Blood level

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always liked cabbage just cooked plain with a knob of butter but just recently I have been experimenting with different ways of cooking it including currying it (essentially cabbage bhaji which I used t get from the takeaway but turns out it is really easy to make yourself). There is a thread about frying cabbage in the "Food and carbs" section, which has rather taken off with different recipe ideas... see link below
Thank you for your advice, I like cabbage a lot so will be using as a swap.

@rebrascora - bhaji batter made with gram (besen) flour, some as you make onion bhajis, or what?
No not like onion bhaji which is coated in spiced gram flour, balled and deep fried.

Cabbage bhaji is sort of curried cabbage with onions, garlic and tomato and spices of course. No flour and not deep fried but cooked in a frying pan and the tomato puree and cabbage and butter or ghee means that it is moist and soft, not crisp.
Vegetable bhaji is the same and brinjal bhaji. It is only the onion one which is coated in flour/batter and deep fried.

Last edited:
That shredded cabbage instead of pasta thing is mentioned in an awful lot of low carb cookbooks. For example it’s a go to for the Caldesi Italian low carb one.
It’s a bit odd the first time but it works.

May be of interest if I may deviate slightly from the topic. Always find lunch a bit difficult but have found a fantastic supply of low carb wraps, 5g each, brilliant now can have all sorts of fillings in a wrap that tastes better than normal high carb ones, difficult to keep my daughters choppers off them, I now hide them in the freezer. Seriously low carb company, same people who do my bread and rolls.

Thanks for reply, I’m going to make an effort and cut down and try the shredded cabbage.

Hope it works well for you 🙂

Vegetable bhaji is the same and brinjal bhaji. It is only the onion one which is coated in flour/batter and deep fried.

I’ve always been intrigued by that difference too. Our local indian does a mean mushroom bhaji, which again is more like a veggie curry side dish, and nothing like the deep fried onion bhajis

Bhaji seems to be a side dish. Onion is the only common deep fried version. I have seen aubergine bhaji , mushroom bhaji, cauliflower bhaji, okra bhaji, and probably more. They are all "wet" spicy side dishes.
Bhaji means vegetable in Hindi but the common factor also seems to be they all have gram flour in the traditional recipes.
Maybe a bit like Saganaki in Greece which can be more or less anything as it refers to the cooking pot or pan

Bhaji means vegetable in Hindi but the common factor also seems to be they all have gram flour in the traditional recipes.
Maybe a bit like Saganaki in Greece which can be more or less anything as it refers to the cooking pot or pan
None of the vegetable bhaji dishes I have had (and it is/was a staple order for me at the takeaway.... not that I have takeaway very often at all, especially since our favourite takeaway closed 😡) have ever had even a hint of flour in them apart from the onion bhaji and having just done a quick search I didn't find any suggestion that flour was an ingredient and certainly doesn't seem to be necessary to get the consistency I am used to and in my opinion, would not bring anything to the dish other than carbs which I obviously don't want. I had a vegetable bhaji once from a different takeaway when we were trying to find a replacement venue after our regular closed, that was bulked out with potatoes. Their veg pilau rice which Ian ordered was also full of potatoes. I wasn't impressed and will not go back there again..... Not that I need to now that I am learning to experiment with Indian cooking myself.:D

I am not sure about the 8nclysion of gram flour.
It is not my experience beyond onion bhaji.

Last edited:
I am not sure about the 8nclysion of gram flour.
It 8s not my experience beyond onion bhaji.
I have a couple of Indian recipe cook books and they both mention gram flour in the bhajis but you are right in that it probably isn't really needed.

Out of interest, does your diet still contain other carb-heavy things, eg potatoes or rice, that might explain why things are pretty static despite the changes you've made? Like many on here I follow a low carb diet, ie less than 130g per day, and in the beginning I was staggered to find that it would involve ditching favourites like flavoured yogurts, baked beans, baked potatoes, crisps, pizza, breakfast cereal and every type of cake and biscuit that we had in the larder.
I now realise that I will have to reduce bread, pasta, rice and potatoes a lot to make a difference in lowering my score. i need to do a finger prick test before I eat carbs and 2 hours after to see how it effects my body. Is porridge ok?

I now realise that I will have to reduce bread, pasta, rice and potatoes a lot to make a difference in lowering my score. i need to do a finger prick test before I eat carbs and 2 hours after to see how it effects my body. Is porridge ok?
Some people find porridge OK others not so you will only know if it is OK for YOU by testing.

I'm one of the people who can tolerate porridge and have it every day. But the same amount of carbs in a piece of toast sends me sky high and stays high all day. It doesn't matter what sort of bread but I only worked this out by trting and testing

I'm one of the people who can tolerate porridge and have it every day. But the same amount of carbs in a piece of toast sends me sky high and stays high all day. It doesn't matter what sort of bread but I only worked this out by trting and testing
Thanks, I am realising now I will have to test and work out myself what is best to eat. There is a lot of conflicting information out there and it’s all new to me.

I wish every practitioner that says people on diet and exercise ‘don’t need to test’ could read this! Diabetes is fickle, and contrary, and the metabolism of foods is a complex and multi-faceted process.

A+B simply can’t be assumed to equal C in the same way for 2 different people!

Thanks I agree, I’m sure a lot of people’s condition could be improved sooner if only we were better informed.

Thanks for that, will have to test myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back