Blood glucose testing again

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancingrobotninja

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good evening, so I've been T2 for about 3 years, originally when I was diagnosed I tested my blood sugar until my doctor told me I didn't need to as I'd be getting tested every 6 months, then COVID happened and getting appointments have been impossible, recently I've not been feeling great about it so I decided to start testing again but I can't remember how often I should check and whether it's before or after my Metformin, I'm looking for advice regarding this if anyone can shed some light

Good evening, so I've been T2 for about 3 years, originally when I was diagnosed I tested my blood sugar until my doctor told me I didn't need to as I'd be getting tested every 6 months, then COVID happened and getting appointments have been impossible, recently I've not been feeling great about it so I decided to start testing again but I can't remember how often I should check and whether it's before or after my Metformin, I'm looking for advice regarding this if anyone can shed some light
It depends on the reason for testing.
The keep a check on progress, day to day, week to week then people test first thing in the morning in bed or as soon as you get up.
People also test before and 2 hours after eating to check if their meals are tolerated so they can make changes to their carb intake.
Also people check if they feel unwell as that can be both due to high or low blood glucose.
Metformin does not act directly on the food you eat but just works in the background helping the body use the insulin it produces more effectively and reduces the release of glucose by the liver.

It depends on the reason for testing.
The keep a check on progress, day to day, week to week then people test first thing in the morning in bed or as soon as you get up.
People also test before and 2 hours after eating to check if their meals are tolerated so they can make changes to their carb intake.
Also people check if they feel unwell as that can be both due to high or low blood glucose.
Metformin does not act directly on the food you eat but just works in the background helping the body use the insulin it produces more effectively and reduces the release of glucose by the liver.
It's mainly because I've been getting sporadic headaches and I'm concerned it may be related

It's mainly because I've been getting sporadic headaches and I'm concerned it may be related
Could well be so wise to test when you get them or in the morning to see where you are.
Headaches are sometimes caused by dehydration which can happen if you are making more frequent loo visits which can occur when blood glucose is high.
If you have a monitor and in date strips then testing might provide and answer.
Have you had your eyes tested recently as eye strain can give you a headache or even sleeping awkwardly so many reasons.
If it persists then check with your GP may be a good idea and get an HbA1C test done. You should be having annual check up of feet, kidney function and B12 at the very least.

Could well be so wise to test when you get them or in the morning to see where you are.
Headaches are sometimes caused by dehydration which can happen if you are making more frequent loo visits which can occur when blood glucose is high.
If you have a monitor and in date strips then testing might provide and answer.
Have you had your eyes tested recently as eye strain can give you a headache or even sleeping awkwardly so many reasons.
If it persists then check with your GP may be a good idea and get an HbA1C test done. You should be having annual check up of feet, kidney function and B12 at the very least.
Getting doctors appointments in my area is near impossible, you speak to the receptionist and get blown off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back