Appointment times... for newly diagnosed

Status
Not open for further replies.
My personal experience, the same PCT as my freinds daughter, but a good many years ago, was quite different.

A forward thinking GP who had no problem admitting where his limitations were and defending the best interests of his patients, together with a holistic approach to healthcare - if he got me fixed at the earliest possible opportunity, then there was less chance in x months or years I'd still be going back, putting a drain on his time and resource while he faddled around bluffing me, it always seemed a realistic and sensible approach.

Prevention being better than cure.

I wonder where the NHS has lost sight of this phrase? With limited funding for DAFNE courses, newly diagnosed training etc. Surely someone needs to wake up and realise fudging this years budget for training or preventative care is a very short term gain compared to the horrific costs waiting due to complications through poor management in the years to come?

It's about time these people are held to account, they are having our money thrown at them and clearly don't have the best interests of our health, future wellbeing or any regard for the money we all pay in taxation and National Insurance to keep them in a job, while they fail so many of us. When will we see a return on the investment these people are supposed to make on the behalf of the nations health?

I am certainly of the opinion that they don't have a clue how to run very much and wonder if perhaps it isn't time to bring some visionaries in from the commercial world, not to slash budgets (hence visionaries - a sight of many plains and levels, not just the short term numbers). People who can look at a budget and a forecast, one, three, five, ten years plus in advance and realise the investment needed in the short term for the return in the long term.

Economics and comprehensive health management can and must work and exist side by side.

Here here!

I have a very good GP, I can get an emergency appointment on the day and I have to say, I do get a good service. Aside from my long-winded pump clinic referal, I get an excellent service from my Hospital Diabetes clinic and when I have been referred for Dafne, Psychological support and eye checks at all times. I have not had to wait. It is so awful that this is not a blanket service for the whole of the UK, the varying service is appauling, worse so when you consider the future of diabetes and the number of service users there will be in 10 or 20 years time.

The hospital I attend is a foundation hospital, and as such, I am a member which entitles me to my say. I dont think it makes much difference though. I would like to see a complete overhaul, a radical change. This makes me think about the post I just put on the thread about the GP prescriptions for test strips and meters for those with Type 2 diabetes. It infuriates me! Used correctly this in my opinion can only support people in their self-management. But dont get me started.....!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back