Are there any issues using xDrip+ rather than LIbrelink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragon05

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As the title, new to the forum but not to diabetes, updated my Librelink to v2 (now v 2.10.1.10406) and then found that my phone wasn't compatible, Changed to a new phone which is IMHO a downgrade to my old phone but it does run the rtCGM function of Librelink. However it has so many other issues that it will soon be returned (I'm loathe to buy yet another one further up the food chain) and I would prefer to return to my previous phone and use xDrip+ to manage my Libre 2.
Does anyone have any knowledge of issues with this scenario? or the use of xDrip+ solely for monitoring? or using xDrip+ with OOP2 for rtCGM?
There appears to be a method to start the sensor using the reader rather than librelink which will facilitate using the xDrip+ as rtCGM, the reader for alarms and scanning, Librelink for scanning only.
Apologies for the lack of brevity any opinions would be welcome before I go down this route!

There appears to be a method to start the sensor using the reader rather than librelink which will facilitate using the xDrip+ as rtCGM, the reader for alarms and scanning, Librelink for scanning only.
I've been doing that for months now, only with Juggluco rather than xDrip+ and OOP2. I presume xDrip+ (and OOP2) would work similarly, and there'd be no problems in doing that.

I used to do exactly that. Two potential issues
  • Do you need to share your Libre readings with anyone? XDrip will not upload to LibreView.
  • I needed LibreLink (or the reader) to start a new sensor. My memory is that xDrip has no NFC to start a sensor.

That's given me more thought, I hadn't heard of Juggluco, so I'm wondering now how many different platforms / apps are there and which is better / easier? Setting up the xDrip+ OOP2 appears quite complicated the process info on Juggluco appears to suggest that the process is straightforward, would that be your estimation?

Re the sharing part presently my data is viewable by my consultant through linked practices in Libreview, but I'm not sure if that outweighs the benefits of rtCGM. Especially if I could export data from xdrip.I would hopefully use reader to start sensor and then then scan using reader at regular intervals which would when uploaded give a limited data set to Libreview.

Setting up the xDrip+ OOP2 appears quite complicated the process info on Juggluco appears to suggest that the process is straightforward, would that be your estimation?
I doubt there's that much in it but I haven't used xDrip+. One thing to acknowledge is that Juggluco's interface is unconventional: it goes immediately into landscape mode (and that can't be switched) and you get the menus by touching the screen in unmarked places (imagine the screen split into 4 strips from left to right, and touching in each gives you a different menu).

It's just a bit weird. Works well enough, I think, but it is strange and different to other Android apps.

As you probably noticed it does support uploading data to LibreView. (I haven't used that: I still scan with LibreLink and let that upload the data.) It supports scanning (sometimes there's connection loss and sometimes scanning still returns a value).

I do exactly what you want to do, using XDrip+ and libre2. I use the old-school Libre reader device to start the sensors, I've not even looked to see whether XDrip+ can start then, though iirc there was a non-official app that could start sensors, I also have a feeling that XDrip+ can take control of a sensor even if started using the app, as long as the app is killed and prevented from starting again, but best to check the github forum (I can't remember the exact name of the section off the top of my head.)

Works fine, and I upload to Tidepool which my consultant was happy to use and also the new (to me) Diabetes MyWay (suggested repeatedly by the local surgery) will link to Tidepool (and nothing else it would seem.)

The disadvantage of Juggluco from my point of view is that it does not accept calibrations, and I find my libre sensors drift quite considerably. YMMV.

Last edited:
The disadvantage of Juggluco from my point of view is that it does not accept calibrations,
Yes, that's true. It does seem to give exactly the readings that LibreLink (and the reader) does, but that's not necessarily always a positive.

Thanks for the info folks, much appreciated.
I have installed both apps on old phone and of the 2 I am leaning towards Juggluco.... one reason is the libraview upload, I am also happy with the unconventional (different) view. It also appears simpler to set up if not less all encompassing.
I'm not sure that Diabetes My Way is usable in my area, I installed the app and the first thing it requested was my location with a choice of Scotland or Somerset! However after some further research it appears to be becoming available in more areas (but not yet mine). I did try registration but have not yet received confirmatory email. I haven't looked at Tidepool properly yet.
I'm intending to try the next sensor (6 days) on one of the above using reader to start and cutting Librelink out of the equation altogether. As previously stated It doesn't support my old (better) phone and the new phone has given me nothing but grief....

Does Juggluco have a way to start the sensor?
Or will you need to use your grief-driven newer phone to start a sensor and then go back to your better old phone for Juggluco?

As my current sensor is faulty, I've phoned to get a replacement and have been told that my Mk1 reader is no longer supported so they will be sending me a mk2 version (along with a replacement sensor and a returns bag/envelope for the faulty sensor).

On the assumption that sensors will continue to fail, I'll likely be doing some testing to see how one can start and importantly rescan sensors to provide the data they need for a return, while using XDrip+ for the rest of the time.

If there's anyone else with any experience using the newer reader for this purpose (i.e. start and then scan at a much later date, perhaps after using the official app in the middle) I'd be interested to hear that it works.

I'm pretty sure it should do from what I've read and there are instructions online about starting using the app and then disabling it: https://xdrip.readthedocs.io/en/latest/troubleshoot/libre2/#prerequisites-to-connection but if possible I'd prefer to not bother faffing with the official app at all

If there's anyone else with any experience using the newer reader for this purpose (i.e. start and then scan at a much later date, perhaps after using the official app in the middle) I'd be interested to hear that it works.
It works fine. Just the same as the original reader. The only difference is the new reader only supports Libre 2 sensors, is a different colour (dark blue), supports alarms (until they get stolen by an unsupported phone app), and needs charging much more often (even if you explicitly turn off the alarms).

It works fine. Just the same as the original reader. The only difference is the new reader only supports Libre 2 sensors, is a different colour (dark blue), supports alarms (until they get stolen by an unsupported phone app), and needs charging much more often (even if you explicitly turn off the alarms).
Great, thanks 🙂

Reading the Juggluco docs it states that it can establish a connection after sensor started with reader or librelink, Bruce I am assuming this is your experience? Have u had any issues starting sensors and continuing with Juggluco?

It also states that u can use multiple sensors, but I would assume the reader starting a new sensor would "kill" the old one! Is there a workaround?

Reading the Juggluco docs it states that it can establish a connection after sensor started with reader or librelink, Bruce I am assuming this is your experience? Have u had any issues starting sensors and continuing with Juggluco?
No, it works as described. I start with the reader (which I can continue using to scan) and then Juggluco can both scan and receives the readings over Bluetooth.
It also states that u can use multiple sensors, but I would assume the reader starting a new sensor would "kill" the old one! Is there a workaround?
When I initialise the new sensor, the reader will stop being able to scan the old sensor. But Juggluco continues reading from both until I remove the old sensor and remove it from Juggluco (with the Terminate option).

But Juggluco continues reading from both until I remove the old sensor and remove it from Juggluco (with the Terminate option).
I don't know how that would work when uploading data to LibreView. I've also heard people say the dying sensor is just repeating the last few hours of readings rather than actually still working.

I don't know how that would work when uploading data to LibreView. I've also heard people say the dying sensor is just repeating the last few hours of readings rather than actually still working.
The sensors do definitely continue to work for another 6h rather than repeating data. In old days of Libre1 they did used to do odd things - some would continue to work for a long time, some for less time, and I do recall in the dim and distant past seeing repeated data but that was with a libre1 for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back