Attendance Allowance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually realise been paid it, before receiving letter...

Important Update:

It looks like I got the award:D

As I have not yet heard anything in writing, this is totally unofficial, but the money appeared in my bank account this morning. I am not absolutely certain what the actual payment cycles is, but, after allowing for the change in benefit rate on April 10th, The amount deposited in my bank account, matches exactly what I would expect if it was backdated from 30th of March to the 6th of May.

Apart from that, a successful result for my attendance allowance claim is the only possible source of this money.

At an extra £68.10 a week, it is definitely worthwhile getting and, as a bonus, I am now eligible for the £150 disability payment due in July. Echoing Martin Lewis, I strongly urge any other pensioners who are feeling a bit stretched by the cost of living crisis to make a claim.

Do not be put off by the claim form, which is quite long and a bit intimidating, and I definitely advise getting professional help to fill it in. Also, do not be put off by personal nature of the questions. As many of us on these boards know only too well, getting old brings a plethora of minor inconveniences along with an ever lengthening list of daily struggles. So, while most of us would rather not dwell on the more undignified aspects of old age, remember, this is the one occasion when it is best to be brutally honest with both yourself and the 'professional' helping with your claim.

In summary, for a successful claim, I feel the main points to note are:
  • It seems to be point based: So the more boxes you tick the better your chances
  • Although they reserve the right to call you for a medical review, you do not actually need a formal diagnosis to make a claim based on some obscure medical condition.
  • Provide as much detail as possible: I first phoned to establish proof of start date for the claim, and then downloaded a PDF of the claim form. Because I was typing my responses, I was able to go into greater detail than would have been possible if I had filled it in by hand.
  • Provide as much documentary support as possible: referral letters; repeat prescriptions; dates for visits to the A&E, and whatever else you can think of. Basically, try and overwhelm them with paper. (With bureaucrats, this generally works every time. On occasion, I have even used this tactic to clear up a few teensy weensy misunderstandings with the Gendarmerie:D)
  • Take your time filling it in: Because I used the downloaded PDF version of the form, I was able to spend a week repeatedly editing my responses, I was then able to pass it to my support workers for review and comment before I finally sent it off.
  • Be honest when filling in the form: Getting old comes with so many problems that, if you feel the need to dishonestly embellish your daily struggles, then you are probably in denial about getting old.
  • EDIT: Also remember: Although it is called Attendance Allowance, you don't actually need to have a carer, and the money can be spent on whatever you like. In effect, because of your infirmities, it's a top-up to the general operating budget.

On other news: I finally got a referral for my cataracts. It is next month at the eye-clinic in Clydebank. It is a bit of a bitch that the clinic is about 60 miles away, but the next available appointment here in Edinburgh is two or thee years down the road. Believe me, my eyesight is deteriorating so quickly that, without treatment, by that time I would be well past the threshold for being declared legally blind.

Now if I could just get a referral for the Glaucoma, it is really starting to noticeably impair the vision of my left eye.

Irvine

PS
Do not forget that pensioners may also be eligible for pension credit.

Edit 2: Changed "30th of April" to "30th of March"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back