Attempting to call Citizens Advice

Would my new job be unsuitable for me? I am worried now as I have only started this four weeks ago.
Once you get things settled then the job should be fine, but it takes time to get things settled.

You mention that you have your Libre warning set at 4. I think most have their warning set above that. Mine used to be on 5 so it gave me a chance to head off a hypo, rather than wait until it happens. This way you can treat it with less carbs, and so avoid the spike afterwards.

I found that I set myself levels at which I used 1 JB, then a bit lower for 2 JBs and then three JBs once I was truly hypo. The hardest bit I find is waiting for levels to come back up. A full 15 minutes is best to wait before checking again and if still hypo (on a finger prick - to account for the time lag) then I would retreat.

Keep at it. It will get easier and more settled.

Hello Proud to be erratic, I had yet another near hypo experience today while at work, the fourth time this week and I could not understand why, especially, as my BG was 13.1, just as I left for work this morning. Then later during my lunch break, it had shot up again. What am I doing wrong? I would be so grateful for any answers. The other problem I had, my Libre alarm wasn't working to warn me, despite it being set on, at 4. I was very upset and frustrated about it. I have emailed my care nurse to tell her what happened and how I feel about it. Can I blame the hot weather and the walking around?
Paul, could you show us a screen shot from your Libre please? Also details of meals or snacks you've had today with carb content (best guess) as well as what it was.

But fundamentally with your alarm set at 4, ie a rock bottom Alarm, rather than 5.6 as a clear Alert to give you time to do something about a falling BG - you make hypos inevitable rather than avoidable. I know you won't be surprised to read this from me; it's so obvious. Smoke detectors are designed to warn you to get out of a building while you can and BG alerts can be used to keep you safe. People say they don't like constant alerts too soon - I say then don't complain if you go hypo.

You certainly can attribute a falling BG to the current warm weather along with the constant walking around. Those 2 circumstances reinforce my view that you need settings that Alert you, rather than Alarms that tell you after you've gone hypo.

How did you know you had a near hypo if your alarm didn't work? Why your alarm didn't work is not something I can offer help with. But there has been a lot of discussion on this forum recently about Libre alarm failures. Your DSN might suggest you change to Dexcom One+, which is in the same cost bracket as Libre 2 and thus can be prescribed through your GP. Be aware that Dex One+ works in a similar way to Libre 2, but sensors only last 10 days. It's name might sound similar to the former Dexcom One, but is a very different system and I would suggest that original Dexcom One is NOT for you - if it still exists.
Would my new job be unsuitable for me? I am worried now as I have only started this four weeks ago.
No, if you follow this logic there is no job that will be suitable for your circumstances. Because I know that you are slim, healthy, active in your karate you are in my opinion well placed to get to grips with your unusual D and successfully hold down your present job. After your first 3 hypos what changes have you made before today? Less insulin? Or a bigger breakfast, perhaps with more protein to metabolise less quickly and carry you through the morning .

Basically some trial and learning is needed to help you adjust your routines to keep you steady and safe through eaach working day. There is no question these early days are tricky and there is still a lot for you to learn about how your body is behaving. At least you currently are only juggling the management of Toujeo with food and activity and I think the addtion of a fast acting bolus insulin would add to your juggling right now; somethhing to be grateful for at this stage.

One thing you could consider is installing a free app such as Gluroo onto your phone that will display your BG, as recorded by Libre, onto the front of your phone, even when your phone is in sleep mode; then with your phone in an easy reach pocket you can monitor your BG without needing the phone to be open. Gluroo will also relay to a smart watch; I don't know which smart watches but I feel sure members here can offer guidance. Then a glance at your wrist can give you reassurance and probably alerts from your watch even if Libre isn't playing properly with your phone! [I have Dexcom G7 with my android phone and my smart watch died about 3 weeks ago; so my tech is a bit different and I can't help with specific details for you].

Is your phone android or iPhone?

Paul, could you show us a screen shot from your Libre please? Also details of meals or snacks you've had today with carb content (best guess) as well as what it was.

But fundamentally with your alarm set at 4, ie a rock bottom Alarm, rather than 5.6 as a clear Alert to give you time to do something about a falling BG - you make hypos inevitable rather than avoidable. I know you won't be surprised to read this from me; it's so obvious. Smoke detectors are designed to warn you to get out of a building while you can and BG alerts can be used to keep you safe. People say they don't like constant alerts too soon - I say then don't complain if you go hypo.

