Blood Glucose Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holding my hot drink too keep warm in the current weather is enough to get my blood going. The last couple of days I've left trails of blood around my stuff because it doesn't stop bleeding. Hopefully that works well for you.

Hi , thanks for your reply. I have pictures in my mind of all the recommendations of suggested to me.

I'm afraid I just hold the lancet in my fingers and give a quick stab just to the side of the pad, gentle pressure produces plenty to apply to the strip, only a drop the size of a pin head needed for many strips.
I have been known to get a 100 x that when I needed blood for experimental purposes when I was at work.

It depends how you are using the information. If you’re testing just because you’ve been told to and don’t do anything with the information, then it’s a waste of time. However, a lot of people find it useful to see how different foods affect their blood sugar levels. In which case, test just before you start eating and again 2 hours later, and if you have risen more than 3mmol/l then perhaps there was too much carbohydrate in the meal for your body to cope with. So try again with a smaller portion or subtituting the carbs for something else. Once you’ve got used to what your body can and can’t cope with, then you can safely scale down the testing and just do occasional checks to make sure things are still working OK. If you need to get your hba1c down then you can’t know how to do that unless you see exactly how different foods affect you. People are not all the same and what one person can get away with, another can’t touch with a barge pole.
How often and when are questions that come to mind...

How often and when are questions that come to mind...
I think there are some suggestions in this thread and also around the forum but a suggestion here to consider.
People use testing for a number of purposes.
By testing before you eat and after 2 hours you can find out if the meal you have had has been tolerated without increasing your blood glucose by more than 2-3mmol/l, if it is more than that then it means you need to cut out or reduce the portion of the high carb food. You would be aiming that your 2 hour post meal reding would be no more than 8-8.5mmol/l.
People can test every morning to monitor progress day to day, week to week etc, that essentially gives a fasting reading which again you would be aiming at 4-7mmol/l.
It is also a good idea to test if you feel unwell as that may indicate high or low blood glucose and will enable you to take action.

Thanks, all very helpful. I was doing one in the morning before breakfast and then on mid afternoon before my evening meal and one two hours after that.

Curious to know. Had a Pret soup and a brown roll when I was out. I have been checking my blood sugars and so far I've had pretty good results when having the same items. Today I had a different variety (Thai Red Veg) to what I'd usually choose and shortly after had blurry vision. On getting home my BS a reading of 9.3. Any thoughts

This is the nutritional profile according to their website. I shall be avoiding this from now on preferring to make my own at home I think...

Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 14.02.43.png

The soup was 17g cab but what about the bread roll, that could have been as much as 25g carb so a hefty total which could account for the 9.3mmol/l. How long after you ate did you test.

The soup was 17g cab but what about the bread roll, that could have been as much as 25g carb so a hefty total which could account for the 9.3mmol/l. How long after you ate did you test.
about 2 hours, and yes the roll would have added something. But on the other occasions I had a roll and soup , I've had no spike.

Food is only one of many things which can affect our blood sugars.
For example, @MrPixels were you stressed (my levels can rise pretty fast when I attend a challenging work meeting or miss the bus) or did you do less exercise than usual (walking after eating can reduce our levels so not walking can cause them to go higher) or are you feeling unwell or likely to be fighting off a lurgy without getting any symptoms yet or ... ?

Food is only one of many things which can affect our blood sugars.
For example, @MrPixels were you stressed (my levels can rise pretty fast when I attend a challenging work meeting or miss the bus) or did you do less exercise than usual (walking after eating can reduce our levels so not walking can cause them to go higher) or are you feeling unwell or likely to be fighting off a lurgy without getting any symptoms yet or ... ?
Not particularly, at least I don't think I was. Just took a bus into town, got off early and walked to the supermarket and then back to the town centre. Had the meal then walked to other places we wanted to go to. I shall monitor myself a bit more over the next few days to see if there's a pattern. What I have for lunch is usually part of an 800 calorie a day intake with carbs under 130g.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back