Baking bread

Alison1

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi there

Does anyone have a foolproof recipe for baking a low GI bread at home please?

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I should be working on this, but not got around to it. I think that wheat gluten is important so you can use yeast and make it like 'proper' bread.
I use milled seeds from Lidl, psyllium, some rye flour to disguise the purple colour of the psyllium, almond and coconut flour, a small amount of bread flour - I did not have the wheat gluten and was making nice, but very dense bread before this. I must get around to doing some experiments now that it will be easy to prove the bread - the kitchen window faces South and it gets rater warm in there.
I was thinking of using muffin tins to make portion control easier - and I like the crusts best so that maximised the amount of crust.

Alison1

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Thanks Drummer, I like the sound of muffin sized bread, will try it. I’d read that you could use alternative flour, rye, almond etc but never bought any, don’t suppose i can get any either at the moment. Good luck with your experiments, let me know if it works.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I used Amazon to get packs of various flours, I think the brand I went for was 'Bulk Powders' as I could get all that I wanted there the first time, though I have used other brands since then as they were suggested, all bought through Amazon though.

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have got a fool proof baked bread recipe using yeast that is keto friendly and tastes like proper bread!!

I was so excited about this recipe that I bought a whole load of ingredients I hadn't used before - mainly vital wheat gluten, inulin, xanthan gum, wheat bran and oat fibre.

I am so glad I did because this recipe for me is a game changer.

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 20.35.04.png
The recipe is supposed to turn out very raised and light but they had a stand mixer and I did it by hand so mine turned out more dense but still amazingly delicious and it does not spike my blood sugars at all. Three slices with lettuce and a boiled egg and butter moved my levels from 5.4 to 6.0

My variations:
I didn't put buttermilk in it - just water.
I kneaded by hand instead of using a stand mixer.
I mixed the yeast and inulin into the water before adding it to the dough 'powders.'

Here's the link to the original recipe.

Maz2

There are quite a few recipes on dietdoctor.com using almond flour, coconut flour, seeds etc. In the recipes section on here there is a Flaxseed Bread but up by Mark Parrott. I have made it and it is very nice.

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 14.11.44.pngScreenshot 2020-06-15 at 16.52.59.png
This is my third go at the recipe I listed earlier.
This time I mixed the liquid ingredients together and kept them at 40c using warm water and I only put 5g of the inulin with the liquid ingredients.
I also used 30g of olive oil which I added to the liquid instead of adding butter half way through.

I am going to try again - this time proving the dough for much much longer to see if that will give me a better risen loaf.

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Looks like it’s got a decent crumb. And it looks like it’d be delicious!

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It makes amazing toast and... fried bread.
Oh remember I said about keto cheesecake and you said you wanted a cooked version?

I found this recipe on Youtube