Blood Glucose is 11.8 after eating yikes :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple_Panda

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So I think I've been making some bad choices since my HBA1C went back down to 37 and binging every now and then.

But today this is what I've eaten (taken my metformin aswell):

- 4 no added sugar cookies.
- box of blueberries.
- six mini packets of those chicken fridge raiders.
- some fish from indian takeaway.

I'm trying to ascertain what made the spike up to 11.8 whether it was all those things in combination as ordinarily the blueberries wouldn't much above 7, the chicken I'm unsure (they might bulk it up with starch) and certainly not the fish (I've tested regularly for this in the past).

Should I take my other meds now (linagliptin and empagliflozin) or should I just wait and test in a few hours? We've discussed this often on here but I think the culprit must be the cookies.

Does this mean I will:

- never be able to go into T2 remission?
- never be able to come off the T2DM meds?
- never be able to eat normal carby stuff ever again like rice, noodles, cakes, even biscuits or my favourite sushi?

Bump

Hi @Purple_Panda and sorry you've taken a spike. Maybe next time just try one cookie and see if your BS shoots up? They will contain carbs even if they are no sugar. The main thing is that you have tested and now know that one of those items, or the combination, isn't good for you, and you'll be able to tweak it. Maybe cookies and no blueberries, or chicken and no cookies?

I personally don't think it means you'll never go into remission, and I'm sure you'll be able to eat a small amount of carby stuff on occasion. If I treat myself to a fun size pack of maltesers (100cals, around 13g carbs) I eat them before I go for my afternoon walk to avoid a potential spike.

PS, love your signature and like you, hope both can be reversed :D

So I think I've been making some bad choices since my HBA1C went back down to 37 and binging every now and then.

- box of blueberries.

I'm trying to ascertain what made the spike up to 11.8 whether it was all those things in combination as ordinarily the blueberries wouldn't much above 7, the chicken I'm unsure (they might bulk it up with starch) and certainly not the fish (I've tested regularly for this in the past).

Should I take my other meds now (linagliptin and empagliflozin) or should I just wait and test in a few hours? We've discussed this often on here but I think the culprit must be the cookies.

Does this mean I will:

- never be able to eat normal carby stuff ever again like rice, noodles, cakes, even biscuits or my favourite sushi?

It depends on what you mean when you say remission.

I am very uncomfortable with the definition appearing on this website which basically means being able to control blood glucose levels without medication.

The reason I am uncomfortable with that is that it may give false hope to people who believe they are, at least temporarily, able to eat what they want without re-spiking their glucose levels. That MAY be possible but I suspect in most cases it isn't that at all and that only by strict adherence to low carb regimes can medication be avoided. That may be enough for you in which case I'd say that it's perfectly possible to achieve that state and many on here have managed it.

Being able to eat normal carby stuff again is another kettle of fish altogether. I imagine you'd either need to remain on medication for that or achieve the status of "cured" which I am not sure is possible despite some claims that it has been done. Others are in a better position to know.

Hi. It will be the Cookies due to the carb content.

- box of blueberries.

Does this mean I will:

It does rather depend on when you tested and if you ate all those things together, but yes the sugar free cookies will have quite a few carbs, it should say on the packet and even a small 125g box of blueberries will have nearly 20g carb. The carbs should be on the pack of raiders so the only unknown is the fish.

I thunk you’ve seen problems with these sugsr free cookies before haven’t you @Purple_Panda ?

Sugar free doesn’t mean low carb - the flour in the cookies will be broken down into glucose in the bloodstream pretty rapidly.

You may still be able to include them as part of your diet, but it sounds like you need to try one, rather than 4, and if that is better maybe try two?

One biscuit is usually approx 10g of carbs. So your 4 biscuits and punnet of blueberries might be 60g of carbs - roughly what I would have for an evening meal.

Take heart though... Your HbA1c of 37 shows that your metabolism is certainly able to hold it’s own if you feed it the right things. What were you eating when you got that result?

Every once in a while I will get spikes like this, don't panic if you are following a great regime & it is rare to have these spikes just don't stress about it. When I have these I or I know I may be having a carb heavy day which you are not ablge to control due to external circumstances I will perhaps try to do a little more exercise or go for a longer walk & the next day just be careful of the carbs & food I am eating things return to normal. Don't stress as this can lead to comfort eating which can happen without thinking about it.

Do be careful with the Fridge Raiders as well as the Sugarless Cookies the hidden sugars are every where !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back