticed they are not on my repeat prescription list from the doctors. Thank you x

I see you are type 1.5, this should be treated the same as type 1 so yes, they should be on prescription. Talk to your doctor.

I see you are type 1.5, this should be treated the same as type 1 so yes, they should be on prescription. Talk to your doctor.
I did buy some the other day as was using so many needles when i first came out of hospital and was worried i would run out. Thank you i will get in touch with them x

I did buy some the other day as was using so many needles when i first came out of hospital and was worried i would run out. Thank you i will get in touch with them x

Make sure they put enough of each on the prescription for you. It might help to have a rough idea of how many you’ll need per month.

Make sure they put enough of each on the prescription for you. It might help to have a rough idea of how many you’ll need per month.
I got 204 needles off amazon so will last me a while lol x

If you are talking about lancets for doing a finger prick test, a box of 204 ( seems an odd number.... did you count them all) would last me 204 years as I am a member of the St Swithin's day club here on the forum.
Whil;st lancets are supposed to be single use, most of us reuse them multiple times and whilst once a year is probably at the extreme end of the spectrum, I would be surprised if many people change them every time. I have never ever had an issue with multiple use even when my hands have been filthy up at the stables and I had to choose the least dirty finger.

Make sure to also get a sharps bin prescribed if you haven't yet got one of those too. I used to self fund extra test strips because I didn't get enough on prescription to do the intensive testing I wanted to do and I didn't feel the NHS should have to fund extra because I wanted to have more of an indepth understanding of my diabetes than was absolutely essential. Now I have Libre so can scan as often as I want so it isn't a problem, but many of us self funded Libre for a while so it is not unusual to self fund beyond what the NHS provides (plenty of Type 2s have to), but they should be supplying essentials.

Still get the correct number put on your prescription though 🙂 You’ll probably also need to tell then your meter make and model so they can put the correct strips on.

You should get the plastic card back within around a month...if you don't something has gone wrong so please chase up with nhsbsa

Sounds like Fastclix @rebrascora They come in boxes of 204. I had to check because I rarely look at the box and a drum lasts me quite some time :rofl:

Ah! Thanks Inka. Now that makes sense. I imagine that was quite an expensive purchase then as those drums will be a premium price!

My GP will only prescribe my libre. My cf diabetic team have written to him to say, i need lancets & mobile accu chek cassette so i can check if libres results look strange.
I bought mine down Boots the other week. Lancets were on offer for £6 for a box of 100 from £13 (i think) but the mobile was expensive at close to £18. Paying for that every month feels steep if not on offer.
On top of that, i have to buy my high strength vits as they should be on repeat but everytime i order them, they're left off prescription. And i have to take vit d, multi vits, vit e, b complex, magnesium & zinc. Only vit Dr gives me Vit k as its hard to buy.
Seems GP's don't listen to consultants.

Some will put it on prescription others won't as I saw a thread with the same question when I first joined here. Although diabetes means you get all your prescriptions free as has been mentioned. I get strips and lancets free and all other meds. I tell the phamacist to tick option e on the prescription. Diabetes controlled by meds. You need an exemption certificate first though.

Last edited:
Some will put it on prescription others won't as I saw a thread with the same question when I first joined here. Although diabetes means you get all your prescriptions free as has been mentioned. I get strips and lancets free and all other meds. I tell the phamacist to tick option e on the prescription. Diabetes controlled by meds.
Unless you are on medication for diabetes you don't normally get free prescriptions unless of course you are old enough or other exemptions in which case they are free anyway, in England that is unless the rules have changed.
Many Type 2 if dietary managed or on medication that could cause hypos do not get a monitor and strips on prescription unless they are lucky.

Unless you are on medication for diabetes you don't normally get free prescriptions unless of course you are old enough or other exemptions in which case they are free anyway, in England that is unless the rules have changed.
Many Type 2 if dietary managed or on medication that could cause hypos do not get a monitor and strips on prescription unless they are lucky.
That's why I said some will some won't. And why I stated diabetes controlled by meds. UC also qualifies you given threshold.

I tell the phamacist to tick option e on the prescription. Diabetes controlled by meds.
Being on diabetes medication doesn’t qualify you to tick that box. It qualifies you to apply for an exemption card.

You can only tick that box on the prescription if you have an exemption card that is currently in date.

Being on diabetes medication doesn’t qualify you to tick that box. It qualifies you to apply for an exemption card.

You can only tick that box on the prescription if you have an exemption card that is currently in date.
Yes. I know. I suggest you people correct Inka as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back