• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

Are routine 3 month tests not routine?

Ruby/London

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
... Not to mention often travelling on public transport.... our public sector workers, delivery people, bus drivers, teachers etc are really putting themselves on the line. I am fortunate to be able to work from home and am mighty grateful that I can.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Excuse me asking, but don't surgery staff need to shop for food and live wherever, quite probably with other members of their own family, some of whom also have jobs, and therefore they mix with other folk and may get exposed to the virus and pass it on? Where the hell did my husband and I get the virus from, living on a main road with a bus stop in front of our house and a public footpath running down the side and rear of it, when we haven't been in a shop since about September when I had to go in Asda 3 times to get new glasses and other than that we've only been out for medical appointments.

Not everybody has access to online systems - neither of us do at the moment despite being some of the first people in our network to own a computer and later get the internet at home as soon as it rolled out in our neck of the woods - because somebody has imposed a brand new computer system on our GP surgery and they weren't allowed to have any input whatsoever into 'when' - according to the Doc I've known for over 20 years and is now designated Head of Practice. They only have c, 13,000 patients registered and are involved in their Primary Network hub to give CV19 jabs which opened this week, so not like they're busy or anything like that at the moment, then.

Pete asked them yesterday if any news 'when' and there wasn't - so he ordered his prescription over the phone again - and that's what we all have to do because of the new system. Which of course, has added work cos someone has to write it all down to pass it to one of the GPs to authorise and pass it to the pharmacy - it's utterly bonkers for everyone, them and their patients.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yes, surgeries vary but I get my bloods done at the local hospital which is operating for bloods. All my DN needs to do is send an electronic form to the hospital. There is no excuse not to do that. I have access to my surgeries online system including test results and we all have a right to that access. That means I can see my blood test results even if I don't have a review and I always have the review having seen my results which speeds-up the review. It is easy for surgeries to use Covid as an excuse. Tell me why should surgery staff be so ill with Covid when they hardly see patients in person currently and when they do they go thru a thorough cleaning routine.
My surgery had to close its dispensary for a couple of weeks before Xmas because of staff shortages, due to sickness and self isolation!

Loobyloo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Nurse rang for review and was a little puzzled i had review arranged but had not had blood tests done to review. So she has arranged for full bloods and kidney and thyroid test. She did look at my results in Sept and pending next weeks being as low as last time is going to cut my meds :)

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Nurse rang for review and was a little puzzled i had review arranged but had not had blood tests done to review. So she has arranged for full bloods and kidney and thyroid test. She did look at my results in Sept and pending next weeks being as low as last time is going to cut my meds :)
Mine was the other way around @Loobyloo. Went for a blood test last week, rang for results yesterday and had to ask for a review! I've come down from 37 to 36 so want to come off or cut meds if possible, like you.

Loobyloo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Mine was the other way around @Loobyloo. Went for a blood test last week, rang for results yesterday and had to ask for a review! I've come down from 37 to 36 so want to come off or cut meds if possible, like you.
Receptionist wouldn't let me book bloods said i had to have review first which i said at the time seemed wrong way around. Never mind this nurse was helpful and its being done now. I like you have worked hard to lose weight etc so i can hopefully eventually get off the meds as they do give me problems. She was going to cut mine by half if my bloods come back at 40 or below again so can't see any reason yours won't be lowered as you have done wonderful job of losing weight and getting a great hba1c result. Then if i can then get good results with that 1/2 dose then cut the rest eventually. Good luck.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Mine are annually, and my last A1c was about 80 so isn’t because of being in normal range

Loobyloo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Mine are annually, and my last A1c was about 80 so isn’t because of being in normal range
Oh dear it really does seem to depend on your surgery/healthcare team looking at different peoples answers. Some have excellent care and others seem to be left to their own devices. I think with a count of 80 i would like someone to keep an eye on it more regularly then annually. I can understand at the moment there are other pressures on the NHS so maybe this accounts for some checks being put on the back burner.

Loobyloo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Mine was the other way around @Loobyloo. Went for a blood test last week, rang for results yesterday and had to ask for a review! I've come down from 37 to 36 so want to come off or cut meds if possible, like yo

I've got a result of 37 today @Vonny so half the meds going! :) will cut to 1000mg and see how it goes and then hope to cut that in the end. Have you had your review yet?

Last edited:

adrian1der

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I would push hard @Vonny My GP said retest in six months and then come off meds but with a bit of persuasion he took me off the meds immediately