Any Libre users getting message from their GP about a possible switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sololite

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Just got this text from my GP and wondered if other Libre users had similar and know what is bring proposed.

I am very happy with Libre, the app and how my pens work with it and so slightly concerned about a switch. Should I be? Do I get a say?

The NHS are continually striving to achieve the best treatment for its patients. With this in mind, we are undertaking an audit on our Diabetes Monitoring Equipment.
The outcome of this audit will likely result in your Diabetes Monitoring Equipment being changed to a different brand. You should notice no effect on your treatment.

Just got this text from my GP and wondered if other Libre users had similar and know what is bring proposed.

I am very happy with Libre, the app and how my pens work with it and so slightly concerned about a switch. Should I be? Do I get a say?

The NHS are continually striving to achieve the best treatment for its patients. With this in mind, we are undertaking an audit on our Diabetes Monitoring Equipment.
The outcome of this audit will likely result in your Diabetes Monitoring Equipment being changed to a different brand. You should notice no effect on your treatment.
I'd guess it's about finger prick tests rather than Libre. Prof Kar is proud that everywhere in England there's a choice of (at least) Libre 2 and Dexcom One and I think he'd be annoyed if that choice was removed.

It might be that your local group wants to move everyone to Dexcom for their convenience (so everyone's on Dexcom One or Dexcom G6/G7) which I can imagine might be a benefit to them (and to you, if you're offered a G6 or G7, or if your team looks at your data). Doesn't seem that likely, though.

Yes! I had a letter from my surgery in October inviting me to a “group session with a company rep” - the intention was to train us and switch us to a different device. I told them I couldn’t attend. I then had a phone call from an exasperated manager who was trying to rearrange the session, but it was half term and I wasn’t going to change my plans...so that was that. I asked which device we were being switched to - she didn’t know! Watch this space...

While Dexcom One is in a similar cost bracket for the NHS as Libre 2, there are some differences. So if your GP is intending to change your CGM do some homework and establish if Dex One will suit you. Otherwise I would be prepared to say no to having a different CGM imposed on me.

Left field option could be that now the Sibionics device is CE approved & the apps authorised for the app stores, they're looking for a piece of the NHS pie.
Feels too soon for that. I wouldn't expect the NHS to want to move something they have (presumably) so little experience with. My bet's still on Dexcom: I can see an advantage there, though less of one if some HCLs will be using Libre 3 (or Libre 2) which might be the case (I don't think we know yet).

I read a lot about adhesive allergy problems with Dexcom which I have never had with Libre even though I am allergic to some plasters. Anyone any view or experience?

Anyone any view or experience?
I've been fine with Libre (and now Libre 2) so I've not tried Dexcom. From what I've heard, some people who didn't get on with Libre find Dexcom works much better for them (and vice versa). I'm not sure whether Dexcom's glue is generally better tolerated (though it would make sense: Dexcom has been the leader for a while so I'd hope they'd have worked to make their glue as good as they can).

I find the dexcom less sticky than libre, but you get an overpatch so never had trouble keeping my dex 6 on...plus, it only lasts 10 days so doesn't have to stay on so long

While Dexcom One is in a similar cost bracket for the NHS as Libre 2, there are some differences. So if your GP is intending to change your CGM do some homework and establish if Dex One will suit you. Otherwise I would be prepared to say no to having a different CGM imposed on me.
One very important difference is that the Dexcom app is supported on far less phones. If your phone is not supported, the app will not install.
This could be a problem for quite a few people if they have older phones.

(@Proud to be erratic just realized it looks as if I am replying to you. I meant more to add more to your comment for others' info)

But you can use an unofficial app, if you are confortable doing this (i've ve done so for about a year with no issues) or use the reader

But you can use an unofficial app, if you are confortable doing this (i've ve done so for about a year with no issues) or use the reader
It doesn’t matter whether you are comfortable doing this. The NHS should not be forcing us to use unofficial tools which they could be doing if they change some people with unsupported phones to Dexcom.
Or it would be false economy if the NHS had to fund readers because the Dexcom worked out cheaper than Libre.

I like the idea of choice and thought that is what NICE recommends. Unfortunately, it is not always the case.

My thoughts is they mean your blood glucose meter. What brand are you currently using? (Saving money on the strips.)

It doesn’t matter whether you are comfortable doing this. The NHS should not be forcing us to use unofficial tools which they could be doing if they change some people with unsupported phones to Dexcom.
Or it would be false economy if the NHS had to fund readers because the Dexcom worked out cheaper than Libre.

I like the idea of choice and thought that is what NICE recommends. Unfortunately, it is not always the case.
I agree

I also agree.
My thoughts is they mean your blood glucose meter. What brand are you currently using? (Saving money on the strips.)
But thinking further I suspect @Satan's little helper is more likely to be hitting the right target: BG meters and strips rather than CGM. No doubt all will become clear in due course.

These catch-all changes have historically been about fingerstick meters. Like @Bruce Stephens I’d be a little surprised if this related to CGM yet, as they all seem much of a muchness price-wise at the moment.

Let us know what you find out @sololite - and if there is simething soecific about your current device that suits you and makes it more appropriate, dont be afraid to let them know that the suggested replacement is not right for you.

Good point. I had to get a new phone with NFC to make the app work . Would rather not go that again
One very important difference is that the Dexcom app is supported on far less phones. If your phone is not supported, the app will not install.
This could be a problem for quite a few people if they have older phones.

(@Proud to be erratic just realized it looks as if I am replying to you. I meant more to add more to your comment for others' info)

These catch-all changes have historically been about fingerstick meters. Like @Bruce Stephens I’d be a little surprised if this related to CGM yet, as they all seem much of a muchness price-wise at the moment.

Let us know what you find out @sololite - and if there is simething soecific about your current device that suits you and makes it more appropriate, dont be afraid to let them know that the suggested replacement is not right for you.
Maybe I jumped the gun thinking it was libre as I don't use tin strips anymore. I will see what GP says and feed back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back