Any suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwynn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well, it has taken me a year to get around to looking at substituting the skimmed milk in my tea and cofee for something less carby.

This morning I tried double cream....

The coffee with double cream was really nice.

The tea, however, was pretty horrible.

So has anyone got any suggestions as to what I could shive into tea that has less carbs than skimmed milk and would make tea taste ok?

Double cream diluted with water?

I just use full fat milk ie blue top in tea and cream in coffee.

Unless you're having very milky tea and/or drinking many cups a day, there really isn't much difference.

According to Nutracheck, 30 ml gives you
Skimmed - 1.4g carb
Semi-Skimmed - 1.5g
Whole - 1.4g

A slice of lemon. Or a flavoured green tea and drink it without milk. If you like the flavour.
OH hates the taste of milk in tea, and isn’t very keen on tea full stop, so drinks green tea with lemon (stuff that comes with the lemon already infused into the teabag, I mean)
I couldn’t give up my traditional cuppas, but I only put the smallest dash of milk in, to take the edge off the tannin, and the tiny amount doesn’t affect my blood glucose at all.
Bearing in mind low carb is not the same as carb free, I think that including the carbs that are important to you is as valid as cutting out the ones that you don’t care so much about.

The unsweetened version of Koko coconut milk is very low carb and doesn’t have a coconutty taste. It’s 0.3g carbs per 100ml.

Alternatively, you could train yourself to enjoy tea black. Once you get used to it, it’s nice.

The difference between skimmed, semi skimmed is minimal for the amount you put in tea so I would just have what you prefer, I'm sure you could save any minimal difference in carbs in something else.

Thanks everyone.

When I lived in Germany, the staff kitchen only had condensed milk. You may want to try this but, based on my experience, I would not.
With no other choice, I started drinking my tea black. At first it was bitter but now it is the only way I can drink tea.

In short - try it black. You may get used to it. I did.

Just enjoying a cup of black tea, drink a lot of it so would rather save the Carbs for else where. will have to try the Koko coconut milk.

I'm just about with everybody on this one! In terms of carb intake you are down amongst the errors so it don't matter much which you use but if you really want to do something start exploring the real world of tea where it is mostly drunk without milk.

PS. By real teas I don't mean the stuff usually put in teabags and infused with seemingly anything that has some sort of flavour. Some of the Japanese oolong teas are a bit of an acquired taste but Chinese stuff is interesting. Can't recommend anything, I grew out of that sort of thing quite a long time ago and now just go for the hot, brown and wet stuff.

PPS. The takeaway I used to frequent made their own chai and often treated me to a cup. Big pot of water on the stove top, chuck in tea, whatever spices you like and leave it stewing all day, drinking as wanted and topping up as necessary. In my shop I had a wood burning stove (yep, it was not the normal run of the mill shop) and in there I usually had chai on the go. Some customers used to come in for a warm and some chai.

I think I might give black tea a go first off.

Thanks. I will let you know how it goes even though it is hardly significant.

If that is nipot a success then I will try one of the chinese teas. No idea about those though.

I think I might give black tea a go first off.

Thanks. I will let you know how it goes even though it is hardly significant.

If that is nipot a success then I will try one of the chinese teas. No idea about those though.
Some diabetics prefer whole milk over skimmed because the fat content slows down the absorption of the carbs.

I think the key thing I have found about drinking black tea made using a 'normal' tea bag, is make it very weak to start with. If you make it at normal strength I find it unbearably bitter but watered down it is fine. Real teas are lovely and a totally different experience when you find one you like but for convenience a quick dip of a Yorkshire tea bag workso_O:D

@Gwynn... Just had a thought. Do you ever get into Preston? If so, the Tea House on Cannon Street does loads of different teas. When they started they only sold tea in their tea room but I think you can still go in for a cup of tea even though it has moved on with meals and coffee and stuff. They probably even sell milky tea now. They had lots to choose from and you can experiment to your hearts content! Google it.

Thanks for that. I will have a look when I ever get into Preston

@Docb I have always been a fan of Oolong Teas.
Obviously everyone has different tastes, but I think its superb!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I lived in Germany, the staff kitchen only had condensed milk. You may want to try this but, based on my experience, I would not.
With no other choice, I started drinking my tea black. At first it was bitter but now it is the only way I can drink tea.

In short - try it black. You may get used to it. I did.
LOL the Germans think we’re nuts for drinking milk in tea, especially when you have to explain that you don’t want cream or condensed milk but just normal milk! I finally worked out that you have to ask for black tea with fresh milk, “black” tea being what they call the stuff which most closely resembles whatever is in our tea bags, and then they still look at you as if you have two heads and ask if you wouldn’t prefer lemon in it instead!

I always drink tea of whatever brand or country of origin without milk. In fact, that's how manufacturers of tea employ tasters who only taste test without milk. The most awful example of milk in tea is someone I saw who ordered an Earl Grey tea and put milk in it, a fairly emetic flavour combination. I've no objection to putting lemon in tea, though I don't. Milk abolishes the true flavour of tea, as it does with coffee. And out of habit, I almost always use PG Extra Strong. Moaning about the bitterness is like moaning about the hops in a pint of bitter.

Except for a cappuccino, I always drink coffee without milk or cream. (Like Italians, I only drink a cappuccino in the morning). Incidentally, Nestle Coffeemate doesn't contain any carbs at all if you're bothered by black coffee.

I'm lucky to live in a county with soft water, and on the Isle of Mull it was equally soft, so I never have to use descalers in kettles, washing machines or dishwasher. But more importantly, it doesn't affect the flavour of the tea or coffee. If you live in a hard water area, you can try an experiment - fill a non chalked up kettle or pan with a bottled water, say, Highland spring, make a cup of tea, then do the same with tap water to taste the difference.

You could say I'm a snob - I wouldn't disagree, but I apply the same standards to the food I eat.

Nestle Coffeemate doesn't contain any carbs at all if you're bothered by black coffee.
I'm looking at my tin of Nestle Coffeemate and it contains 56.7g carbs per 100g of which11.9 are sugars, and the first ingredient listed is Glucose syrup, so I am not sure where you got your info.
Granted you don't use a great deal of it in a cup but I can't get away with using Coffee mate without insulin (which is why I just went to check the tin after your comment) whereas double cream has no impact on my levels and I don't need insulin for it. It is also much less processed than the long ingredients list on the Coffeemate tin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back