You certainly can attribute a falling BG to the current warm weather along with the constant walking around. Those 2 circumstances reinforce my view that you need settings that Alert you, rather than Alarms that tell you after you've gone hypo.

How did you know you had a near hypo if your alarm didn't work? Why your alarm didn't work is not something I can offer help with. But there has been a lot of discussion on this forum recently about Libre alarm failures. Your DSN might suggest you change to Dexcom One+, which is in the same cost bracket as Libre 2 and thus can be prescribed through your GP. Be aware that Dex One+ works in a similar way to Libre 2, but sensors only last 10 days. It's name might sound similar to the former Dexcom One, but is a very different system and I would suggest that original Dexcom One is NOT for you - if it still exists.

No, if you follow this logic there is no job that will be suitable for your circumstances. Because I know that you are slim, healthy, active in your karate you are in my opinion well placed to get to grips with your unusual D and successfully hold down your present job. After your first 3 hypos what changes have you made before today? Less insulin? Or a bigger breakfast, perhaps with more protein to metabolise less quickly and carry you through the morning .

Basically some trial and learning is needed to help you adjust your routines to keep you steady and safe through eaach working day. There is no question these early days are tricky and there is still a lot for you to learn about how your body is behaving. At least you currently are only juggling the management of Toujeo with food and activity and I think the addtion of a fast acting bolus insulin would add to your juggling right now; somethhing to be grateful for at this stage.

One thing you could consider is installing a free app such as Gluroo onto your phone that will display your BG, as recorded by Libre, onto the front of your phone, even when your phone is in sleep mode; then with your phone in an easy reach pocket you can monitor your BG without needing the phone to be open. Gluroo will also relay to a smart watch; I don't know which smart watches but I feel sure members here can offer guidance. Then a glance at your wrist can give you reassurance and probably alerts from your watch even if Libre isn't playing properly with your phone! [I have Dexcom G7 with my android phone and my smart watch died about 3 weeks ago; so my tech is a bit different and I can't help with specific details for you].

Hi @Proud to be erratic, please find the screenshot of the Freestyle Libre 2 app. It shows the warning message about the sound issue. I have checked the app and the main setting on his Android phone and it's all already switched on and in working order, @Busdriver60 can hear the test alarms (high/low/loss of signal), but the app still has the same warning message. So frustrating... He couldn't hear the Libre alarm at work when he had hypos. When he was experiencing dizziness while working this morning, he recognised it and picked up his phone to check his app, which was showing low BG. The alarm was showing but no sounds at all. I have already reported the issue to his diabetes nurse.

Attachments

• Freestyle Libre 2 sound issue.jpg
    Freestyle Libre 2 sound issue.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 9
If hot weather gives you hypos then I’d adjust insulin when hot weather is forecast
He could, but he has not yet been trained in adjusting his insulin (his diabetes nurse currently does this for him).

What do you have your CGM low alarm set at?

If I am going to be doing manual work in the heat I lower my basal that morning but my basal, L:evemir, allows that sort of flexibility. A long acting basal like Tresiba or Toujeo wouldn't work like that.
Having said that, I got it wrong today and was hypo most of the afternoon according to Libre. 🙄 I was very busy wandering back and forth across my field digging ragwort and and cutting the roadside branches, brambles and briars back. I just kept working and eating a JB every now and then. I hate over treating hypos so usually just have 1 or 2 jelly babies at most but I ended up under treating today and didn't get above my low alarm, so it didn't go off again and every now and then I would realise that it wasn't the sun and exertion making me feel sweaty and wobbly.

It may be that the nature of your new manual job at the garden centre means you need less basal because you are burning more glucose than you were before you started the job and the cumulative effect of several days activity particularly in hot weather will gradually have an impact on your basal needs.
His low BG is now set at 5, as advised by his diabetes dietician.

Hi BD,
Hope you are well and enjoying life.When you say you have had 3 hypos can I just clarify that you mean you have gone below 3.9 and into the red.
Personally I am lucky enough not to go into the Red very often but even on the odd occasion I do then I am pretty comfortable with it and simply take my dextrose and proceed from there.
As Barbara says not sure where you set your alarm but having it set higher can alert you at an earlier stage before you reach the hypo level.
So far I have never had a clinical hypo and that is the biggest thing I want to avoid but equally I do not want to have any anxiety about it happening.
Yes, he did go in red three times this week. I tried to remind him that but he was already busy working (not having his break just yet).

Hello Paul @Busdriver60,
How are you getting on with managing your daily toujeo? Has the incidence of hypos while at work stopped?

