Blood glucose levels getting too high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jodee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am debating going out for a walk before bed as my blood glucose level has risen to 29.5 mmol
symptoms are some vision blur and very dry mouth.

levels have been very high since a close friend died just before Christmas.

It seem pointless ringing for an ambulance and I guess even if I took myself to A&E they will be far too busy and I would have to wait hours.

I took a metformin about 8pm, should I take another before bed do you think?

thank you, I will go for a short walk then check back in before bed.

I am debating going out for a walk before bed as my blood glucose level has risen to 29.5 mmol
symptoms are some vision blur and very dry mouth.

levels have been very high since a close friend died just before Christmas.

It seem pointless ringing for an ambulance and I guess even if I took myself to A&E they will be far too busy and I would have to wait hours.

I took a metformin about 8pm, should I take another before bed do you think?

thank you, I will go for a short walk then check back in before bed.
hi jodee my advise witch ive just found out y iy happens by a ambulance driver if blood sugars high witch mine are at times 19mmol drink plenty of water with me soon as i do this half hour comes down every time ya basicly diluting the blood hence lowering it i new this myself but i asked the driver he explanied in basic terms hope that helps.😉

Hope your walk brings things down bit. Drinking plenty of water should also help as that will encourage your kidneys to flush glucose out through your urine. If your levels are persistently high then you need to get in touch with your GP or nurse and discuss alternative medication as Metformin is not going to do much with levels that high and you do not want them to be running high like that for months on end. Yes stress can raise levels and I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, but I would say that it is unlikely to be the cause of them being so high unless you ate a lot of comfort food.... which would be understandable in the circumstances but obviously something that you would need to get control of sooner rather than later. If your diet is already very well controlled, then you need to see a clinician sooner rather than later to discuss other treatment options.
I hope you feel better soon. High levels are horrid. I remember one night when my levels hit 27 and my heart was thumping in my chest and I sat up all night drinking water and got it down to 22 by morning. Not something I would want to repeat.

You might also be wise to purchase some Ketostix over the counter from a pharmacy, so that you can test your urine for Ketones if your levels are regularly above mid teens. They cost about £6 for a pot of 50. It is unusual for Type 2 diabetics to develop ketones but it can happen occasionally, but it is also possible that people are sometimes misdiagnosed Type 2 when they are actually Type 1, where high ketones are more likely and very dangerous, so having a means of testing for ketones would be helpful in situations like this where you are wondering if you should go to hospital. If ketones are low then I would work on flushing out the excess glucose but if ketones levels were above 1 with BG levels that high, then it might be best to get medical assistance via 111 or A&E, particularly if you start to feel sick or have respiratory problems or abdominal pain.

Please update when you get back from your walk. I am just heading out myself but will check in when I get back.

If you have a means of checking for ketones (urine dip sticks) then with such high blood glucose that would be a good idea. Drinking water will also help.
Metformin I doubt would have any immediate effect as it doesn't really work that way.
You could call 111 or use the on line 111 facility for advise. If they think an A & E visit is wise then they can book you in so you are often then seen more quickly.
I was beaten too it by @rebrascora

hi jodee my advise witch ive just found out y iy happens by a ambulance driver if blood sugars high witch mine are at times 19mmol drink plenty of water with me soon as i do this half hour comes down every time ya basicly diluting the blood hence lowering it i new this myself but i asked the driver he explanied in basic terms hope that helps.😉
Many thanks Geordieboy

Hope your walk brings things down bit. Drinking plenty of water should also help as that will encourage your kidneys to flush glucose out through your urine. If your levels are persistently high then you need to get in touch with your GP or nurse and discuss alternative medication as Metformin is not going to do much with levels that high and you do not want them to be running high like that for months on end. Yes stress can raise levels and I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, but I would say that it is unlikely to be the cause of them being so high unless you ate a lot of comfort food.... which would be understandable in the circumstances but obviously something that you would need to get control of sooner rather than later. If your diet is already very well controlled, then you need to see a clinician sooner rather than later to discuss other treatment options.
I hope you feel better soon. High levels are horrid. I remember one night when my levels hit 27 and my heart was thumping in my chest and I sat up all night drinking water and got it down to 22 by morning. Not something I would want to repeat.

You might also be wise to purchase some Ketostix over the counter from a pharmacy, so that you can test your urine for Ketones if your levels are regularly above mid teens. They cost about £6 for a pot of 50. It is unusual for Type 2 diabetics to develop ketones but it can happen occasionally, but it is also possible that people are sometimes misdiagnosed Type 2 when they are actually Type 1, where high ketones are more likely and very dangerous, so having a means of testing for ketones would be helpful in situations like this where you are wondering if you should go to hospital. If ketones are low then I would work on flushing out the excess glucose but if ketones levels were above 1 with BG levels that high, then it might be best to get medical assistance via 111 or A&E, particularly if you start to feel sick or have respiratory problems or abdominal pain.

