Bad News Day. Where can I get an independent Blood Sugar test done

Craig78

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed type 2, 3 months ago. Lost 35lbs since then. Been counting down til today. Called for my blood test results today just to be told satisfactory. No figures, no analysis. To say I’m enraged is understatement of the year. Where in Scotland can I go to get blood sugar test done where I’ll be able to see the results. I won’t be returning to g.p unless absolutely necessary.

You have a right to know the actual numbers, not just someone's interpretation of them. Get back on to your GP practice and demand the numbers if necessary. They are your tests and your results. If they can't tell you over the phone, ask for a print out and say that you will go with proof of ID to collect.

Diagnosed type 2, 3 months ago. Lost 35lbs since then. Been counting down til today. Called for my blood test results today just to be told satisfactory. No figures, no analysis. To say I’m enraged is understatement of the year. Where in Scotland can I go to get blood sugar test done where I’ll be able to see the results. I won’t be returning to g.p unless absolutely necessary.
Maybe ask for a print out at the desk in person - if denied ask to speak to a doctor.
Sometimes receptionists feel empowered to deny access whilst others have been told that they are not to give out results as they are not qualified. I tell them that I am perfectly able to analyse my results - just to play them at their own game.

Apart from @rebrascora ’s excellent advice, you might also be able to see your results on the NHS app.

Don’t be too enraged. What’s happened to you is pretty normal. It’s so common to be told things like Fine, OK, In Range, Dr is happy with them, or whatever instead of the actual numbers. Every time I phone for my results, I have to push to be given the actual figures for each result. Getting the NHS app means I can usually bypass this irritation.

Apart from @rebrascora ’s excellent advice, you might also be able to see your results on the NHS app.
I suggested this to someone previously and learnt it is not available in Scotland which seems a huge shame as I used it every time I get a blood test. It also saves on calls to the GP receptionist so they can get on with other things like booking appointments.

Last edited:
You have a right to know the actual numbers, not just someone's interpretation of them. Get back on to your GP practice and demand the numbers if necessary. They are your tests and your results. If they can't tell you over the phone, ask for a print out and say that you will go with proof of ID to collect.
This ^
I ask for a printout of blood results, MRI, the lot.
It can be super informative. I basically got shrugs off doctors regarding a pain under my right ribs - eventually put it to my doc that I may have a problem with my liver. The resulting MRI results included the line that the detected lesion was present in a 2021 CT scan. The 'lesion' was focal fatty liver btw.
I shall continue requesting my full results, since doctors never ever tell you full details even if you are actively asking questions.

Oops, forgot to say - well done on the weight loss :star:
'satisfactory' blood results sounds like good news, but I would definitely get a printout for your own records.
Onwards and downwards!

If you can use the Patient Access website (you have sign up and give your NHS number, etc ) it will usually show you any test results. Not sure if you have this in Scotland? I think there are other NHS apps too that may do this.

@Craig78
firstly well done on the weight loss

I've recently downloaded & now I've got access to my results on the NHS app
Plus, on another app that my surgery uses

I was suprised how much information is viewable in there

I've had a few blood tests done over the last few weeks, and was surprised to see one day last week when bloods were taken in the morning, the full blood results were in there later the same day,
not that I really understood them

But, I get your frustration at being told over the phone "it's OK everything is normal"

Can you sign up to the My Diabetes My Way website? Not sure how it works but heard it’s the Scotland way of showing you your results

I’ve tried all day to register on their my diabetes my way website but it refuses to recognise my name and date of birth. My only option seems to be to put in a subject access request form for my test results if NHS Scotland is determined I’m not to have access to them. I’m going to have to assume my results are 51.9 and will push ahead with weight loss plans. Hopefully get down to 11 stone to be on the safe side. I’m 5ft 10 and still a very unhealthy 12st 4lbs.
Alternative is to head to Manchester this weekend and arrange blood test there in Boots. You guys have it so easy in England. Still in the dark ages up here.

@Craig78 what was the result at diagnosis? I'm in England and have had to go to reception and ask a few times. I think I need to download the app. Satisfactory should be positive but they should give you the figure as you want to know your efforts and any medication are working. That weight loss has got to have been good for your health. I was losing 2lb a week but last fortnight I've been struck down by the lurgy and plateaued. I had first result end of June confirmatory test end of July, next one start of September a fortnight after medication started. Asked if I wanted a test end of September so said yes although only 3 weeks after previous one. Not clear about the result although figure reception gave me was lower than the previous one but there was another comment I was unclear about.

Good luck. I have a Scottish birth certificate so with you in spirit!

Alternative is to head to Manchester this weekend and arrange blood test there in Boots. You guys have it so easy in England. Still in the dark ages up here.
Why do you need another blood test? Normally it would be done once a year, you know the results were fine, so it doesn’t actually change anything. I get that it’s nice to know the number but why are you so hung up on needing to know it? I never ask for it in my appointments.

And can boots even do a hba1c test?

Why do you need another blood test? Normally it would be done once a year, you know the results were fine, so it doesn’t actually change anything. I get that it’s nice to know the number but why are you so hung up on needing to know it? I never ask for it in my appointments.
I think it helps a lot with motivation to know the actual results and I think the larger branch of Boots mentioned in Manchester may have a finger prick HbA1c machine.

You can get the finger prick hba1c test at the bigger boots - can just book online, but not sure of availability in Scotland.

Just a heads up though, I recently had one and had a 4pt discrepancy between that and my official NHS blood test. Given that I'm just in the low pre-diabetes range, that made a big difference. Boots told me I was back into normal range so i was celebrating until i got the nhs results telling me I'm still firmly at 45!

As others have said, i'd nag your GP incessantly as I'm sure you have the right to see your actual results.

Good luck. And keep going 🙂

Round here the only Boots Pharamcies are in big stores, all the small ones have closed down.

I’ve tried all day to register on their my diabetes my way website but it refuses to recognise my name and date of birth. My only option seems to be to put in a subject access request form for my test results if NHS Scotland is determined I’m not to have access to them. I’m going to have to assume my results are 51.9 and will push ahead with weight loss plans. Hopefully get down to 11 stone to be on the safe side. I’m 5ft 10 and still a very unhealthy 12st 4lbs.
In wales here and also can't get results online at my surgery.
I just phone up and ask for a printout of my results, or just ask the doctor directly if i have an appointment.
If requested by email or phone call I just get notified to pick up an envelope at reception containing my results

If I’m sitting at 51.9 then I’ll drop another stone or two. If I’m sitting at 36 then I’m probably happy with my current weight. I don’t see why I’m not entitled to see the result. Why the secrecy.

Back