BBC News story

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I find scary about this is it appear's that it was "our" charity who issued the press release to cause the article?! So if DUK are perpetuating the 10% drain on the nhs attitude / propaganda, what chance do we have?! 😡

This was DUK's own story on the subject, some of their language has been given a little 'journalistic flair' as usual. DUK actually say that:

?The obesity-fuelled Type 2 diabetes epidemic is a clear example of where the new coalition government?s rhetoric of tackling health problems through prevention must be turned into action. Failure to act now means a bleak future of spiralling NHS costs and worsening public health.

and they also say
"Many, but not all, people develop Type 2 diabetes because they are overweight or obese

which was added to the sidebar in the BBC story.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News_Landing_Page/Number-diagnosed-with-diabetes-rises/

The five pieces of fruit and veg is a confusing message, as it is not easy (though they do exist) to find the guidelines as to what constitutes 1 portion.

Its also useful particularly with things like fruit to check on the packet what 1 portion is and weigh the fruit. I had mandarins once and it said that 2 fruits was 1 portion, but if you then read the weight for a portion I needed less than one of the mandarins.

The simplest definition of a portion I ever heard from from a dietician colleague who said 1 handful = 1 portion. Of course, she wasn't suggesting that you measure handfuls of mashed veg, but it does help with the concept of different sized portions for different sized children and adults.

With fruits like mandarins, the weight you have to consider is without inedible peel, which might be what accounted for your differences, Margie. Anyway, as the recommendation is to eat different types / colours of fruit and veg, it's better to eat 1 portion of mandarin and 1 of something else, than 2 mandarins, but any fruit / veg is better than nothing, once you've allowed for effects on blood sugars, extra fat in dressings / toppings etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back