Arrrrggghhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.

smile4loubie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I actually give up !!!
Blood sugars were at 18 before lunch had a tuna sandwich on brown bread and 20 units of novorapid then tested just now (4 hours later after eating nothing) and Im at 17.9

I give up now, I cant do it so it can screw my body up now even more than it has already, I have no idea what I'm doing so not doing anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never give up Lou! I'm wondering if your basal/slow insulin is sufficient? Have you tried doing a basal test? This is when you have a no-carb meal like an omelette, test your levels before and at 2 and 4 hours - if your levels climb then your basal is too low (it can't deal with the glucose your liver produces). You can do it!🙂

my morning levels are usually ok. if I increase it go really low about 3/4am

Don't give up lou, you really dont want to get on that train of thought and fall headlong into all the wonderful complications... Our understanding of diabetes doesn't happen overnight and for quite a while you are on a learning curve..

I am still tinkering with my novorapid to get my sugars better, its trial and error until you find out how certain foods affect you.. I saw my DSN today and she has increased my nightly levemir to reduce my morning levels and is happy with the novorapid and how I am doing it.. have you seen a dietican/DSN can you call and get an appt with them.

****NEVER GIVE UP****

I can't remember - do you split your levemir? That might help if you don't already, or maybe try lantus. Hopefully, you will get some better care and attention soon🙂

Lou as others say try and stay strong, don't give up!

Try and get a phone number of some one to talk to maybe try and get a number for someone at the CEDAR centre, well that's what my nurse told me to do?

Hope you have more luck with your evening meal, is it a new batch of Insulin, was there anything different or one of those random moments?

How have things generally been lately, have you been having better luck, have you been trying the low carb route at all?

Take care

Rossi

When I was pregnant I had this same problem so I took my normal dose of levamir at night and them some more in the morning - it seemed to do the trick. Don't give up you can do it - take care xxx

Sorry to hear about your problem. Personally, if i find i'm very high just before a meal , i have a larger insulin dose than normal and then leave my lunch till later, doing tests every 15-20 minutes or so after the injection.

Then, once my levels are down to say 6 or 7 ish, i eat my lunch and continue to test every 20 mins to make sure i don't continue to fall or rise too much again. Sounds like a lot of work but it has helped me sometimes. Being high in sugar makes me feel terrible so i'm prepared to go to a lot of trouble to reverse it as quickly as possible.

Best of luck with whatever you do.

"Blood sugars were at 18 before lunch had a tuna sandwich on brown bread and 20 units of novorapid then tested just now (4 hours later after eating nothing) and Im at 17.9"

Was your lunch carb-counted and did you take any extra quick acting insuling to correct for being high pre lunch?

If you carb counted but didn't correct, then you took the right amount of insulin to cover the sandwich, as your BG was the same after eating. You'd just need to add in some extra units to correct for being high to start with.

However, if you did include some extra to correct the high and it didn't work - try changing your cartridge, check your pen works (squirt 20 units into the cap of a needle and check it fills the narrow bit). And if it happens again then think about your basal insulin.

If it's any consolation I sometimes have injections that don't seem to do anything - generally when I'm coming down with a cold, or I've had a much less active day than usual (e.g. sitting ona train all day)

Please don't give up. Keep a diary of what you eat and how much insulin you took, and look for trends rather than getting worried about one or two readings.

Lou as others say try and stay strong, don't give up!

Try and get a phone number of some one to talk to maybe try and get a number for someone at the CEDAR centre, well that's what my nurse told me to do?

Hope you have more luck with your evening meal, is it a new batch of Insulin, was there anything different or one of those random moments?

How have things generally been lately, have you been having better luck, have you been trying the low carb route at all?

Take care

Rossi

I wish it was a one off but nopes this is what my levels are like all the time, I was at 20 when I last checked..

"Blood sugars were at 18 before lunch had a tuna sandwich on brown bread and 20 units of novorapid then tested just now (4 hours later after eating nothing) and Im at 17.9"

Was your lunch carb-counted and did you take any extra quick acting insuling to correct for being high pre lunch?

If you carb counted but didn't correct, then you took the right amount of insulin to cover the sandwich, as your BG was the same after eating. You'd just need to add in some extra units to correct for being high to start with.

However, if you did include some extra to correct the high and it didn't work - try changing your cartridge, check your pen works (squirt 20 units into the cap of a needle and check it fills the narrow bit). And if it happens again then think about your basal insulin.

If it's any consolation I sometimes have injections that don't seem to do anything - generally when I'm coming down with a cold, or I've had a much less active day than usual (e.g. sitting ona train all day)

Please don't give up. Keep a diary of what you eat and how much insulin you took, and look for trends rather than getting worried about one or two readings.

I don't know how to carb count

Sorry to hear about your problem. Personally, if i find i'm very high just before a meal , i have a larger insulin dose than normal and then leave my lunch till later, doing tests every 15-20 minutes or so after the injection.

Then, once my levels are down to say 6 or 7 ish, i eat my lunch and continue to test every 20 mins to make sure i don't continue to fall or rise too much again. Sounds like a lot of work but it has helped me sometimes. Being high in sugar makes me feel terrible so i'm prepared to go to a lot of trouble to reverse it as quickly as possible.

Best of luck with whatever you do.

I cant test that much, i only have one hand so fingers get sore and skin gets hard very quickly :( another reason why I feel like giving up

I cant test that much, i only have one hand so fingers get sore and skin gets hard very quickly :( another reason why I feel like giving up

Some meters let you test 'alternative' sites, like your forearm - not sure which, but maybe someone else can help? Might save your poor fingers for a while and give them the chance to recover.

Some meters let you test 'alternative' sites, like your forearm - not sure which, but maybe someone else can help? Might save your poor fingers for a while and give them the chance to recover.

Yeah the metre i have the freestyle lite comes with a clear cap that you attatch to the finger pricker instead of the blue and thats for legs arms etc.I am still to use it yet .

Yeah the metre i have the freestyle lite comes with a clear cap that you attatch to the finger pricker instead of the blue and thats for legs arms etc.I am still to use it yet .

I got that one but the needle wont go in deep enough lol just scratches the surface... not helping in the slightest.

I got that one but the needle wont go in deep enough lol just scratches the surface... not helping in the slightest.

Really wow i find having it on 4 gives me plenty blood,but i guess as i aint tryed pricking anywhere else i wont know.🙄

Used to be ok, dunno why its not anymore, i think im one of those ppl who just cause trouble even though I don't mean to :( xx

Or try this one: http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Carb counting is hard work, and you have to put in some homework for the first month or so, so try not to get disheartened. I kept a food, BG and insulin diary for a month (like the sheets in the Bournemouth website) and looked up the carb content of everything I ate in the reference tables or on the food labels. It's worth it in the long run - although even when you think you've got it sorted then your ratios change for apparently no reason at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back