Blimey!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diabetes is all about keeping an eye on bg and making changes as they arise. Reading your posts you don't seem to find a even-keel with your basal insulin, have you not thought about a possible change of insulin to see if this helps resolve your problems?

Diabetes is all about keeping an eye on bg and making changes as they arise. Reading your posts you don't seem to find a even-keel with your basal insulin, have you not thought about a possible change of insulin to see if this helps resolve your problems?

It's just when I change my activity levels significantly toby. I've been on 7 lantus for a couple of months due to being injured and not being able to run, but now I'm stepping it up and need to start reducing dose. I imagine I would have the same problem on another insulin, and if I was on a pump I'd be changing basal rates even more frequently (or using temp basals, from reading the posts in Pumping!).

I think this is one of the conundrums about carb counting - on the face of it, it sounds very straightforward: x units for xx grams. But that doesn't tell you how much you need to change the ratio when your body becomes more sensitive to the insulin (or resistant, when ill). I'm sure things will settle again when I get used to this level of exercise. 🙂

I think this is one of the conundrums about carb counting - on the face of it, it sounds very straightforward: x units for xx grams. But that doesn't tell you how much you need to change the ratio when your body becomes more sensitive to the insulin (or resistant, when ill). I'm sure things will settle again when I get used to this level of exercise. 🙂

I absolutely agree Alan. I'm fine once I've worked out this week's ratio/basal, but these levels are rarely fixed for me for more than a few weeks at a time. The overall principles are simple enough, but in aiming for tight control this year I've noticed far more variation than I had realised was going on.

On the plus side, those errant readings feels more 'understandable' now. I don't have so many complete 'Ehhhhhhhhhhh!?!' moments these days (though I did have one yesterday funnily enough... caught between the end of a cold with ratios dropping back to normal and a gym day where I ended up far higher than I'd expected to at a point where I thought I was going to be heading for a hypo!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back