Anyone going up!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that shouldn't be an issue as long as the carbs are being counted in order to get the correct insulin dose.
It sounds as if he may be having too much insulin for the carbs if he is having hypos.
Does he/you know the rules for dealing with hypos?
My partner has had Type 1 for over 40 years so he does know the rules and, more importantly, so do I, having had to deal with many in the middle of the night. Now, he is having more trouble with rising BG and that is due, as I have explained in another post, to his shriveled pancreas and cyst filling the space between the pancreas and other organ(s). He has been in hospital 4/5 times since November last year, when he went into a coma on our return from holiday. I think he is being a bit gung ho about checking his levels and keeping up with injections but I could be wrong, as in the past he's always been almost religious about it. He isn't having too much insulin for the carbs being counted but it's hard getting the balance right. Even so, that much sugar hidden in a can of soup should not be ignored by any diabetic.

Last edited:
My partner has had Type 1 for over 40 years so he does know the rules and, more importantly, so do I, having had to deal with many in the middle of the night. Now, he is having more trouble with rising BG and that is due, as I have explained in another post, to his shriveled pancreas and cyst filling the space between the pancreas and other organ(s). He has been in hospital 4/5 times since November last year, when he went into a coma on our return from holiday. I think he is being a bit gung ho about checking his levels and keeping up with injections but I could be wrong, as in the past he's always been almost religious about it. He isn't having too much insulin for the carbs being counted but it's hard getting the balance right.
Thank you for explaining, it must make it very challenging to manage. I hope you have good support from the diabetic team.

But that shouldn't be an issue as long as the carbs are being counted in order to get the correct insulin dose.
It sounds as if he may be having too much insulin for the carbs if he is having hypos.
Does he/you know the rules for dealing with hypos?
12 tsps of sugar surely isn't good for anyone (diabetic or not) unless you're having a hypo!

Thank you for explaining, it must make it very challenging to manage. I hope you have good support from the diabetic team.
I don't know what good support looks like. He has been going into hospital every two or three weeks recently - not planned, and after a week, they "fix him". Then, they suddenly tell him he can go home. Then what do they do? Refuse him lunch and send him to the discharge ward for the next six hours or so while we wait for the medications. Then, due to a hypo, they have to "fix him" again. He can ring the Diabetic Nurses team any time (within hours) but since Covid, I don't think we have such a knowledgeable team. Perhaps we are getting good support; nothing to compare it with.

Used to quite like a tin of Heinz tomato soup with a couple of slices of bread for a light winter lunch. That kinda stopped pronto when I realised it contained nearly 6 teaspoons of sugar!
Three hours after that lunch, he has plunged to 3.6. A jam sandwich and a sugary cup of tea and he is now able to get upstairs for his bath at 17.24. My partner is getting very high and low swings, due to his pancreas having withered and there is now a cyst to fill the space. We have to wait a few months to see if it has grown, which might indicate a tumour rather than a cyst. Operating at this stage would be very complicated and dangerous, so waiting
It is normal, any energetic movement (dog bath), increase in stress (sheep poo) will release glucose and raise levels in any person. I cant see a mention of fasting either???
Harbottle was the first to mention fasting.

@Johnsgirl - does John use a Libre or other CGM and if not, WHY not? I think you'd both find it useful since the alarms would tell you that his level is heading too far downwards, or upwards, whenever they do, before they get to dangerous levels.

@Johnsgirl - does John use a Libre or other CGM and if not, WHY not? I think you'd both find it useful since the alarms would tell you that his level is heading too far downwards, or upwards, whenever they do, before they get to dangerous levels.
John uses the Libre2. There are no alarms. We sat up until the early hours last night and the BG wouldn't budge beyond 3 point something. Then this morning I checked him while he was asleep and it was 16 so that was good enough and would probably fall by the time he got to eat breakfast. He's not saying much and I don't want to poke the bear.

John uses the Libre2. There are no alarms. We sat up until the early hours last night and the BG wouldn't budge beyond 3 point something. Then this morning I checked him while he was asleep and it was 16 so that was good enough and would probably fall by the time he got to eat breakfast. He's not saying much and I don't want to poke the bear.
Libre 2 has high and low alarms so I wonder if they are currently turned off. Are you using a phone or reader to get his levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back