BG Testing while in Hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully you are feeling better now and there wasn't anything too serious wrong.
Without knowing what else was happening on the ward there could have been any number of reasons why your blood tests were not carried out at the right times (or they were you were just eating outside of hospital meal times🙂). If you wnat to test exactly when you wnat i'd reccommend that anyone takes their meter in with them, although to be aware that dosing decisions usually cannot be made on outside meters.

Some people should take a hint. There are some beliefs that I just wouldn't die for. I've not experienced animal insulins so for me all is well. I'm not going to change seeing as I've got the pump coming and I haven't really got any grounds to change.

Absolutely right Tom. The problem is that many people that were on animal insulins for decades (I am on porcine) have problems changing over to synthetic insulin - the main one being loss of hypo symptoms. I know of a number of people who have been on animal insulin long term like myself and of two who were changed onto it because it worked beter for them. Sadly some years ago I met a woman who would not take animal insulin because of her vegan principles despite the fact she reacted badly to synthetic. She was developing major complications - I just hope they got her to change her mind!

Hi Tom, Apparently they did try all the arguments such as that insulin was a byproduct and not the reason for slaughtering. I was at a loss for words as she already had eye and kidney problems developing. These days people on synthetic insulin are only changed if there is a medical reason. The two I have come across were because i) the guy has no hypo symtoms on synthetic and had ended up in A&E numerous times - he got them once they changed him over to porcine and ii) a woman who was generally unwell and moody on synthetic was fine on porcine. But then we are all different are we not? Congratulations about the pump anyway. I believe they do not pump animal insulins?

I believe they do not pump animal insulins?

We had a member here type1sue and she used animal insulin in her pump, but I believe it's pretty unusual. She's the only person I have heard of. I know she had to fight the PCT for funding because the consultant wouldn't approve it.

We had a member here type1sue and she used animal insulin in her pump. I know she had to fight the PCT for funding because the consultant wouldn't approve it.

I am not surprised considering the nonsense I had with Dr W Kerr (is he a vegan?) saying that nobody should be on animal insulins last time I was in hospital. Considering I had come into an orthopedic ward via a 999 ambulance and A&E it was really nothing to do with him! He only got involved because the Trust did not stock any porcine insulin and I only had the Actrapid with me as accidents are unplanned! P.S. That is not his real name!

I am not surprised considering the nonsense I had with Dr W Kerr (is he a vegan?) saying that nobody should be on animal insulins last time I was in hospital. Considering I had come into an orthopedic ward via a 999 ambulance and A&E it was really nothing to do with him! He only got involved because the Trust did not stock any porcine insulin and I only had the Actrapid with me as accidents are unplanned! P.S. That is not his real name!

I'm guessing Wayne was not his first name either...😉:D

Hope you are feeling better x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back