Basal testing questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could always have a low carb supper like an omelette with salad at bedtime after skipping your tea, if you were hungry. That wouldn't need any bolus insulin, should prevent you from dropping low overnight and no worries about going to bed with active insulin in your system. Steak and salad would be a simllar low carb option. Cauliflower cheese with sausages or a gammon steak. Lots of possibilities for low carb meals that wouldn't need insulin.

You could always have a low carb supper like an omelette with salad at bedtime after skipping your tea, if you were hungry. That wouldn't need any bolus insulin, should prevent you from dropping low overnight and no worries about going to bed with active insulin in your system. Steak and salad would be a simllar low carb option. Cauliflower cheese with sausages or a gammon steak. Lots of possibilities for low carb meals that wouldn't need insulin.
Could I just have a couple of biscuits like I normally do instead of having to cook anything with it being bedtime?

Depends on your levels. I wouldn't want to have biscuits at bedtime if I was above 8 personally as that would likely take me up to mid teens all night, but I know you often have biscuits at that level and get away with it, so you would have to make that decision when you got to that point and knew what your levels were.

you could also cook something low carb earlier in the day and just reheat when you want to eat it. I wouldn't be able to go from my tea time to breakfast the following morning on a couple of biscuits xx

Would a sandwich be ok?

You've said you wouldn't be able to have a big meal because it was bedtime, I personally wouldn't class a sandwich as something small, also you don't like taking insulin if you are going to bed so most would require insulin with a sandwich, why not have the filling along with something low carb like coleslaw or something? xx

You've said you wouldn't be able to have a big meal because it was bedtime, I personally wouldn't class a sandwich as something small, also you don't like taking insulin if you are going to bed so most would require insulin with a sandwich, why not have the filling along with something low carb like coleslaw or something? xx
What sort of filling would you have? The types of fillings I usually have are sliced meat, cheese, tuna & mayo, salmon....

All those are low carb as long as you don't have the bread.
So if I skipped my tea (evening basal test) I could have any of these at bedtime?

2nd attempt of afternoon basal test - missing out lunch and bolus
10:24am breakfast 6.4 - 44g of carbs - 5.5 units humalog
14:05pm 9.5 lunchtime but missed out lunch and bolus
16:09pm 8.7

2nd attempt of afternoon basal test - missing out lunch and bolus
10:24am breakfast 6.4 - 44g of carbs - 5.5 units humalog
14:05pm 9.5 lunchtime but missed out lunch and bolus
16:09pm 8.7
18:10pm 5.4

What does anyone think of these results please?

So if I skipped my tea (evening basal test) I could have any of these at bedtime?
You can have anything you are comfortable taking appropriate insulin for at bedtime. If you aren’t comfortable taking insulin at bedtime then yes have something low carb like those examples.

18:10pm 5.4

What does anyone think of these results please?
Here’s the info on what to do with the results from MySugr. What do you think about how it went?

Attachments

• 3B2DF53F-F65C-40B6-8639-8A1932F22BE9.jpeg
    3B2DF53F-F65C-40B6-8639-8A1932F22BE9.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 182A632C-18CD-40EA-899C-7E8241A2ABC3.jpeg
    182A632C-18CD-40EA-899C-7E8241A2ABC3.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 12
I'm thinking too much basal insulin - but don't know if I'm right

I've done 2 basal tests both afternoon ones where I missed out lunch - one had to be stopped because I ended up hypo and the 2nd test I went from 9.5 to 5.4

That sounds to me as if you’ve got a tad too much basal for that time of day. You need to see what’s going on for the rest of the day, and try to get the 'best fit' for your basal. What I mean is, if you fell slightly during the afternoon, but at other times of day your basal didn’t seem quite enough, then you might decide to live with an afternoon fall, and make sure you have a snack or a slightly reduced bolus at lunch. But if your basal tests at other times of the day also show a fall, then it’s probably time to consider a basal reduction.

I agree with @Robin, but if I were dropping 4 points over the afternoon and risking a hypo, I might be tempted to reduce my basal by a unit or two while I checked the other times of day?

I agree with @Robin, but if I were dropping 4 points over the afternoon and risking a hypo, I might be tempted to reduce my basal by a unit or two while I checked the other times of day?
Thank you. Do I or don't I reduce it by a unit maybe - hmm - I'm on 16 units at the moment.

Re the other tests
Morning - missing out breakfast I would have to wait until the weekend because of work
Evening - missing out tea I could do that
Overnight - missing snacks during the evening - I could do that

Last edited:
Is it ok to do basal testing like I've done on different days which were last Wednesday 10th November then last Saturday 13th November or does it have to be done all in one block?

I've merged the three overlapping threads together as you requested @mum2westiesGill 🙂

Hopefully that will make it easier for you to follow the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back