Blood glucose monitor - Arrrggghh

Status
Not open for further replies.

2rs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for your recent helpful ideas in answer to my dilemma. (Type 2 - non insulin). However, sadly I now have another. At my last diabetic review with the nurse in September she told me I no longer need to test regularly. I have taken the tester out of the drawer again and it worked for a day, and then stopped. I have tried 2 new batteries - but it still won't work. So I rang the surgery for a new one ( Accu-Check Performa) - for which they have the needles and strips on my repeat prescription! The nurse has refused my request as I don't qualify for one, they did prescribe my current one. So I guess I'm looking at buying one for myself? I did have a self-bought one from when I was pre-diabetic, and the nurse told me I should have a prescribable one! I think I can buy one without paying the VAT, but wonder where you might advise I buy one. I have Amazon Prime, but looking at nearly £80 and I can't afford this. Any ideas again please gratefully received.

No way do you need to pay that much. A monitor people find very satisfactory is the GlucoNavil which has the cheapest test strips Monitor £10 ish and strips £13 for 100 from Amazon. You don't need to pay VAT
You were lucky in the first place to get a monitor on prescription as many Type 2 not on medication likely to cause hypos will not get them. You can reuse lancets no problem.

Thank you for your recent helpful ideas in answer to my dilemma. (Type 2 - non insulin). However, sadly I now have another. At my last diabetic review with the nurse in September she told me I no longer need to test regularly. I have taken the tester out of the drawer again and it worked for a day, and then stopped. I have tried 2 new batteries - but it still won't work. So I rang the surgery for a new one ( Accu-Check Performa) - for which they have the needles and strips on my repeat prescription! The nurse has refused my request as I don't qualify for one, they did prescribe my current one. So I guess I'm looking at buying one for myself? I did have a self-bought one from when I was pre-diabetic, and the nurse told me I should have a prescribable one! I think I can buy one without paying the VAT, but wonder where you might advise I buy one. I have Amazon Prime, but looking at nearly £80 and I can't afford this. Any ideas again please gratefully received.
If you look at this thread, in the Newbies section, Post #4, there is info on cheap reliable meters, and also useful tips on how to make the most of testing on a budget.

If I were you I'd call Roche and see if they would replace the Performa first if you still get the strips on prescription, they are quite good at replacing faulty meters xx

If you have needles and strips on repeat, load up on them.
You will normally get a meter free after a quick call to the manufacturer, as they make the money on the consumables

If I were you I'd call Roche and see if they would replace the Performa first if you still get the strips on prescription, they are quite good at replacing faulty meters xx
Worth a try, but I'd guess requests for strips will be rejected by the GP surgery (and they'll be removed from the repeat prescriptions).

Agreed.
Their rivals, Glucomen, replaced my redundant LX with a new Aero after more than 10 yrs use. It's your money for the strips they're after.
Whereas Amazon is the biggest rip-off merchant on the planet.... everything nearly always cheaper elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back