Apps - carb tracking and diabetes management

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucysLostSister

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Posting here as it straddles a few topics.

Those who use apps which free or very cheap apps do you use for tracking diet/carbs and/or blood sugar results & other related info?

Would be good if it’s one that I can use to show hcps what I’m doing?

There are so many it’s hard to choose

I use Samsung health (installed as standard on my phone) to track what I'm eating (calories & carbs) and the free version of MySugr to track fingerprick blood glucose readings. I recorded the fingerprick readings in the paper book that came with my meter too to show my HCP though (and when I got told to test less often just recorded fewer in the book 😉 and continued to test the amount that made me feel comfortable).

Meters will usually also allow HCP to look through your blood glucose readings if you take it with you, but doesn't provide the easy interpretation of peaks and averages that the MySugr app does.

I use my own App. Monitors BG, health stuff, nutrition stuff, vitamins, minerals, meds, appointments

I think MySugr is available for iPhone too.

Does Apple Health allow you to record meals?

No apple health is hopeless! BUT that has reminded me to add the diabetes to my medical info that can be accessed in an emergency.

I’ll look at MySgr thanks

Am I right in thinking you have had your diagnosis confirmed with an HbA1C of 103mmol/mol, if so you should perhaps change your signature from At risk of diabetes' to Type 2 as otherwise it might mislead people when they make suggestions.

Ok I don’t think that’s any more helpful than if I made myself a spreadsheet? Very fiddly and unclear and can’t look up foods to see how many carbs in something have to look up on browser. I can’t figure out how it works/

Am I right in thinking you have had your diagnosis confirmed with an HbA1C of 103mmol/mol, if so you should perhaps change your signature from At risk of diabetes' to Type 2 as otherwise it might mislead people when they make suggestions.
Have I done it right? Wasn’t sure I figured that out either

Also the way it shows is as if I ate when I logged it? Can’t change the time of that?

Have I done it right? Wasn’t sure I figured that out either
I'm not sure how to do it but you should be able to change it under your avatar (in the blue bit at the left) to show Type 2. as it still shows at risk. You have got it within to post at the bottom so thats fine but not as obvious.

Ok I don’t think that’s any more helpful than if I made myself a spreadsheet? Very fiddly and unclear and can’t look up foods to see how many carbs in something have to look up on browser. I can’t figure out how it works/
Yeah MySugr isn't one for tracking foods particularly, you can just add your carbs separately.

You could try Carbs & Cals maybe? I've seen a few people recommend that. I think it has a free version but that's a bit more limited than the paid version, and maybe a free trial of the paid version too

For tracking and recording / pattern spotting I also found mySugr to be the logging app that suited me best.

The free version is really well-featured, but you can opt for the paid version for additional bells and whistles 🙂

Nutracheck and myfitnesspal seem to be the ones folks use for food / carb tracking. I don’t know enough about the various paid/ free / subscription options though.

Carbs and Cals in book form is cheap. I think the (regularly updated) app can get a bit pricey.

I found the Carbs and Cals book was my bible together with info from the internet on total carbs for Food X on google and some scales. I then just used a simple table on my computer to record meals, carbs and blood glucose readings from my monitor.
After a while there was a pretty good list of the foods I mostly had.

Carbs and cals app used to be paid for one off, they changed to subscription in the last year or so.

I use MyFitnessPal for food tracking and mySugr for recording blood glucose

I’ve started a spreadsheet on my phone instead. Myfitnesspal was recommended to me when I was dieting but I learned it wasn’t very accurate mainly as anybody can update the database and lay people can’t be relied on.

Food labels and looking online at the manufacturers own info seems more accurate.

I’ve started a spreadsheet on my phone instead. Myfitnesspal was recommended to me when I was dieting but I learned it wasn’t very accurate mainly as anybody can update the database and lay people can’t be relied on.

Food labels and looking online at the manufacturers own info seems more accurate.

Glad you’ve found a method that works for you @LucysLostSister

There was a brilliant (but now defunct) app called ‘cook and count carbs‘ which I used for some years, and which had a ready-made database of basics, but also the ability to add your own entries from the packets you actually used.

Then you could construct meal recipes that you’d make, and divide by any number of portions.

Alas the developers could not keep pace with relentless OS upgrades so it fell by the wayside, but I found it very handy when I had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back