Bad News Day. Where can I get an independent Blood Sugar test done

I don’t see why I’m not entitled to see the result.
There's surely no reason. I've never managed to get numbers over the phone from a receptionist. I wonder if there's some policy about that (they'll just indicate whether the number has been marked in any way by a GP). But if I go in and ask them to print out the results they've always been happy to do that. And a printout is probably better, overall: less opportunity for errors.

If I’m sitting at 51.9 then I’ll drop another stone or two. If I’m sitting at 36 then I’m probably happy with my current weight. I don’t see why I’m not entitled to see the result. Why the secrecy.
I doubt it's secrecy, its more likely to be laziness.
Also not everyone wants detail so doctors learn to be stingy with detail.
My fiance had terminal cancer, but all he wanted to be told was he'd be ok, so no one discussed that detail with him.

Have you phoned and specifically asked them for a printout of your results?

If I’m sitting at 51.9 then I’ll drop another stone or two. If I’m sitting at 36 then I’m probably happy with my current weight. I don’t see why I’m not entitled to see the result. Why the secrecy.
You are entitled to them. It is a matter of who is authorised to give them. The release of the result usually has to wait until it is authorised by the GP. They are confidential and there is no way they can verify who you are when you phone and it may be something more sensitive and personal that the reception staff could release to a family member inadvertently. The s..t could hit the fan if that happened.

+1 for asking for a print out to get the actual numbers (and usually reference ranges).

Sorry you are so frustrated @Craig78 - but hopefully getting the printouts ‘for your records’ should be fairly pain free.

Though my GP surgery did used to charge 20p per sheet!

And another for asking for a printout or finding your way into the NHS app. Our surgery uses the Patient Access which gives all the information you need.

I expect the receptionists are told not to give out numbers because they are not qualified to answer any follow up questions that may be put. It is the same at our surgery which is generally very open with information when they can be certain who is asking for it.

Diagnosed type 2, 3 months ago. Lost 35lbs since then. Been counting down til today. Called for my blood test results today just to be told satisfactory. No figures, no analysis. To say I’m enraged is understatement of the year. Where in Scotland can I go to get blood sugar test done where I’ll be able to see the results. I won’t be returning to g.p unless absolutely necessary.
Went to gp’s with I.D to request a subject access request form. They then backed down and gave me my HbA1c result. Was 54 when diagnosed in July. Now down to 42. Not ideal as still pre diabetic but I’ll try and up my efforts and lose another 14lbs to stay in the safe zone.

That is still an excellent result so don't be too hard on yourself. Many congratulations and best of luck with the remaining weight loss and perhaps a result in the normal range next time although at 42 you are splitting hairs!

Went to gp’s with I.D to request a subject access request form. They then backed down and gave me my HbA1c result. Was 54 when diagnosed in July. Now down to 42. Not ideal as still pre diabetic but I’ll try and up my efforts and lose another 14lbs to stay in the safe zone.
Well done for pushing the issue. Hard to see why they didn't want to share the great news with you in the first place. You're clearly on the right track so keep doing what you're doing and hopefully you'll find that your next HbA1c will be into normal range (if your surgery can be bothered to tell you).

Last edited:
Back