Apps that turn your Libre into a cgm on Android phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Someone asked me if I had download the Shuggah app however as I have an android phone and I can't find the app on Google Play I am assuming that I can't use it.

I was going to order the starter pack for GlucoRx for two reasons; the replacement sensors are cheaper and because I often forget to scan if I am busy at work so having a constant track of my blood glucose with alarms if I am too high or low is ideal. However my phone is not compatible with GlucoRX app and although I know that if you can download the app and set up an email it should work but @nearly £100 for the starter pack it's an expensive risk.

If there's an app that works on Android phones that converts libre 2 into a cgm that would be great. Has to be free and not too complicated.

Any suggestions with pros and cons would be great

Shuggah is derived from xDrip4IOS, which is itself derived from XDrip+. I have been using XDrip+ for several years now. It is quirky, for sure, but I find it invaluable. Currently, I use it with a MiaoMiao adapter, running on a Samsung Galaxy A41 phone ( no SIM - I just use it to run XDrip+ - my main phone is an iPhone 8 ).

I am still on Libre 1, though, so I have yet to make the leap to Libre 2. I know XDrip+ works with Libre 2, but the process is non-trivial, I think. Maybe try here for more information? https://xdrip.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Good luck!

Shuggah is derived from xDrip4IOS, which is itself derived from XDrip+. I have been using XDrip+ for several years now. It is quirky, for sure, but I find it invaluable. Currently, I use it with a MiaoMiao adapter, running on a Samsung Galaxy A41 phone ( no SIM - I just use it to run XDrip+ - my main phone is an iPhone 8 ).

I am still on Libre 1, though, so I have yet to make the leap to Libre 2. I know XDrip+ works with Libre 2, but the process is non-trivial, I think. Maybe try here for more information? https://xdrip.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Good luck!
Hi

Thank you for your reply but I am not sure what you mean by non-trivial.

I have read the link however the bit about it not being supported or whatever by Abbott is concerning. I understand why as they would never sell any future developments. However if they didn't make it so expensive to self fund this would not be an issue.

I only have one phone which is Sony Xperia 5 which is as android.

How does it work exactly?

These solutions hVe grown out of the grassroots ‘we are not r
waiting’ community.

There are a number of options, but AAPS (Android Artificial Pancreas System) is one of the better known ones.

As you have already worked out there options are not officially supported but the companies, but there is a large online community of people who devote a lot of time and effort into helping people build their own systems.

One of the key things about these options is that they cannot be provided intact by someone else - each person needs to build their own, and accept the responsibility for its safe operation.

There’s an old introduction to the basic principles here:

I used xDrip+ on my Android for years. It is not on the App Store because it is not approved by Google. However, that does not mean you cannot use it.
You need to download it from GitHub. I found the best place to get instructions and support are from the xDrip Facebook group. It is a closed group but it appears they approve entry for anyone who applies - they let me in. The useful documents are under the Files tab of the group.

I initially used xDrip+ with the first Libre instance and a Miaomiao.
When Libre 2 was released, I ditched the Miaomiao and used the OOP2 app to hijack the Bluetooth message that is used for the alarm as it contains the current reading.

With a software engineering background, I had no trouble following the instructions to install and set up both xDrip+ and OOP2. However, the instructions assume a certain knowledge of how phones work (e.g needing to change file extensions). If you are expecting something as simple as LibreLink you will be frustrated and disappointed.

This does not provide the closed loop system @everydayupsanddowns provided links to but, once set up, it is more useful than LibreLink: in addition to only needing to scan to start a sensor, you can calibrate it and show the latest reading on the Lock screen. It still provides alarms as LibreLink does (maybe more - I have not used it for the last 6 months as I am now using the CGM which talks to my pump.)

I have not experience of Shuggah but, if it is available on Android, I expect it to be similar to xDrip+ as they have the same root.

I realise, of course, @HalfpipMarathon that i have sent you off down a bit of an unnecessary rabbit hole with AAPS, when all you are wanting was a libre-to-cgm option.

I use Juggluco.

It's on Play Store, so degree of QA reassurance.
Very simple to setup, and pretty much a single focus - to display the minute by minute BG level sent from the phone.

I use it along side the librelink app so it keeps my consultant in to loop. She was impressed with the app when I showed her.

Documentation is a bit basic, the author is Dutch and although his English is brilliant, he's a techy and you know what their like with documentation?

I use Juggluco.

It's on Play Store, so degree of QA reassurance.
Very simple to setup, and pretty much a single focus - to display the minute by minute BG level sent from the phone.

I use it along side the librelink app so it keeps my consultant in to loop. She was impressed with the app when I showed her.

Documentation is a bit basic, the author is Dutch and although his English is brilliant, he's a techy and you know what their like with documentation?
Hi Barry

Thank you.

When you say it's simple to set up how do you mean?

Just want a simple app that I can download, log in and presumably link to my libre sensor.

Note: I can't find it on Google Play store. Nothing coming up when I google.

While I've never heard of this Android app, I followed a trail of breadcrumbs just now which brought me to this URL which might give you a way to get the app on to your phone. Be advised, as this web page states, that the most recent version of the app was rejected by Google Play (which is why, most likely, you were unable to find it there). Also, the app is not guaranteed to work in all geographies. All the screenshots I looked at just now were showing US blood-sugar units.

As ever, best of luck with this...

Hmm, this is strange. I'm running it, it shows in the play app, but if I click on it I get an Oops! from Google, so I guess something has made Google pull it. Very sad.

I have the guy's email so I'll see what I can find out.

Hi, I use Diabox , it's not on the play store, so you have to Google it then download it.
It's easy to set up, and turns your libre 2 into a cgm, you get a constant reading on your phone screen and can even have it on your watch too.Screenshot_20220817-203202_DiaBox.jpg20220727_155649.jpg

Like that, do you have to go on libre app for it to show up or does it also show up on homescreen.
Hi, I use Diabox , it's not on the play store, so you have to Google it then download it.
It's easy to set up, and turns your libre 2 into a cgm, you get a constant reading on your phone screen and can even have it on your watch too.View attachment 22625View attachment 22626
What do you mean by easy to set up? Set up what? That rings alarm bells to me. Not sure why.

Like that, do you have to go on libre app for it to show up or does it also show up on homescreen.
It has its own app that shows the readings on your phone. To put it on my watch, I use the wearable widgets app.

I think @Martin62 said it is NOT available on the play store so you have to use Google to find it.
Okay thanks. My only concern is it ok on an Android phone. I have read a post saying it had been removed as Libre didn't like it. My answer to that would be make it more accessible, convenient and cheap then people wouldn't need to use such apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back