• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.
  • Take a look at our new Type 2 Diabetes Remission section on the Diabetes UK website: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/type-2-remission

Bariatric Surgery Anyone?

NeoUser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Has anyone recently had bariatric surgery which has helped with type 2 remission? Seriously considering asking for it but before I do, I want to understand how people went about it? Did you suggest it, or did the healthcare team? How long did you wait for the surgery? How's your diabetes management now? I know it's not a quick fix and not going to change my mindset/relationship with food as such but good to understand others' experiences...

Hi @NeoUser

While I haven't personally undergone bariatric surgery, I can share that there are numerous individuals who have found success in managing type 2 diabetes through such procedures. It's a significant decision, and it's great that you're seeking information to make an informed choice.

People often approach bariatric surgery discussions in different ways. Some initiate the conversation with their healthcare team, expressing their interest and discussing the potential benefits. Others may find that their healthcare professionals recommend it as part of a treatment plan.

Regarding diabetes management post-surgery, many people with type 2 report positive outcomes. However, as you pointed out, it's not a quick fix, and lifestyle changes remain crucial. It can be a journey with its own challenges, and patience is key.

If you're considering bariatric surgery, reach out to your healthcare provider for personalised advice. They can provide insights based on your specific health situation and guide you through the process. We do have a page about bariatric surgery and type 2 on our website, which you can find here: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...es/treating-your-diabetes/weight-loss-surgery

Remember, you're not alone on this journey. Many have walked a similar path, and someone with first-hand experience will likely share their insights soon. In the meantime, take your time to gather information, and feel free to ask any questions you may have. Best of luck with your decision!

Back