BG Testing while in Hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Holborn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Was rushed in to hospital yesterday morning at 5am due to bad reaction to new tablet. Was kept in for 14 hours for a blood test to check for enzymes as I have a heart condition. About 11am, having nothing to eat since 7:30 Tuesday night my o/h bought me a BLT roll. I had nearly finished it when a nurse arrived to test my BS. Stated that I was eating so not exactly the best time to test. She agreed but said the staff nurse told her to do it. So offered up my finger, still eating the BLT, sample taken, ten seconds later given result, 10.2.
Thirty minutes after evening meal, couple of spoons of cottage pie, nurse arrives again to test. Straight away she said she knew it was the wrong time to test but has her orders. Test result 8.4.
Looking forward to my OGGT next month 🙂

By the way no increase in Enzymes, heart 'Normal', so kicked out at 7pm.

Ooh scary glad the Enzyme levels were ok - I hope you are feeling better now. Take things easy

Holborn this is no word of a lie but i was sending you a pm until my son distracted me and i had to come out of it then i saw this post, i was wondering why you where not about yesterday well this explains it, hope you get plenty rest and take it easy x

Hope you are feeling better.

Glad nothing serious was wrong, but good to have the checks done.

Sadly many things in hospitals (timing of medication, blood tests, food, etc.) seem to be done for the benefit of the staff and not the patient! Last time I was in somebody decided that nobody should be on animal insulin anymore. It was not a success!

animal insulin?

all the stuff like novorapid etc is synthetic insulin hun. I *think* animal insulin is directly from an animal? Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. Isn't usually pig?

all the stuff like novorapid etc is synthetic insulin hun. I *think* animal insulin is directly from an animal? Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. Isn't usually pig?

Animal insulin is extracted from the pancreases of slaughtered animals. From the little that I know it's usually either bovine or porcine insulin. Novorapid is synthesised by bacteria that have been genetically modified using recombinant DNA technology.

Oh, a little add on, Banting and Best carried out their original work on stray dogs found wandering around in Canada.

Animal insulin is extracted from the pancreases of slaughtered animals. From the little that I know it's usually either bovine or porcine insulin. Novorapid is synthesised by bacteria that have been genetically modified using recombinant DNA technology.

oh yummy......😱 so we either inject dead animals pacreas stuff into us or bacteria...

ew...

😱

lol :D

Holborn this is no word of a lie but i was sending you a pm until my son distracted me and i had to come out of it then i saw this post, i was wondering why you where not about yesterday well this explains it, hope you get plenty rest and take it easy x

Thanks. Am resting and of to have a bit of a nap in a minute.

oh yummy......😱 so we either inject dead animals pacreas stuff into us or bacteria...

ew...

😱

lol :D

Hahaha, we don't inject the bacteria. They remain in the fermentation vats where they produce the insulin. It wouldn't be economically viable otherwise due to the costs of recombinant DNA technology. Despite the strain of bacteria used being non pathogenic it could still do damage if it go into the wrong places, e.g. into human tissues which are normally sterile. I think the bacteria used is a non pathogenic strain of Escherichia coli.

Oh, I seem to be forgetting to put alot of stuff into my first shot at thigs at the moment, all so called Human insulins are all manufactured in the same manner as Novorapid.

Glad to hear it, hope the sleeping regime id abit better then of late.

That was the maddening part. Got off to sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow, woke up around 4am to powder my nose. Was very giddy and felt like I was going to passout. Went back to bed but feeling stayed the same and I started to get a pain in my neck and jaw. That was enough, o/h phoned for ambulance.
Had about 6 hours of sleep last night, feeling drowsey now.

Absolutely right Tom. The problem is that many people that were on animal insulins for decades (I am on porcine) have problems changing over to synthetic insulin - the main one being loss of hypo symptoms. I know of a number of people who have been on animal insulin long term like myself and of two who were changed onto it because it worked beter for them. Sadly some years ago I met a woman who would not take animal insulin because of her vegan principles despite the fact she reacted badly to synthetic. She was developing major complications - I just hope they got her to change her mind!

Absolutely right Tom. The problem is that many people that were on animal insulins for decades (I am on porcine) have problems changing over to synthetic insulin - the main one being loss of hypo symptoms. I know of a number of people who have been on animal insulin long term like myself and of two who were changed onto it because it worked beter for them. Sadly some years ago I met a woman who would not take animal insulin because of her vegan principles despite the fact she reacted badly to synthetic. She was developing major complications - I just hope they got her to change her mind!

Some people should take a hint. There are some beliefs that I just wouldn't die for. I've not experienced animal insulins so for me all is well. I'm not going to change seeing as I've got the pump coming and I haven't really got any grounds to change.

Hahaha, we don't inject the bacteria. They remain in the fermentation vats where they produce the insulin. It wouldn't be economically viable otherwise due to the costs of recombinant DNA technology. Despite the strain of bacteria used being non pathogenic it could still do damage if it go into the wrong places, e.g. into human tissues which are normally sterile. I think the bacteria used is a non pathogenic strain of Escherichia coli.

And isn't one of the synthetics wrapped up in salmon sperm ?

And isn't one of the synthetics wrapped up in salmon sperm ?

As I recall NPH (Neutral Protamine Hagedorn) does have some part of Salmon sperm in it. I can't quite recall. Time to look that one up I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back