BBC News story

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarfreerach

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
For goodness sake, how hard is it do a bit of research?! I dont normally complain about things like this but this particlar news story doesnt mention the difference between type 1's and 2's under 3/4 of the way down. (when most people have stopped reading by then!) For the first time ever i've complained to them! Not like me at all. But its particlarly damning. Heres the link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11605548

P.s my sugars are 6, so I KNOW im not over reacting 🙄

Stories like this make me angry. Being overweight is not the defacto cause of diabetes!

Stories like this make me angry. Being overweight is not the defacto cause of diabetes!

The statistics show that the number of obese people has risen by nearly twice the number of those diagnosed Type 2, so why not all of them? And why is the 'chicken and egg' situation never mentioned - that insulin resistance can lead to weight gain. Insulin resistance can't be solely caused by weight gain, since 20% (in these figures, 30,000 people!) would not have been overweight at diagnosis.

Again, I can understand that they want the general public to lead healthier lifestyles, but it's the direct attribution of blame that I always find to be completely unfair, leading to deep guilt and distress among people who are already feeling pretty bad about things. I don't think the scare tactics really work, so another way needs to be found. They don't know what causes diabetes and yet these articles are always written as though it can be entirely avoided by eating fewer pies 😡

Woah that is a really bad article 😱 The first half implies Diabetes in general is caused by being overweight.

So ...we should all eat our five pieces of fruit a day it says. If I eat more than 2 pieces of fruit a day, my sugars go whoosh! So how does that work then? Makes me so mad - such generalisation!

So ...we should all eat our five pieces of fruit a day it says. If I eat more than 2 pieces of fruit a day, my sugars go whoosh! So how does that work then? Makes me so mad - such generalisation!

Same go for my Carly - just half of an apple. hers goes WHOOSH!! How annoying!

There was a bit on the BBC news this morning. It made it sound as thoe we all lived in Burger King or MacDonalds and didn't do anything at all all day. I thought quite a few very bad/naughty words as little feller was listening.

The article was about type 2 diabetes so why mention type 1, then you would have got the population getting confused and thinking that type 1's got it through being overweight, so I think they were right in just mentioning type 2. Also I hate to say it but there are a hell of a lot of obese diabetics, (I am counted as one of them), that I see at the diabetic clinic. Yes you do see slimmer diabetics there as well. I agree about the 5 a day, I eat fruit and my sugars shoot up, but I suppose in that case we should eat more of the veg than the fruit. I don't think the article is that bad to be honest.

my issue was the fact they just said diabetes and not type 2 diabetes instead.

They've now changed it so it mentions Type 2 right at the start. Presumably the figure includes Type 1s, but the majority of the rise will be Type 2. Type 1 isn't a story because they don't have a handy 'cause' to blame it on.

I like how they've changed the picture from an obese person to a more normal weight person haha.

It's amazing that they can't add this info in first time around, but need complaints EVERY time to get them to sort it out.

Oh my Days! Do you think it was my complaint that got it changed? I look like im lying now!

Oh my Days! Do you think it was my complaint that got it changed? I look like im lying now!

Hehe! They obviously don't want to mess with you! 🙂 It's OK, I read it when you posted it this morning and katie is right, they've changed the picture too but obviously don't know how to represent a Type 2 diabetic who doesn't inject - haven't they heard about the attachments? :D

It?s confirmed ? you?re diabetic, so please join the queue,
The surgeon should be on his way,
It shouldn?t take long, there?s only a few?
What?s that? Do you have something to say?

Oh, didn?t they tell you? It?s really no good!
We must make you stand out in the street!
Some try to disguise it by wearing a hood,
But you can still pick them out by their feet!

Here is the leaflet, I?m sure it?ll explain,
And there?s a picture of what they attach.
It?s free for the ?standard?, but if you are vain,
You can pay extra for attachments that match!

A moment if you please, you must sign this release
To donate them back when you?re dead?
Now hurry along, you?re next on the list,
Would you like to have green ones or red?

Oh dear! Does it hurt? That?ll soon go away,
And you?ll learn how to sleep on your back.
You?ll be able to walk, but not quite the same way ?
I?m sure that you?ll pick up the knack!

PLeased they changed it though! Wow, i really didnt think they would take any notice

Yes I expect they saw your complaint and others may have complained too. Diabetes UK may have also contacted them as they did mention Diabetes UK in the article, DUK would want them to get it right.

It's a badly written artical....its got two pieces of information that it repeats
1) There's more overweight and obese people in britain than there used to be
2)Lots of people have diabetes....lots of them have type 2 diabetes

Frankly, none of this is "news"

Being overweight is not the only cause of type 2 diabetes...Diabetes is a complicated disease and as yet, nobody is aware of all the facts. People who are overweight or obese have a higher risk of devloping type 2 diabetes than somebody who isn't, but body mass isn't the only factor.

What I find scary about this is it appear's that it was "our" charity who issued the press release to cause the article?! So if DUK are perpetuating the 10% drain on the nhs attitude / propaganda, what chance do we have?! 😡

NO - the advice is five pieces of fruit or vegetables. No need for some or all of the five to be fruit.

The five pieces of fruit and veg is a confusing message, as it is not easy (though they do exist) to find the guidelines as to what constitutes 1 portion.

Its also useful particularly with things like fruit to check on the packet what 1 portion is and weigh the fruit. I had mandarins once and it said that 2 fruits was 1 portion, but if you then read the weight for a portion I needed less than one of the mandarins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back