1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Being at School in the 60s T1

Discussion in 'Diabetes in School' started by HOBIE, Jul 16, 2018.

1. HOBIE

HOBIE Well-Known Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 1
    I was talking to my good mate last night (a retired Headmaster) & I was telling him what it was like for my mother to get me to school. Was on fixed amounts of insulin & had to eat 50g of carbs every meal. Being 4-5 I hated it. 6 pints of milk a day or being very sick. Before school ? :eek:

2. HOBIE

HOBIE Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Thank goodness for Tech :cool:

3. HOBIE

HOBIE Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Just got a storey from my cousin in New Zealand. Oldest T1 diabetic. 90 yr old ? :cool:

4. VICTOR HILL

VICTOR HILL Well-Known Member

Type 1
    6 pints of milk bet he thought of it now, would be like having 6 pints of guiness ? fun but flat out on the floor
    have good xmas HOBIE.
    STEADY ON THE Carbs o shucks just like being at school again .
    vic ha hah

HOBIE likes this.
  5. HOBIE

HOBIE Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Am off to Cockney land on the 1st of April (couple of weeks time) with Newcastle uni Dental hosp. Would love to meet you Victor.

6. VICTOR HILL

Type 1
    hi HOBIE .
    PALINGSWICH HOME
    WHAT school did you go to .??
    and do you remember INKY JOHNSON ,CRIGTON IMERE .PHILIP PARRETT
    also mrs watson ,mr warburton and did you go to to the kitchens to help with the wash up metal trays full of cups and saucers plates which were dumped in hot water .cheese from the kitchen .
    and if i remember the girls had top floor boys bedrooms second floor .
    also the trolley buses down king street vic

7. HOBIE

HOBIE Well-Known Member

Type 1
    I will PM You Victor in a day or so. Even at school you have been active, well done :cool:

8. VICTOR HILL

Type 1
    sorry Hobie
    should have replied about you LONDON trip hope all goes well on april the 1 st not able to meet on that day as i live near bury st edmunds hope you have a good trip what part are you going to
    regards vic

HOBIE likes this.
  9. HOBIE

HOBIE Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Thanks Victor. Please look after yourself. I am representing Newcastle Dental Hosp in there work on Gum Infections. I have not got it but lots of Diabetics have. High bg is bad news for lots of things:)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  10. nonethewiser

nonethewiser Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Amen to that Hobie.

Remember first clinic appointment at the hospital after being discharged, waiting was a poor man in a wheelchair who had one of his legs amputated, don't know if it was due to his diabetes but it made me so sad and fearful for the future.

HOBIE likes this.
  11. HOBIE

HOBIE Well-Known Member

Type 1
    I can remember being in Hosp & the fella in the next bed had had both legs re-moved through smoking ? Not good & a sensible type ?

12. nonethewiser

nonethewiser Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Very tragic.

Second night in hospital there was a commotion at 2 in the morning, remember waking to medics rushing about and pulling a curtain around the opposite bed, he was a old fella about 90 and sadly died, it was a general ward and his death was unrelated to diabetes but it scared the b'jesus out of me, couldn't get back to sleep thinking about the old boy.

13. HOBIE

HOBIE Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Think about it ?

14. VICTOR HILL

Type 1
    well well HOBBIE Dentist GUMS well after many many years of crowns , teeth filled , and i will say have had one or two teeth out it the last 20/30 each year s i now have all false teeth .
    and as a tip i was on Myfortic for my kidney transplant had it stopped about 5 years back as it was causing
    lots of mouth ulcers very difficult to treat now all good . yes still doing steady doing oddd jobs in garden .
    took down 2 x 30 foot pines trees all done with ropes and very steady dropped them on to a smaller willow tree then pulling down and cut them up by hand saw in 6 foot length s all will my sister in law looking on just in case of problems
    l some veery low blood sugars to but reducing insulin and glucose tablets hufff and puffs and away i go keep s fit two best wishes vic 63 years on insulin

HOBIE and Northerner like this.
  15. HOBIE

HOBIE Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Well done Vic. Lumberjack complete with Sister in law :D. You are still very active ;) (Double Gold Star) :):)