Barking in Portsmouth in a week's time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well, at this time next week I will be pounding the streets of Portsmouth (probably just passing through the Naval Dockyard at this point!) in the Great South Run 😱 Unfortunately, my training has taken a real blow because of my illness over the past week which came after an injury the week before, so this one is going to be a tough one for me.

However, I'm determined to do my best, to show that diabetes isn't going to stop me doing what I enjoy, and to hopefully raise enough money for a whole pack of Hypo-detection dogs for the people at http://hypoalertdogs.co.uk/ :D

I've had a terrific response so far to my appeal for sponsorship, so thank you to everyone who has sponsored me so far! I'm still a little way short of my target though, so if anyone can spare anything - no matter how small - it will really help inspire me to get round the course! You can sponsor me at:

http://www.justgiving.com/sniff-for-life

I'm hoping for a day like today - sunny, cool, with a soft breeze! Not, like in a previous year, howling gales and driving rain along Southsea seafront over the last three miles! 😱

sniffposter.jpg

Come on everyone - dig deep and see how much you have down the back of the sofa - even 50p each will do - its a very worthy cause and Northey has trained hard so we should support him.:DBev

I hope that you achieve your target sponsorship. I think that it is amazing that you will be doing the run after being Ill and the injury. We will be thinking of you

well you'll be in my neck of the woods then :D good luck in the run :D

I hope that you achieve your target sponsorship. I think that it is amazing that you will be doing the run after being Ill and the injury. We will be thinking of you

Well, I tend to think of the time I ran 23 miles of the Stockholm Marathon with a broken leg or the 13 miles of the Hague half marathon with undiagnosed diabetes - if I can survive them, I can survive this! It might be getting dark before I finish though! 😱

Simon, I'll give you a wave if I see you! :D

*BUMP* - just in case anyone missed this - lets all try to support Northey.:DBev

Oops sorry Alan, just 'accidentally' bumped you again.

So proud of you for not backing out. Remember when it gets tough and hurts a bit, we are all there behind you - well not literally cos I am busy that day - but in that wind that blows you will hear us all ...Alan...Alan...Alan....

Hope you get a few more donations - you certainly deserve it.

Please sponsor Northener

All the best with the run

Last edited:
Oops sorry Alan, just 'accidentally' bumped you again.

So proud of you for not backing out. Remember when it gets tough and hurts a bit, we are all there behind you - well not literally cos I am busy that day - but in that wind that blows you will hear us all ...Alan...Alan...Alan....

Hope you get a few more donations - you certainly deserve it.

Well, I am afraid that, for only the third time in 30 years of running, I am having to pull out of a race. The first time was in 2004 when my femur snapped at 23 miles 😱 The second time was when I was in hospital getting diagnosed. Thankfully, this time is not as dramatic, but I have torn a muscle in my calf - probably from trying to do too much after my recent illness - and there is no way I could do the race without doing myself further harm.

I'm really sorry, but I will be looking for another event so that I can fulfill my part and as a big thank you to everyone who has supported me. I feel really awful at having to pull out, but it's a postponement, not a failure, so I hope you all understand. :(

Well, I am afraid that, for only the third time in 30 years of running, I am having to pull out of a race. The first time was in 2004 when my femur snapped at 23 miles 😱 The second time was when I was in hospital getting diagnosed. Thankfully, this time is not as dramatic, but I have torn a muscle in my calf - probably from trying to do too much after my recent illness - and there is no way I could do the race without doing myself further harm.

I'm really sorry, but I will be looking for another event so that I can fulfill my part and as a big thank you to everyone who has supported me. I feel really awful at having to pull out, but it's a postponement, not a failure, so I hope you all understand. :(

oh I hope you get better quickly. I doubt anyone who's sponsered you cares if you actually do the run or not! they won't be pounding your door asking for a refund!

hope your muscle repairs soon 🙂

Oh no! Not to worry, it's better to rest it rather than push on and make things worse in the long term. Sorry to hear it though, must be very frustrating.

I wish you a very fast recovery, Northerner!
No need to feel sorry, as everybody's first concern is your health.
🙂

O what a shame I am sure another suitable run will be coming up soon when you are feeling better soon

hope you recover soon :D i shall sell my seat at the race 😉

Sorry to hear that Northey I feel for you i know how much dedication and hard work you put into each and every run, good luck with the next venture x

Thanks everyone 🙂 I'm considering the Gosport half marathon on 21st November, but a lot will depend on whether I'll be able to get there on public transport on the day.

hi i try to donate but it keep saying is not a valid e mail address any help northerner?

hi i try to donate but it keep saying is not a valid e mail address any help northerner?

I'm not sure Daniela. I think you need to provide an email address so they can send you a receipt, or to log in if you have already got an account with justgiving - perhaps you are using a different email address to the one you are registered with?

Hey Northy so sorry to hear your news, you just get well and don't you go rushing to try and do the next run that comes up, give yourself time. No one on here is bothered about the race itself, just wanted to support you and encourage you. Now do as you are told and don't go worrying about anything.x

Thanks everyone 🙂 I'm considering the Gosport half marathon on 21st November, but a lot will depend on whether I'll be able to get there on public transport on the day.

If you fancy a trip to sunny Norfolk the Norwich Half is the following weekend....😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back