Blood glucose keeps dropping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you double check the low reading with a finger prick before you ate the gummies? That is the key time to double check.
I believe you are in the USA, so wondering if it happened whilst you were sleeping and if so, it will likely be a compression low which happens when you lie on the sensor and would be why your levels went so high afterwards.... because you weren't actually low to start with.

I did yes. Right before ER visit.
Ok well don’t take this as official medical diagnosis, but I recently went for some genetic testing to determine my type of diabetes and the doctor there told me they have seen a large number of patients presenting as type 1 or 2 with off the chart blood sugars only to return to non diabetic. This usually happens within a 3 month period. Obviously I wouldn’t want to give you false hope but is worth discussing with your team

Did you double check the low reading with a finger prick before you ate the gummies? That is the key time to double check.
I believe you are in the USA, so wondering if it happened whilst you were sleeping and if so, it will likely be a compression low which happens when you lie on the sensor and would be why your levels went so high afterwards.... because you weren't actually low. I was fully awake when this happened.

Ok well don’t take this as official medical diagnosis, but I recently went for some genetic testing to determine my type of diabetes and the doctor there told me they have seen a large number of patients presenting as type 1 or 2 with off the chart blood sugars only to return to non diabetic. This usually happens within a 3 month period. Obviously I wouldn’t want to give you false hope but is worth discussing with your team
I was wondering this very same thing.

I believe you are in the USA, so wondering if it happened whilst you were sleeping and if so, it will likely be a compression low which happens when you lie on the sensor and would be why your levels went so high afterwards.... because you weren't actually low to start with.
I was fully awake when this happened. No I did not think to use test strip this time.

I was fully awake when this happened. No I did not think to use test strip this time.
There is plenty of time to double check a low reading so don't panic and reach for the hypo remedy straight away, especially when you are not using insulin. Normal none diabetic peoples' levels can drop below 70mg/dl quite naturally and the liver is easily able to bring it back up by releasing some of it's stores. The only reasons those of us using insulin to manage our diabetes need to use hypo treatments is that the extra insulin can in certain circumstances, out run the liver's ability to bring levels back up and we need to preserve our hypo awareness. The more time we spend below 4 the more our body gets used to it and reduces or stops giving us the warning signs we need to test and correct it. If you are not using insulin or medication which stimulates insulin production then your body will deal with these lows if they are indeed lows but my bed would be that your Libre is just reading a bit lower than your BG actually is.

There is plenty of time to double check a low reading so don't panic and reach for the hypo remedy straight away, especially when you are not using insulin. Normal none diabetic peoples' levels can drop below 70mg/dl quite naturally and the liver is easily able to bring it back up by releasing some of it's stores. The only reasons those of us using insulin to manage our diabetes need to use hypo treatments is that the extra insulin can in certain circumstances, out run the liver's ability to bring levels back up and we need to preserve our hypo awareness. The more time we spend below 4 the more our body gets used to it and reduces or stops giving us the warning signs we need to test and correct it. If you are not using insulin or medication which stimulates insulin production then your body will deal with these lows if they are indeed lows but my bed would be that your Libre is just reading a bit lower than your BG actually is.
Thank you so much for the information. I started taking my insulin the day that happened and took it last night to be safe. All reading were normal during the night after taking it. Did not take Humalog rapid insulin just Lantus for the night.

Obviously once you injected the insulin then yes it will drop your levels but your own pancreas was probably also in the process of tackling the problem by producing insulin itself, consequently you had a real hypo because of the injected insulin. ie... You were a bit too keen to respond to the natural fluctuations in your BG levels and caused a rollercoaster effect by eating gummies and then panicking about levels going high and injecting insulin. It is quite tempting to do this with Libre and you really need to be more patient and see what is happening over the longer term before taking action. If you were still at 245mg/dl 2 hours after eating the gummies then that would have been a more appropriate time to inject the insulin.

Obviously once you injected the insulin then yes it will drop your levels but your own pancreas was probably also in the process of tackling the problem by producing insulin itself, consequently you had a real hypo because of the injected insulin. ie... You were a bit too keen to respond to the natural fluctuations in your BG levels and caused a rollercoaster effect by eating gummies and then panicking about levels going high and injecting insulin. It is quite tempting to do this with Libre and you really need to be more patient and see what is happening over the longer term before taking action. If you were still at 245mg/dl 2 hours after eating the gummies then that would have been a more appropriate time to inject the insulin.
Thank you for the knowledge and reply. I am very new to this. I do appreciate all the help from everyone here. Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back