I found (once I had CGM) that I could use seems or jelly babies as a fast hypo response food once I was actually hypo or very, very close to that and use biscuits as a more controlled response. This helped me stop the swing from one extreme to the other.

I invariably also always have the mini packets from Nairns: various flavours of oat biscuits. Nairns seem to have a small selection of flavours throughout the year, including stem ginger, cheese and berry fruits. Each biscuit is nominally c.6 gms of carbs (the berry flavours are perhaps slightly higher at 7.5). Then sometimes (eg before Xmas) Nairns have other flavours, such as chia and coconut, dark chocolate chips and orange choc chips; plus others. All at c.6gms per biscuit. Always a bit better priced in Lidl and Aldi. I respond to lows with these Nairns small biscuits rather than sweets; hypos need really rapid response but with the slightly slower biscuits you can retain a more measured "control". [Note: control is a relative term since I personally don't believe any of us can truly control how our bodies deal with our diabetes. Managing it is a more realistic aspiration, I think].

Some of the Naked bars also work well for me as response treatments; convenient in a pocket. But often my response only needs to be 1/2 a Naked bar and that is a little extra bit of faff. I don't routinely choose biscuits with chocolate coating, partly because the chocolate slows their metabolism but mainly because once warm the melted chocolate again adds to faff! Tesco sell interesting cookies at c.12 gms of carbs, but I've drifted away from those - 2x Nairns oat biscuits gives me 13 gms, if a bigger hit is needed.

Finally, my D Consultant recommended having high protein response treatments after a hypo or very close hypo - rather than simple carbs. The extra protein provides slower release of consequent glucose into one's blood after digestion and should very much help with countering the swing from too low to too high. There are various options, typically from Nature Valley, Graze, Eat Natural (plenty of others). They can be a bit more expensive than routine cereal bars and some have enough chocolate to make them messy to unwrap when warm. My frequent choice are the Nature Valley Protein 40 gm weight bars, each has only 10 gms of carbs and I (surprisingly) find these can be great value from Waitrose when they periodically have offers. Since our local Waitrose is an easy walk from home I tend to check out their offers whenever I'm in there - rather than regularly monitoring such promotions on-line. But if you or Angela are into home cooking there are various recipes for suitable high protein snacks (often based on flapjack recipes) and of course would be more cost effective. If buying protein bars I recommend reading the nutrition details carefully; some are high protein but are also highish in carbs.

Do let us know how you are doing when you have a moment.
Thank you @Proud to be erratic. Much appreciated!! Sorry for being so slow in response. Only found out my former work colleague had passed away (at the young age of 51), after a long illness. I will be in touch via email shortly.

Totally agree with you @Proud to be erratic. I think that it is a good idea that he try to eat more protein, especially at breakfast time. Paul had just approached me (from bed) to tell me that he heard a low BG alarm (at 5) that woke him up. About time - but no sound message is still there.

He could, but he has not yet been trained in adjusting his insulin (his diabetes nurse currently does this for him).
It’s not difficult to learn, I’ve never been trained either I just read forums

Yes, he did go in red three times this week. I tried to remind him that but he was already busy working (not having his break just yet).
Three times in a week isn’t that much so whilst it’s nice of it can be reduced it’s not something to stress about. The target is under 4% hypo so less than one hour per day. Setting the low alarm higher and learning to adjust insulin will help.

Thanks @GracefulAng; that screenshot is very revealing, in that clearly there is a fault somewhere within either the Libre sensor or the Libre app. I would recommend that Paul seeks a replacement from Abbott and I would expect him to get that replacement.

Weirdly the patient has no mechanism for complaining to the NHS about a failed or failing sensors but must take that complaint direct to the manufacturer Abbott (or Dexcom if their sensors fail). So don't be too surprised if Paul's DSN is not overly helpful; she doesn't have a clear process for dealing with technical problems. If Paul is very lucky she might arrange a single replacement or suggest he changes to a different CGM; but I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for a rapid solution from his DSN.

I had no CGM for my first 12 months. Then I used Libre for almost 12 months from Feb '21 to Jan '22. I had over 50% failures and initially thought that Libre's quality control was rubbish. However during those 12 months I did get replacements from Abbott for every single failure; I stuck with this thoroughly unsatisfactory situation because I did still appreciate that a poorly behaving Libre was better than no CGM; and even though the displayed nos were frequently useless, the trend arrows were very reliable. If it indicated I was going downwards I was - and I could depend on that info; I had to finger prick a lot to know where I'd got to! But most of all at that time there was no NHS alternative. By rhe end of the 12 months I concluded that my body simply was incompatible with Libre 2, rather than poor quality control by the manufacturer. Many others were getting great results from their Libre 2.

