Been told not to correct for 24 hours after a hypo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
In my appointment So I was just told not to correct 24 hour after a hypo but I always have done.

Was this advice from your consultant at the hopsital?

That advice seems ridiculous- yes it’s true that hypos can eat up the livers glucose store but that would take a lot of hypos and major ones at that.

Was this advice from your consultant at the hopsital?

That advice seems ridiculous- yes it’s true that hypos can eat up the livers glucose store but that would take a lot of hypos and major ones at that.
diabetic nurse it was because i include a correction with my tea after a hypo(which didn't work and ended up eating less carbs then i planed as well because i includded a a small ice cream with me tea and compeellty forget about it)

I don’t understand that advice at all.

Do you treat the hypo then inject?

I don’t understand that advice at all.

Do you treat the hypo then inject?
No sorry badlly pharses on Saturday I had hypo in afternoon (I don't inject after I treated the hypos that would be bad). Then letter on when it came time for tea(by which my evening meal) I was 10.1so I added a correction to my food. It was when she was looking at what I loged she said 'do you know not to correct for 24 hours after a hypo"

Last edited:
No sorry badlly pharses on Saturday I had hypo in afternoon (I don't inject after I treated the hypos that would be bad). Then letter on when it came time for tea(by which my evening meal) I was 10.8 so I added a correction to my food. It was when she was looking at what I loged she said 'do you know not to correct for 24 hours after a hypo"
Ah - I thought you meant when you tested for tea you found you were hypo

This is the day she made that comment to

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220704-172724.png
    Screenshot_20220704-172724.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 11
Hi. I would question that advice. I think the nurse is trying to avoid you getting into a vicious circle but 24 hours is ridiculous. As long as you don't 'stack' insulin then taking it if you are high is usually sensible; just try to get the dose right and if in doubt inject a bit less than you might otherwise and keep testing.

Yeah if it was literally straight after I might leave once after a a earlier hypo by dinner time I was 16 so I was cerillty correcting that

I wonder whether some of the advice is still based on where we just finger pricking before meals and had no idea of what was going on in between. With sensors we have a lot more info and I think they might have modified their advice, even for those without sensors

On MDI I think I would have adjusted corrections using my common sense at the following meal. After a mild hypo, which I tried not to over treat, I would reduce a correction if necessary, all depending on the levels.

If I was in an awkward circumstances with people I didn’t know and had a hypo I might over treat at the time to avoid any issues. I would then add a correction in at the next meal as I know that I had overloaded with carbs, but again adjust based on common sense.

If I had a stubborn hypo and loaded the carbs I might ease up at the next meal with the correction to allow my liver to recover, but I certainly would NT wait for 24 hours.

You might want to use the DSNs advice as an opportunity to ask for the Libre if you have not already tried that.

I wonder whether some of the advice is still based on where we just finger pricking before meals and had no idea of what was going on in between. With sensors we have a lot more info and I think they might have modified their advice, even for those without sensors

On MDI I think I would have adjusted corrections using my common sense at the following meal. After a mild hypo, which I tried not to over treat, I would reduce a correction if necessary, all depending on the levels.

If I was in an awkward circumstances with people I didn’t know and had a hypo I might over treat at the time to avoid any issues. I would then add a correction in at the next meal as I know that I had overloaded with carbs, but again adjust based on common sense.

If I had a stubborn hypo and loaded the carbs I might ease up at the next meal with the correction to allow my liver to recover, but I certainly would NT wait for 24 hours.

You might want to use the DSNs advice as an opportunity to ask for the Libre if you have not already tried that.

I currently am just finger pricking because the libre was given me nothing but issues and I gave it several changes.

I currently am just finger pricking because the libre was given me nothing but issues and I gave it several changes.
Jah just realized you subjected asking for the libre but yeah as u said it caused me nothing but problems and actually ended up causing me more stress then helping because of their consent failers(like failing after 2 or 3 days) this was for the entire time I was one them from September or November to January or February. So yeah if and when the new guidelines finally get picked up I'll try something else.

I do tend to test 2 hours after eating anywhere to get a rough idea of patterns and sense of my timings for certain foods plus too sea if it might be a good idea to eat something.

The DAFNE guidelines I believe are not to correct with the next bolus after a hypo if you are high but 24hrs is crazy. I find these rules useful to understand what the risks are ie. that your liver may have been depleted of stores and need to replenish in the next 24hrs, but that is generally only for a bad hypo and usually you can see when it has happened. I almost always correct at the earliest opportunity because I know my own body and how it reacts far better than a nurse that I might see once in a blue moon and as @SB2015 suggests they were to keep people safe when they were only finger pricking a few times a day but with modern technology I think they are less applicable because we can track out levels much more easily, although I appreciate that you aren't using CGM at the moment..
I am wondering if she mentioned this because your levels dropped again.... by the sound of it because you bolused for an ice cream that you didn't eat.... in which case she was probably right to highlight it, but as long as you know that the cause was something else ie not eating the ice cream, then you were right to correct, you just made a different error, like we all do sometimes. If you are confident and comfortable doing corrections at the next meal if levels are high then, I would follow your gut instinct and ignore this "rule". If however you are repeatedly hypoing a second time after doing a correction following a hypo then you need to reappraise your strategy and take this advice into consideration.

The sensors do not suit everyone. For some the data is a good tool, for others it is overload. It is important to find what works for you so well done on making decisions that suit you.

The DAFNE guidelines I believe are not to correct with the next bolus after a hypo if you are high but 24hrs is crazy. I find these rules useful to understand what the risks are ie. that your liver may have been depleted of stores and need to replenish in the next 24hrs, but that is generally only for a bad hypo and usually you can see when it has happened. I almost always correct at the earliest opportunity because I know my own body and how it reacts far better than a nurse that I might see once in a blue moon and as @SB2015 suggests they were to keep people safe when they were only finger pricking a few times a day but with modern technology I think they are less applicable because we can track out levels much more easily, although I appreciate that you aren't using CGM at the moment..
I am wondering if she mentioned this because your levels dropped again.... by the sound of it because you bolused for an ice cream that you didn't eat.... in which case she was probably right to highlight it, but as long as you know that the cause was something else ie not eating the ice cream, then you were right to correct, you just made a different error, like we all do sometimes. If you are confident and comfortable doing corrections at the next meal if levels are high then, I would follow your gut instinct and ignore this "rule". If however you are repeatedly hypoing a second time after doing a correction following a hypo then you need to reappraise your strategy and take this advice into consideration.
No sorry for mis leading they didn't actually droped again even they included a small Ice cream ball and then forgot they actually stayed pretty much where they were. Until I went to bed so they must have been the raising. This small ice cream ball I was meant to eat was only 11 carbs.

The sensors do not suit everyone. For some the data is a good tool, for others it is overload. It is important to find what works for you so well done on making decisions that suit you.
The biggest cause of stress of them was them not lasting really.

The cause of the eallir hypo was a delayed response form a what turn out to be more fh longer walk around then intended after lunch.

The biggest cause of stress of them was them not lasting really.
Have you tried the dexcom instead. Some people react to the different glues in different ways.
I think that there are trial kits of these available for newbies to them, and these are no listed on the new NICE guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back