Best things to munch..

paulnicholls

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm presuming the best snack type munch things to have are fruit and veg? I've jut had some laughing cow cheese spread on a couple of celery sticks, a couple of satsumas and an apple.

Usually I would have had toast before diagnosis but that is obviously out.

Are bananas bad? Strawberries? I may even find myself munching through a raw carrot in a bit!

ukjohn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Paul
I've never been told not to eat toast, in fact, I have two slices of toast every morning with a half teaspoon of Manuka active honey spread on it. My diabetic care team are aware of this and have never stopped me, I sometimes also sprinkle a little cinnamon on to it.
John

paulnicholls

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm trying to be as good as possible John. Bread sent me to nearly 23 on the blood sugar yesterday. I'm down at around 13.5 or so today. Last night I eat loads and loads of nuts, mixed, Brazil and others. These seemed fine to me. I'd love to think I can eat nuts as I would really miss them.

I'm looking forward to seeing what a day of eating ridiculously healthy brings me.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm presuming the best snack type munch things to have are fruit and veg? I've jut had some laughing cow cheese spread on a couple of celery sticks, a couple of satsumas and an apple.

Usually I would have had toast before diagnosis but that is obviously out.

Are bananas bad? Strawberries? I may even find myself munching through a raw carrot in a bit!

Hi Paul,

Bananas are OK - if they're not too ripe. The GI of a banana increases the riper it gets, so a 'black' one is like pure sugar! Remember that you still need carbs. Things like wholemeal bread, toast etc. is OK, especially if it is granary or seeded as the GI is quite low and it will release energy slowly. Fruit has sugar in it (fructose), so if you're eating that and would prefer toast I think you could probably exchange one for the other (depending on quantities!). I've found peanuts a good thing to nibble on as they don't contain carbs and lower the GI of other foods you may have consumed, plus, they have the 'healthy' fat that helps keep the cholesterol lower.

I think it's easier if you're on insulin, as you can 'cover' any carbs by increasing the units injected. I guess if not, you do have to limit your carb intake.

Cheers,

Alan

xbethanyx

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
i munch on various things with little to no carbs -
cheese
pepperami (usually just the one as it has 0.6g of carbs)
some meats
2 jacobs crackers
lettuce! lol

Ikey the tinker

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I munch on seeds, brazil and cashew nuts, and celery/carrot during the day. Sometimes have the odd banana, but in moderation as they are quite sugary.

I used to make huge fruit salads with everything in, unfortunately they are out because of the fructose.

Lizzie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I think as others have said, it is an individual thing. You could experiment with different types of bread, there are many. Even in sliced bread, you can get white, brown, wholemeal and different grains. Then there are things like rolls, ciabatta, pitta, bagels, farls, crumpets... My method is to check the carb count on the side, I try and get bread with grains and prefer sliced as I am clumsy when trying to slice bread. My current favourite is Burgen Soya and Linseed which is around 10g carb per slice.

It also depends what you have on the toast.

Nuts are also good, as is fruit and veg, I love satsumas. My advice is to find a local market and go along about an hour or so before closing - you get bargain prices and can discover all sorts of new fruit and veg. I found romanesco broccoli this way and as well as being delicious it is the most beautiful vegetable I have ever seen.

I have also got some little mini jelly moulds from John Lewis recently and have started making sugar free jellies in them. If anyone is interested they are here http://www.decuisine.co.uk/cookshop...d=0c810535a1a1205cb8c1f9e1a3c4abbe.1179902968

annemaria

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
iv been eating raisins when i need something sweet, r they ok to eat?

jeanus44

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I always have toast for breakfast..sometimes with a few baked beans and tinned tomatoes..I found bananas mad me feel crap so try to leave them out!

VBH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Nuts.

Bananas are NOT ok generally. I know some very experienced T1s who use HALF a banana to avoid a hypo.

They also use a small quantity of raisins as an alternative.

In other words they are using these to bring their BG up as fast as possible, in the absence of lucozade, fruit juices, skimmed milk etc.

Most other fruits can hit your BG hard as well. Try it for yourself. Have some fruit and test at 1 hour with your meter to see what it has done to your BG. A fast rise in BG like that can also cause it to crash towards 4 or lower.

Berries are not too bad however. I've also found that at the right time of the day I can handle a small apple without problems.

It all depends what your meter tells you.

An oatcake or two may not be too bad, with benecol and cheese in particular to slow down the 6g of carb per oatcake. Have an experiment with all of this and let your meter be your guide to what you can and cannot "get away with".

Despite the PCT accountants trying to take away our test strips, this is probably still the best tool to manage T2 and a significant help for T1s: Jennifer's Advice (link)

Note to admin - links are not highlighted very well in this theme.

Pattidevans

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I totally agree VBH. I am T1 and have used half a banana for a hypo, unfortunately it sent my BG into the stratosphere very quickly, so I now just take 1 Lucozade tablet followed by a couple of low carb biscuits if the next meal is a way away. Nothing like sending your BG very high to cause you to crash down again a little later!