1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

BG not coming down yet

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by happydog, Nov 10, 2019 at 9:35 PM.

1. happydog

happydog Well-Known Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 2
    Since my husband died in August my BG has been higher than it was. At first I hoped that it was just stress but two and a half months on and it is still higher in the morning, often about 8 and seldom going below 6 now. I control it with diet and exercise but it does not seem to be working as well as it was. I have not changed my eating or exercise habits. I am just hoping that it is not the beginning of a deterioration. My doctor is firmly of the opinion that diabetes is progressive and that it will get worse and eventually I will end up on insulin. Feel sad that it looks as though he will be proved right in the end :(. I have tried so hard.

2. Drummer

Drummer Well-Known Member

Type 2
    What are your levels after eating?
    Those are the things you can check and adjust, and which did cause a readjustment in my Hba1c level.
    As a type two you start off overproducing insulin, it is only years of exertion which cause a pancreas to fail, if you are a standard type two.

3. Pumper_Sue

Pumper_Sue Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Sometimes your body needs a little bit of extra help, it certainly doesn't mean you have failed or your GP is right. Remember after a bereavement you grieve for a very long time and two and a half months is not very long at all (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))). The fact you are achieving 8 and below under the circumstances is amazing so well done you.

rebrascora, Flower, grovesy and 3 others like this.
  4. everydayupsanddowns

everydayupsanddowns Moderator

Type 1
    Sorry to hear your BGs are still raised @happydog

You are going through a lot at the moment, and it’s understandable that diabetes might be taking a be taking a back seat. I think during grieving its not uncommon for the future to look a bit bleak at times and to worry about what’s coming.

it doesn’t help that you’ve had the ‘inevitably progressive’ line from your HCP - and maybe that is true for some people - but it certainly doesn’t seem to be true for everyone on the forum and even if there is a gradual movement towards needing a little more support through meds etc, there are others on the forum who have slowed or reversed that progress and now need fewer or no medications.

Not that meds are a bad thing - we all just need what we need - and as a T1 nobody would consider I’ve failed because I need insulin. So no one should consider it a failing for a T2 to need some medication support to help their BGs IMO.

Flower, Pumper_Sue, grovesy and 2 others like this.
  5. Ljc

Ljc Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Oh Happydog two or three months is no time at all and to be honest I am amazed that you are achieving such good levels without meds.
    I think your doc has a jaundiced view as he has likely seen far more people with T2 who have followed that healthy eating plate advise and those that make no changes than people like yourself who try very hard. Yes in some people it may progress it may even be that they have undiagnosed LADA instead.
    No , meds are not inevitable for T2 nor if you do need to go on tablets does it mean you will need to stay on them.
    And to be honest if you do need to go on meds you must not and should not feel you have failed, it’s just that your body needs a little extra help.
    TC XXX

6. Toucan

Toucan Active Member

Type 2
    Hello Happydog,
    My heart goes out to you, as you are having to cope with one of life's most difficult events. As others have said, give yourself and your body time to adjust to the many changes. In different circumstances my doctor said very much the same to me, and that was 6 years ago, and it hasn't been correct for me as my BS levels have gradually dropped.
    Are you getting as much sleep as you were? Disturbed sleep can effect blood sugars, especially morning readings. There are many ideas to help with this. I have a list that I can send you if this would be a help.

7. Pine Marten

Pine Marten Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I agree with what others have said, @happydog, a few months is no time at all - when my first husband died I only started to feel life was starting to be bearable after about 18 months in, so please be kind to yourself, look after yourself and try to take one day at a time. Your readings are still good, and I applaud that you are managing without medication. Put your doctor's remarks to one side and carry on as you have been doing, and remember that we are all here for you. Love and {{{hugs}}} to you xxx

8. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Active Member

Type 2
    Hello happydog,
    My sympathies for your loss. Like the others I feel you are doing very well under the circumstances. So don't be hard on yourself and expect too much.
    Partners usually split roles to a certain extent, thus you are probably still dealing with things that are fairly new to you, So it isn't just the grief that you are having to deal with.
    Are you on any new medicines to help you cope?
    If so, they could be raising your Blood Glucose levels.

Best Wishes,
    Ian

9. DaveB

DaveB Well-Known Member

Type 1.5 LADA
    Hi. What meds are you on? Diabetes isn't necessarily progressive but it is if you follow out-dated NHS diet advice. Are you keeping the carbs down and not following 'low-fat' diet advice? Aiming for 150gm/day or less carbs is a good target to start with but may be you are already doing this.

10. rebrascora

rebrascora Well-Known Member

Type 1
    I am so sorry for your loss.
    I agree with the others that you are still quite early in the grieving process and that is a huge upheaval on your whole system, so don't be too impatient for your previous good results to return.... I would personally be extremely happy with those results as my readings are all over the place, but I appreciate they are not ideal.

As regards diet and exercise having controlled it so far, it may be that tweaking your diet a bit might help to lower your levels a little for the moment if you feel you want to be proactive . Can you give us an idea of your average daily menu, so that we can perhaps suggest where changes might be made.
    As @Ljc mentioned, it is likely that there are quite a few people who are LADA (a slow onset variety of Type 1) rather than Type 2 and have been misdiagnoses for many years and whilst eating low carb and exercising can possibly slow the degeneration process down, they will eventually need insulin and it is certainly not a failure that this happens.

ianf0ster likes this.