Once the NICE Guidance Note changed and made other CGMs possible for GPs to prescribe, I took advantage of that. Those included, then, the original Dexcom One which was different to Libre in both how the sensor worked and what the app offered. But the net outcome was greater reliability - or rather my body seemed to cope with Dexcom One better. I'm now using Dexcom G7, which is a fair bit more expensive - thanks to my Consultant helping me and getting the Hospital to fund my prescription; G7 is (I think) never funded by GPs. G7 is very reliable for me and I am extremely grateful to have it.

Even though Paul experienced dizziness, while that is far from pleasant it does confirm that Paul does have good hypo awareness. Before CGMs became as available as they are today, those Ds who were insulin dependent had no alternative other than to feel the hypo symptoms, finger prick to confirm they were too low and then treat [the rule of 15: eat 15 gms of fast response foods such as dextrose, lucozade or sweets like jelly babies; then wait 15 mins and finger prick again to get actual confirmation that recovery was happening; if not recovering wait another 15 mins then fp a 3rd time .... and so on]. So CGMs have really vastly improved our lifestyle and with sensible use of the alarms (when they work properly!) hypos can frequently be avoided.

Hence my thoughts about how can the present immediate unreliability of Libre 2 be mitigated against ... perhaps adding the extra app such as Gluroo (and there are others) to supplement existing tech could help. But also to try different tech, such as the recently launched Dexcom One+.

I realise this is currently Paul's default position, but this is not a realistic long term solution. The DSNs are very stretched - too few of them and too many Ds needing help. At some point Paul will have to take a greater ownership of his own treatment. This means he has to recognise that if he's going hypo he either has too much insulin on board for a working day in summer or he needs to consume more food and let that food keep his BG topped up. The 3rd option would be less exercise and/or activity; but I think that is not an option - Paul needs to work: not just for the financial return, but for his own self-respect and satisfaction. [Plus, I suspect, for your peace of mind @GracefulAng. A working Paul is a happier Paul!]

This means Paul must do what almost every person who is insulin dependent has to do and get on with managing his D for himself. He does now know for certain that going hypo is not a pleasant experience - BUT it doesn't mean instant death! So some experimentation (trial and learning) has to be done. On hot work days he needs less insulin. I would try a 10% reduction for a few days and if that helps but not enough I'd try a 2nd 10% reduction. But Paul has to make his own decisions. Also experiment with different types of food. It may be that Paul definitely needs a certain amount of Toujeo to keep himself away from the high teens or low 20s (which will make anyone feel rubbish and "off"); so if he goes low during the working day because of that necessary daily Toujeo, he must snack more. If those snacks are high in fat or protein and give him better protection through the day - fine. He needs to find (trial and learning again) what works for him. I should add always stay well hydrated; drink lots of water or tea - this is great for one's metabolic behaviour.

I am extremely aware that Paul is in an unusual position: clearly got Diabetes but at present managing that by a combination of a single basal insulin of Toujeo and an eating regime more as if he is T2; controlled carb intake - because he has no faster acting bolus insulin to offset carbs eaten. I fully understand that Paul, despite his needle concerns, asked his DSN to move him onto Multiple Daily Injections (MDI). A brave request. I'm also aware that his DSN said not yet - and that medical decision does make sense to me (with no medical qualifications). I believe Paul can make his present treatment plan work - but HE has to get more into understanding what foods are best for him in relation to the unusual basal insulin only and learning about the effect on his D from the activity / weather regime that his work brings.

My non- medical opinion is that on a future date his T3c is likely to worsen and he will eventually be put onto MDI. So the more he can prepare for this scenario by learning and understanding now the easier that future transition will be. That would include learning to carb count; not essential today, but so very helpful in understanding what each meal is bringing to his daily parties!

Anyway, these are my thoughts; I could have it all wrong. I realise I'm talking about Paul and he will read this lengthy ramble. I also realise that if he's working tomorrow he might not get time to go through this thoroughly for a while. I'm fully retired and I still have days when there is too much to do in a single day.

If Paul could post a Libre graph screenshot for yesterday (Wednesday) we might have a fair chance of adding thoughts on how else he might adjust what he did yesterday. The trial and learning is not instant, getting reasonable BG management takes a lot of effort and the returns can be tardy; so don't be disheartened by how slow it all can seem to be! Good luck.

