Anyone going up!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathy s

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Is my blood sugar level.meant to go up when hungry before eating! I had a late breakfast and took dog for a walk. I tested when I was back in an all ok. Dog needed bath ( little incident with sheep) then needed to feed here. Put our roast in oven, just before acting I rested again and I'd gone up over 1.5! Should this happen?

Perfectly normal, the liver acts as a store for glucose for when your not eating and will deposit glucose if and when you need it.

Not sure how it is for you, but the stress of a sheep incident and getting my dog through the bath could have easily bumped my BG up a bit.

Plus, of course, you could have checked the same droplet of blood with 2 different strips, and might have seen the same variation in results. Remember that as useful as BG monitors are, there is still an allowable margin for error under the ISO guidelines they have to meet:

1696193898159.png

I'm not overly worried, I've been fairly well controlled for me despite me finally trying wholemeal pasta and my home made sauce last night!!( no spikes) to clarify the sheep were safely behind a fence but had been free roaming/ grazing recently, they had left behind a rather amazing amount of mess which turned bellas legs green!!
Just interesting as I, probably wrongly, thought the longer in between meals the lower I'd go!

Perfectly normal, the liver acts as a store for glucose for when your not eating and will deposit glucose if and when you need it.

It's not 'normal' to see a rise when fasting. The background glucose generated by the liver is dealt with swiftly by a small rise in insulin. In non-diabetics levels should fall the longer fasting takes place (By a fairly small amount every hour) For T2s insulin resistance/broken signalling means the liver produces too much via gluconeogenesis or doesn't stop when it needs to.

As has been pointed out, though, the before and after readings may mean the real level was somewhere between the two and both results are effectively the same.

Also, a late breakfast? How long was the second test after breakfast? It may well still be being processed - I certainly can sometimes see the effects of a meal 3 hours after eating, based on its composition - and protein can cause a second rise of blood sugar a few hours after a meal.

If things were OK after eating pasta, I wouldn't worry too much. 🙂

It's not 'normal' to see a rise when fasting. The background glucose generated by the liver is dealt with swiftly by a small rise in insulin. In non-diabetics levels should fall the longer fasting takes place (By a fairly small amount every hour) For T2s insulin resistance/broken signalling means the liver produces too much via gluconeogenesis or doesn't stop when it needs to.

As has been pointed out, though, the before and after readings may mean the real level was somewhere between the two and both results are effectively the same.

Also, a late breakfast? How long was the second test after breakfast? It may well still be being processed - I certainly can sometimes see the effects of a meal 3 hours after eating, based on its composition - and protein can cause a second rise of blood sugar a few hours after a meal.

It is normal, any energetic movement (dog bath), increase in stress (sheep poo) will release glucose and raise levels in any person. I cant see a mention of fasting either???

It is normal, any energetic movement (dog bath), increase in stress (sheep poo) will release glucose and raise levels in any person. I cant see a mention of fasting either???

Resting before putting on the tea... which I assume was a fasting period.

Any rise due to exercise would come down fairly quickly in a non-diabetic, especially when resting, and the rise is fairly small. And to cause rise it has to be extremely intensive, not far from the peak VO2 max, sustained for a period of time.

Between going to bed and having breakfast is regarded as fasting (unless you have a night-time snack). So delaying breakfast lengthens the "fast". That's why it's called break-fast!

Sleeping at night is fasting.

Today, a tinned soup and bread for lunch resulted in a rise from 6 to 7 an hour or so later. Another day it could be different.

Is my blood sugar level.meant to go up when hungry before eating! I had a late breakfast and took dog for a walk. I tested when I was back in an all ok. Dog needed bath ( little incident with sheep) then needed to feed here. Put our roast in oven, just before acting I rested again and I'd gone up over 1.5! Should this happen?
I've noticed if I go for a hard run my blood sugar goes up. Apparently, quite normal. The liver releases sugar into the blood for energy if it feels you need it to maintain energy levels.

Today, a tinned soup and bread for lunch resulted in a rise from 6 to 7 an hour or so later. Another day it could be different.
Used to quite like a tin of Heinz tomato soup with a couple of slices of bread for a light winter lunch. That kinda stopped pronto when I realised it contained nearly 6 teaspoons of sugar!

Between going to bed and having breakfast is regarded as fasting (unless you have a night-time snack). So delaying breakfast lengthens the "fast". That's why it's called break-fast!
Sleeping at night is fasting
So about 12 hours then? nobody said they didnt eat for 12 hours or overnight stop twisting things. The rise is minimal at 1.5 its nothing to worry about.

Resting before putting on the tea... which I assume was a fasting period.

Any rise due to exercise would come down fairly quickly in a non-diabetic, especially when resting, and the rise is fairly small. And to cause rise it has to be extremely intensive, not far from the peak VO2 max, sustained for a period of time.
The rise is 1.5 again perfectly acceptable in any person. Like was said it is so small it could even be BG monitor error. Now your talking about VO₂ max, whats next anearobic dog walking? A small rise out of the blue is perfectly normal.

So about 12 hours then? nobody said they didnt eat for 12 hours or overnight stop twisting things. The rise is minimal at 1.5 its nothing to worry about.
Not twisting anything. Calling it a fast is the generally accepted and correct terminology. It is not unusual not to eat for 12 hours if you are asleep, wake up late, are not hungry and then you eat breakfast. It doesn't always mean a Ramadan fast.

Used to quite like a tin of Heinz tomato soup with a couple of slices of bread for a light winter lunch. That kinda stopped pronto when I realised it contained nearly 6 teaspoons of sugar!
And that is just the carb content of the 2 slices of bread without looking at the carb content of the soup!

Three hours after that lunch, he has plunged to 3.6. A jam sandwich and a sugary cup of tea and he is now able to get upstairs for his bath at 17.24. My partner is getting very high and low swings, due to his pancreas having withered and there is now a cyst to fill the space. We have to wait a few months to see if it has grown, which might indicate a tumour rather than a cyst. Operating at this stage would be very complicated and dangerous, so waiting is the best option until we know more.

Wow! 6 tsps! That is a lot. Sugar is added to a lot of foods but I think that anything containing tomatoes seems bound to have it. I must have a look at our present cans. Though, of course, if he's having a hypo, 6 tsps would bring him round quickly - and there's the sugar in the bread as well. Definitely not good for those who have been told to avoid sugar. John injects according to the amount of carbs/sugars in a meal.

Wow! 6 tsps! That is a lot. Sugar is added to a lot of foods but I think that anything containing tomatoes seems bound to have it. I must have a look at our present cans. Though, of course, if he's having a hypo, 6 tsps would bring him round quickly - and there's the sugar in the bread as well. Definitely not good for those who have been told to avoid sugar. John injects according to the amount of carbs/sugars in a meal.
So that's 12 tsps all together. I wonder how many BG points that would equate to.

But that shouldn't be an issue as long as the carbs are being counted in order to get the correct insulin dose.
It sounds as if he may be having too much insulin for the carbs if he is having hypos.
Does he/you know the rules for dealing with hypos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back