Please update when you get back from your walk. I am just heading out myself but will check in when I get back.
super sound advice all round 😉 rebrascora

Many thanks for all the tips Rebrascora
Went for my walk went A over T on some wet leaves but no harm done, am drinking lots of water but not peeing yet.
I have been noticing little flutters but nothing too alarming. Looks like I should do some housework and keep drinking water for an hour or more then retest blood sugars before going to bed. I don't have Ketostix, I will look into that tomorrow, at the pharmacy. So with the ketostix above 1 is when to take further action? Not feeling sick or having any abdominal pain, I already have a respiratory health issue but its not a problem at the moment, managed walk ok.
will report back when I have taken pin prick test.
Many thanks again

If you have a means of checking for ketones (urine dip sticks) then with such high blood glucose that would be a good idea. Drinking water will also help.
Metformin I doubt would have any immediate effect as it doesn't really work that way.
You could call 111 or use the on line 111 facility for advise. If they think an A & E visit is wise then they can book you in so you are often then seen more quickly.
I was beaten too it by @rebrascora

Many thanks Leadinglights

Many thanks all you guys, so appreciate your help and advise.

I will report back when I do the finger prick test, will keep drinking the water, mouth doesn't seem so dry at the moment so BG could well be coming down.

Last edited:
Its down to 24.7 mmol now, should I stay up a bit longer drinking water do you think or safe enough to go to bed now?

If it was me, I would stay up and drink some more, but if you need to be up early for work in the morning, then that might not be too practical.

ok thanks rebrascora, will take you advice and stay up some more I am feeling tired but I don't have to go to work in the morning.

What sort of levels have been the norm for you recently? You say they have been very high since your friend's passing, but how high is that. Just wondering what your body might be capable of reducing that current 24 down to. You definitely need to be making an appointment later today to see a nurse or GP in the near future and it looks like you are overdue an HbA1c anyway, if your signature info is up to date. I would let them know that you were thinking of going to A&E when your levels got so high.... That should encourage them to find you an appointment if your surgery is one of those that is difficult to get appointments.

22.8 mmol now, before bed, my head will hi the pillow in about 20 mins night night all and thank you for your great help and advice.

Oh it seemed to have been climbing from just before Christmas (18mmol) I had noticed it was averaging 12mmol on rising previously which is also too high. off to bed now @rebrascora. and thank you for staying with me.

I will retest again in the morning.

Good Morning special friends, thanks so much for your support last night, all tips and suggestions were a great help to me.

This morning I am down to 15.7 mmol, which is a huge improvement on last nights readings, now to decide what I am eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner to help keep BG down.

I shall still go and get some of those ketostix to have in in case I get such a huge spike in the future.

I am supposed to go and get the HbA1C test but I have been putting it off as it means going to the hospital and sitting in a waiting room full of people for lord knows how long and its the very last thing I need should I be exposed to any bugs and end up with a lung infection and needing to take a course of steroids which really do spike the BG levels excessively on their own.

will keep you posted.

Good Health, Joy and calm to all throughout 2023.

PS my skin is very itchy this morning could that be connecting with high or quick drop in BG I wonder?

It sounds as if up to recently you had been managing quite well despite the need for steroids which are renowned for increasing blood glucose. Please that your actions last night helped but it would be a good idea to get ketosticks for any future occurance.
Where I am there are some pharmacies which will do your blood tests so you can book an appointment and take your form along. Very efficient.
Try this link for some ideas for meals. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

It sounds as if up to recently you had been managing quite well despite the need for steroids which are renowned for increasing blood glucose. Please that your actions last night helped but it would be a good idea to get ketosticks for any future occurance.
Where I am there are some pharmacies which will do your blood tests so you can book an appointment and take your form along. Very efficient.
Try this link for some ideas for meals. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Yes will do re the ketosticks going to get those asap, also looking at the great link you have included, thank you.

Well before lunch today I was down to 11.2 mmol, but this evening back up to 24mmol

My dinner tonight as below. the veg spring rolls were only 14 g carbs each although the sauce may have added a couple g more. the rest just veg, including mushrooms and thick slice of chicken.

I am just going to have to keep an eye on things more closely I think.

Attachments

• SpringRolls2023.png
    SpringRolls2023.png
    576.2 KB · Views: 8
Well before lunch today I was down to 11.2 mmol, but this evening back up to 24mmol

My dinner tonight as below. the veg spring rolls were only 14 g carbs each although the sauce may have added a couple g more. the rest just veg, including mushrooms and thick slice of chicken.

I am just going to have to keep an eye on things more closely I think.
It would be worth you testing before you eat and after 2 hours as that will give you a better idea if your meal is too high in carbs for you to tolerate.
Your meal looks as if it could be as much as 40g carb which if your blood glucose was already quite high would be enough to push it up to 24mmol/l which is indeed pretty high.
Did you get the ketone sticks to check.
I seem to remember it was suggested you try to speak to your GP or nurse today, did you have any success with that.
You levels are still pretty high as 11mmol/l is still high for a before meal level.

It looks as if your last HbA1C was over a year ago so you should be asking for an up to date test.

Hi Leadinglights, yes I got the keytone sticks, not testedyet, not yet spoken to the doc, I thought I would monitor a few more days before doing so. Yes I am due HbA1C also. thanks again.

itchy skin can be a sign of high blood sugar - I certainly used to get it when my BG was high (Before diagnosis). Can be caused by neuropathy or just dry skin.

10g of carbs can cause a rise of between 2 and 3, which about fits with that meal taking you from 11 to 24 if it’s around 40g of carbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back