Big eater advice

Flossie19

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I’m new here and hoping for support for my husband (T2). He is hugely overweight and is always hungry. Any ideas for filling meals (no nuts or fish) would be great. Already eats loads of veg but not keen on fruit. Cutting down on bread is key for us, and reducing the size of each meal. Thanks in advance

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Many forum members find a low carb / higher fat way of eating with reasonable protein intake helps them feel fuller for longer, and self-moderates portion size.

Carbohydrates are generally absorbed within the first hour or two after eating, whereas fats and protein take much longer to break down and keep BG more stable.

Wide ranging blood glucose fluctuations trigger hunger - so carbs can be a bit of a double-whammy. The digestive system absorbs them fast, and is ready for more while the BG spikes and crashes trigger a hunger response requesting more food!

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Flossie19 and welcome to the forum to you and your husband.
Loosing weight is a challenge that many of us on the forum have faced!:(
It has been said though that it takes 2 weeks of change to break a habit, and then it gets easier!

Over the years I have been a yo-yo dieter, but surprisingly getting diagnosed with Diabetes helped me find the way to keep weight off.
I find that a low carb diet suites me well to keep the blood glucose down, and in focusing on carb counting the pounds started to roll off. We are all different though and your husband needs to find a solution that is right for him.

You may find it helpful to read Maggie Davey's letter, which shows how this lady found a solution, and also has some tips on what to eat.
There are also some ideas on the forum link Food/carb queries + recipes
I hope you find a good solution and please keep posting and let us know how it goes and we will always try to answer any questions.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Why don't you try gradually cutting down on the size of meals rather than huge changes. I have found drastic changes didn't work for me , the gradual ones have.

Amity Island

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I’m new here and hoping for support for my husband (T2). He is hugely overweight and is always hungry. Any ideas for filling meals (no nuts or fish) would be great. Already eats loads of veg but not keen on fruit. Cutting down on bread is key for us, and reducing the size of each meal. Thanks in advance
Hi,
The hunger may be caused by excess insulin? A guy I know is type 2, he said as his doses kept increasing (to try and bring his blood sugar into range due to insulin resistance) so did his hunger. He said no matter what, how much or how little he ate, he was constantly hungry.

Last edited:

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Cutting down on the high carb foods should help with the hunger as it is a response to all the insulin released as a reaction to eating grain and potatoes.
You could try replacing half the potato in mash with turnip or swede, including a salad with dinner, or a stirfy, and if you have to have bread, then livlife has only 4 gm of carbs in each slice, though they are small.

Lilian

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Sometimes thirst can be mistaken for hunger. It might not be easy to up his water content, but a large low calorie/sugar squash might help to stave off the hunger until the next meal. Try and encourage him not to eat between meals so as to give his last meal time to digest and clear out of his stomach. Is he really 'hungry' or is it merely something to do, or an excuse to stop doing something. There are a lot of feelings that are mistaken for hunger. It is a constant joke on TV where the girl is dumped by her boyfriend and she goes straight to a tub of ice cream.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The more carbs you eat, the more you want.... this is why obesity happens.... it is self perpetuating.
He needs to cut back on his carbohydrates... bread, pasta, rice, potatoes as well as the obvious cakes, biscuits and sweets.
If he is hungry, give him a boiled egg salad with coleslaw or a meat or tuna salad. If he is still hungry give him a second plate of the same. Or a plate of meat and vegetables but only one or two small new potatoes and the rest mostly leafy green veg. I find that cabbage or kale or leeks cooked in a little butter or bacon fat taste so much nicer that just boiled, so you might try that if he is not keen on them.
I agree that drinking plenty of low carb fluids, ideally water will also help, but you will need to read labels to get one which has a very low carbohydrate content. I usually need glasses to read this info as it is often in tiny print on the back of food packaging.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
One of the things that registered me speechless when first diagnosed was giving up sugar in drinks instantly, first cup of tea was vile (but still drank it since I was so thirsty constantly) The second wasn't as bad By the third, I had discovered what rendered me speechless - that tea and coffee without sugar are both far more thirst quenching than with sugar!

Plus, when it's warm - a hot drink rehydrates you a lot better and quicker than a gallon of cold!

Sally W

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’m the same & what’s helping me is eating a tiny breakfast & reducing my appetite by a longer overnight fasting. Deprivation doesn’t work for me but knowing I can eat later seems to help and then when I do eat my appetite is smaller. Best of luck