Bg Is 19.00 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to get in touch with your diabetic team. Your levels have been high all day and you don't know how long they have been like that.

How close do you and Laura live - could she let you use one of her ketone strips just to check your levels ? If they are high then call NHS direct for advice. If they are OK go to a pharmacy in the morning and buy some strips. The pharmacist will normally give you a receipt then when you get the strips on a prescription they will refund you the money.

If they don't start coming down it might be worth changing your novo cartridge just incase there's something wrong with it, when did you start on your current cartridge?

I'm one step ahead! Lol. Already told him to ring them but he wants to see what happens when he tests again at 11:40.

Men!! lol 🙄

Haha! Great minds Laura! Even at this hour! 🙂

You need to get in touch with your diabetic team. Your levels have been high all day and you don't know how long they have been like that.

How close do you and Laura live - could she let you use one of her ketone strips just to check your levels ? If they are high then call NHS direct for advice. If they are OK go to a pharmacy in the morning and buy some strips. The pharmacist will normally give you a receipt then when you get the strips on a prescription they will refund you the money.

Great idea Margie- also, if you went in with your insulin prescription as proof of your diabetes that might help your cause for pot on the sly...😉

I don't live near Matt. Used to but he's moved away or I'd have taken him some sticks :(

gone down to 18.4 now need to recheck at 11.40 🙂

Good to hear it's going down Matt, keep checking 🙂 It sounds to me like you need to make up a checklist of things you need to get in order to get good control over your diabetes. You should try and get an appointment with a DSN as soon as you can and ask her/him about education courses - DAFNE is the main one, but there are others. This will teach you about all aspects of diabetes and also about carb counting and ratios. You should also make sure that you have all the tools you need - ketone testing sticks high on the list it appears! There is a blood meter that will test for ketones as well as glucose, so this might be an option (anyone remind me what meter it is?).

If you want a good reference book then I'd recommend getting hold of a copy of Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults: How to Become an Expert on Your Own Diabetes by Ragnar Hanas. The more you know about your diabetes, what to expect and how to deal with it, the better your life will be :D

northe its the optium xceed

matt - keep checking and get some water in you quick. Also, get yourself to your DSN YESTERDAY - it sounds like you need help getting your insulin sorted out. Do you carb count?

I don't think Diabetics have mastered time travel yet! 😛 lol x

I'm not joking. Its a pretty serious matter, and I think Matt seriously needs to get himself down to his DSN as soon as possible! GP monday morning if he doesn't know who his DSN is.

Matt - don't worry, you're gunna be fine but you do ideally need to go and talk to someone so you can get some ketone strips asap - if i were you i would get the optium xceed meter and the ketone strips with that - much easier than peeing on sticks. Talking to your DSN would certainly help as they will help you sort out your insulin requirements.

Believe it or not, I was in your situation once too. I know what its like. I had no idea what was going on and why my levels were constantly up so high. But I got through it and so can you, just don't panic. PM me if you want to talk.

Last edited:
I only said that because you wrote yesterday when I presumed you ment to say ASAP? Sorry, didn't mean to upset you.

I agree with you though. I've been in this situation before and it's not nice.

hope you are feeling better this morning reading this thread has made me realise that i havent got any kentones sticks ether the doc or the dsn have never given me any will run down to chemist today and then go at shout at the power that be on monday

I only said that because you wrote yesterday when I presumed you ment to say ASAP? Sorry, didn't mean to upset you.

I agree with you though. I've been in this situation before and it's not nice.

no, it just kind of struck a tad too close to home but it doesn't matter. The term "yesterday" is that context can be used to say "yeah get your backside down the doctors now yo!" or anything to that extent. Its one of those analogies that doesn't really make sense, but kind of does.

You're right, its not nice.

Mate what are we? Born Again Diabetics? :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back