@GracefulAng Do you have a smartphone that you could download the LibreLink App to? Sometimes the loss or lack of alarms can be a problem with the phone rather than the sensor, so it might be worth Paul trying your phone. Some phones have weaker Bluetooth connectivity than others and if the Bluetooth connection drops out then there will be no alarms. Sometimes just having the phone on the same side of the body as the sensor helps to ensure a better signal.
Personally I find the reader far more reliable than the phone app and nice and small so it sits in a pocket more comfortably but they are not easy to acquire. I bought my original reader when I was self funding the original Libre which didn't have alarms and then it was upgraded from there.

I think it is important to have a realistic understanding and expectation of diabetes management with insulin (it is not easy) and I can remember my first few hypos and posting on here about having 2 in a fortnight which I was really worried about. I very naively had it in my head that I might have one or two hypos a year, but the reality is that they happen much more frequently and even with the help of Libre I have had 5 in the last 7 days and this is pretty typical for me. Sometimes I can have 2 or 3 in a day. Mostly they are very minor and I can just eat 1-3 jelly babies and carry on but other times I need to sit down for 10-15 mins. You do gradually get better at managing them and knowing what to look out for.
One on my early warning signs is that my peripheral vision goes a bit blurry and another is that my tummy does a little flip like I am going down in a lift, especially if my levels are dropping fast. It just happens once but I now do a finger prick if I feel it because Libre will often not have picked up on the drop at that point, so my body can sometimes be well ahead of Libre. I would not notice these things if I didn't actually experience hypos afterwards so in some respects you need a few hypos to learn how to spot these early warning signs. These are quite a way before the more obvious wobbly legs and sweating. I often get them about 4.2.

Relying on Libre alarms means that many people will miss out on learning these signs so in some respects Paul having these hypos is a learning opportunity. He can gain confidence from treating them but also learn what his early warning signs are. Of course learning how to prevent them is also important, and it is without doubt because he has too much insulin in his system for the work he is doing. If they are happening at a regular time say mid morning or mid afternoon, then he can opt to have a snack about an hour before it is likely to happen to prevent it. This is sometimes referred to as "feeding the insulin" and can lead to weight gain over the long term if snacks are required every day to prevent them when in reality he is just taking too much insulin or he can learn to adjust his insulin.
Learning to carefully experiment on yourself with one eye firmly on keeping yourself safe is key to good diabetes management. We can talk Paul through the pros and cons of each decision he considers making here on the forum so that he can make safe/wise decisions, but even the best considered decisions don't always work out right because diabetes is fickle, but whatever you change can of course be undone and go back to the previous dose if your adjustment doesn't have the desired effect. Doing this, you gradually get confident and become intuitive about when you need to make changes and by how much.

Please reassure Paul that people survived for decades without even BG meters let alone Libre so whilst the alarms are really helpful they are not essential and learning to listen to and trust your body is also really important because sometimes the tech fails as he has found out.

As regards Paul's low alarm through the night, can you ask him if he double checked it with a finger prick before treating ir with something sweet? Libre are prone to what we call compression lows where they will give a false low if you lie on it for too long, so double checking with a finger prick is important unless you feel obviously hypo. It is also important to do the 15 minute follow up check with a finger prick and not rely on Libre because Libre will almost always show your levels having gone lower 15 mins after treatment, whereas a finger prick test will usually show that your levels have come back up and you are recovering.

Hi @Proud to be erratic, please find the screenshot of the Freestyle Libre 2 app. It shows the warning message about the sound issue. I have checked the app and the main setting on his Android phone and it's all already switched on and in working order, @Busdriver60 can hear the test alarms (high/low/loss of signal), but the app still has the same warning message. So frustrating... He couldn't hear the Libre alarm at work when he had hypos. When he was experiencing dizziness while working this morning, he recognised it and picked up his phone to check his app, which was showing low BG. The alarm was showing but no sounds at all. I have already reported the issue to his diabetes nurse.
It might be worth uninstalling the app and reinstalling. Or checking if it needs updated.

Other than that I think its a call to Abbot unfortunately xx

It might be worth uninstalling the app and reinstalling. Or checking if it needs updated.

Other than that I think its a call to Abbot unfortunately xx
For me reinstalling the app should be my position of last resort, particularly for Libre 2 where so much historical reports are so easily available within the multitude of reports held on the Libre app.

