Ate KFC, just the chicken, but about 90 mins later BG is 13.2 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple_Panda

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As the title says.

I hadn't eaten KFC in a while and hadn't eaten all day so thought I'd get a box of the four mini fillets and a large popcorn chicken. I also ate a packet of those sugar free Fruitella wine gums. About 90 minutes later I've just tested my BG and it's 13.2. I took my metformin at the same time. I got to take some more later and linogliptin and empagliflozin.

But I'm worried now my next HBA1C is going to be super high despite having done so well each and every day to keep within the ranges sometimes 3.9 and mostly 4.5-5.5 ranges.

Should I maybe ask for a HBA1C test asap?

A one off high will not effect your hba1c, it's an average of your last 3 months, what benefit would it be having one done ASAP?

I'd be careful about a packet of sugar free wine gums as well, they are full of sweeteners that cause a laxative effect in large quantities so you may be a bit unwell some time in the near future
xx

Remember the coating on the chicken and the popcorn chicken contains flour which has a carb value. I personally would not worry about your Hba1c as your13.2 is a rare occurrence and the Hba1c is an average over 3-6 months.

You're doing well to stay between 4 and 5 every day, so a one-off high is nothing to worry about.

Hope you enjoyed the KFC at least! :D

I think you’ve satisfactorily demonstrated that the breadcrumb coating on the fried chicken have quite a big effect on your BGs.

I’m not sure what the sugar free gums were made of, but sometimes those sugar free sweets contain different polyol type sugars, but still quite a few carbs - just no sucrose 🙄

As @Kaylz says, a one off reading probably won’t have much of an immediate effect on HbA1c - it would need to be a more general drift towards higher BGs to start to register I think?

I'm sweating so much atm since I ate but admittedly the heaters are on and I had a cup of this green tea thing that acts as a laxative.

But my word I never realised just how bad these things were.

Just tested again more than two hours after I started eating and after taking metformin it's down to 11.

I wish I had just eaten the blueberries, or blackberries or strawberries instead tbh.

Honestly don't worry. It's just one meal and the impact on your hba1c will be minimal. Gives you a right fright though!

Honestly don't worry. It's just one meal and the impact on your hba1c will be minimal. Gives you a right fright though!
beyond frightening.

Ironically I had some smoked chicken with a homemade barbecue mustard and it had little if any affect on my BG. And just eating chicken skyrocketed it.

Additionally, several months ago I had a fillet burger and fries and a pepsi max and it only went up to 10 after eating before going down. So it's all a bit worrying.

A large popcorn chicken is just under 30g carbs and the mini fillets are 6g each, I think, so if you had 4, that’s another 24g carbs. My guess is 54g carbs in total (ignoring any carbs in the sweets).

Anything in batter or breadcrumbs can be deceptive and up the carbs quite a bit.

Just tested my BG now after about 3 hours, BG is 8.1.

I'm going off this whole test after 90 minutes thing but is it also a case of because I over-indulged with the four fillets and large popcorn chicken that it's taking a little longer to get back down to normal?

I've learnt my lesson just went and did a decent shop before the big interview, got some low carb soups, veggie sausages and burgers, berries, and sugar free jelly and macadamias, all of which have been good with my BG levels.

I've learnt my lesson, the Colonel is no friend of mine. For the time being at least or unless he brings out a grilled range in the meantime.

OK peeps just tested now and it's down to 5.6 about four hours after I ate so it goes to show I really did overindulge (tbh I ate more than what would be a standard portion any way) and that "chicken" at KFC has so many hidden ingredients that can affect your BG level which I haven't experienced even when indulging on berries, pickled cucumbers or even soup or a big plate of tofu sausages.

Colonel Sanders and his red-haired clown rival are no friends of diabetics, at least not until we are deep into remission.

Even if or when I get to remission I won't be reverting to a life of indulgence.

The clown's burgers are OK ish - it is the buns (and fries) that are not.

I get the ordinary chicken and peel it - that seems to take it down to ordinary chicken levels.
I get cod from the fish shop and peel the batter off that to make it safe.

The clown's burgers are OK ish - it is the buns (and fries) that are not.
thing is I don't eat beef so I'm limited in that respect and it seems a waste as well as cumbersome to get the chicken or fish stuffs and spend time picking away at them.

You are allowed to cook for yourself, you know. I don’t eat, and never will, KFC because I know the welfare conditions where they buy in their chicken. Remember its being supplied by the lowest bidder.

Think there is a lesson to be learnt here, was it worth all the panic ?

If you think 13.2 is a reading to panic over, I went up to 27 after eating a bag of Jacobs salt and balsamic vinegar crackers in a moment of naivety when I was first diagnosed and it took me a sleepless night and over a gallon of water with extremely frequent comfort breaks, to bring it down to just 22 by the next morning. This was before I was started on insulin. It certainly cured me of any interest in eating them again although I still buy them for my partner.

As others have said everything we eat has a price , sometimes it’s worth paying other times it isn’t . I wouldn’t pay the price for a takeaway but I would for raspberry bread and butter pudding... yum

To be fair, it’s different as a Type 1 on insulin. We can bolus for anything we choose to eat. Those Jacobs crackers are yummy (sour cream flavour for me!) and I have no problem eating a portion with the appropriate insulin. It’s the lack of insulin that pushed you high not the crackers. Just before I was diagnosed, I felt pretty sick so had eaten very little that day. The meal I had before the emergency doctor was called out was a vegetable stir fry. That apparently pushed me up to almost 30 - not! It was a deficiency of insulin not ‘bad’ food.

For a diet-controlled Type 2, it’s different and that impacts their choices.

As Mikey says, there are other reasons to avoid KFC and McD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back