Yes, I know this date can be retrieved from the Web based "LibreView". But @GracefulAng and @Busdriver60 have either of you registered Paul onto LibreView. If by chance you haven't then do complete that Registration and then check that the data held on your app is definitely available - BEFORE uninstalling and reinstalling the existing LibreLink app. You probably have easy access to the Internet from a PC, I currently don't; so looking at the historical records from LibreView is simple enough from a PC, but much more awkward for me from my phone screen.

That said by all means do fully close down Paul's phone and restart it - that action alone may sort the potential Bluetooth hiccups. Also close and reopen the Bluetooth app as an interim measure if you realise the signal is broken and alarms not available.

Personally I would make that call to Abbott as an early measure; but I wouldn't replace my sensor until Abbott have confirmed they will replace that sensor. Should Abbott not agree to replace then I would as a minimum log the incident under the Government's Yellow Card Scheme for a prescribed medication that is not fit for purpose and endangering Paul's safety.
@GracefulAng Do you have a smartphone that you could download the LibreLink App to? Sometimes the loss or lack of alarms can be a problem with the phone rather than the sensor, so it might be worth Paul trying your phone. Some phones have weaker Bluetooth connectivity than others and if the Bluetooth connection drops out then there will be no alarms. Sometimes just having the phone on the same side of the body as the sensor helps to ensure a better signal.
Personally I find the reader far more reliable than the phone app and nice and small so it sits in a pocket more comfortably but they are not easy to acquire. I bought my original reader when I was self funding the original Libre which didn't have alarms and then it was upgraded from there.

I think it is important to have a realistic understanding and expectation of diabetes management with insulin (it is not easy) and I can remember my first few hypos and posting on here about having 2 in a fortnight which I was really worried about. I very naively had it in my head that I might have one or two hypos a year, but the reality is that they happen much more frequently and even with the help of Libre I have had 5 in the last 7 days and this is pretty typical for me. Sometimes I can have 2 or 3 in a day. Mostly they are very minor and I can just eat 1-3 jelly babies and carry on but other times I need to sit down for 10-15 mins. You do gradually get better at managing them and knowing what to look out for.
One on my early warning signs is that my peripheral vision goes a bit blurry and another is that my tummy does a little flip like I am going down in a lift, especially if my levels are dropping fast. It just happens once but I now do a finger prick if I feel it because Libre will often not have picked up on the drop at that point, so my body can sometimes be well ahead of Libre. I would not notice these things if I didn't actually experience hypos afterwards so in some respects you need a few hypos to learn how to spot these early warning signs. These are quite a way before the more obvious wobbly legs and sweating. I often get them about 4.2.

Relying on Libre alarms means that many people will miss out on learning these signs so in some respects Paul having these hypos is a learning opportunity. He can gain confidence from treating them but also learn what his early warning signs are. Of course learning how to prevent them is also important, and it is without doubt because he has too much insulin in his system for the work he is doing. If they are happening at a regular time say mid morning or mid afternoon, then he can opt to have a snack about an hour before it is likely to happen to prevent it. This is sometimes referred to as "feeding the insulin" and can lead to weight gain over the long term if snacks are required every day to prevent them when in reality he is just taking too much insulin or he can learn to adjust his insulin.
Learning to carefully experiment on yourself with one eye firmly on keeping yourself safe is key to good diabetes management. We can talk Paul through the pros and cons of each decision he considers making here on the forum so that he can make safe/wise decisions, but even the best considered decisions don't always work out right because diabetes is fickle, but whatever you change can of course be undone and go back to the previous dose if your adjustment doesn't have the desired effect. Doing this, you gradually get confident and become intuitive about when you need to make changes and by how much.

Please reassure Paul that people survived for decades without even BG meters let alone Libre so whilst the alarms are really helpful they are not essential and learning to listen to and trust your body is also really important because sometimes the tech fails as he has found out.

As regards Paul's low alarm through the night, can you ask him if he double checked it with a finger prick before treating ir with something sweet? Libre are prone to what we call compression lows where they will give a false low if you lie on it for too long, so double checking with a finger prick is important unless you feel obviously hypo. It is also important to do the 15 minute follow up check with a finger prick and not rely on Libre because Libre will almost always show your levels having gone lower 15 mins after treatment, whereas a finger prick test will usually show that your levels have come back up and you are recovering.
There is so much sensible extra advice in this reply from @rebrascora - about the tech and different ways of grappling with that; about learning to "listen to your body"; as well as the simple reality that people managed without the tech for decades (which needs a lot more finger pricking!).

Back