Anti Shingles jab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turning 65 is quite a phrase. I, apparently, don't qualify even though I am 66
I have just turned 70, and am having mine next week. They did not allow retrospective for my age group when reducing the eligibility.

I am not eligible for an anti shingles jab.Too young. But I don't want to end up with wretched shingles. I suspect I will have to go private, or am I over reacting?
No, you're not overreacting but having vaccines is a very personal thing. I had shingles in 2020, just as COVID lockdowns started (oh such a joyous time) and finished up having nine weeks off work with post hepatic neuralgia. I was totally misdiagnosed initially by my GP so missed the opportunity for anti-virals.

My pain and rash were down my radial nerve in my right arm and neck and I can truly say, hand on heart, it is without question the absolute worse pain I have EVER experienced in my life and I have suffered with extreme migraines most of my life so I know all about pain 😉

I don't qualify for the free vaccine but you can pay for a private prescription. It's more than a normal prescription but I can't remember how much it is. I said I was going to have the vaccine but changed my mind after hearing a couple of horror stories about the side effects from the vaccine. I figure I'm more clued up about shingles now and would go to the GP earlier and insist on anti-virals much earlier!

I’m not yet eligible. I have to gracefully age a bit more.

I have had all the usual childhood vaccinations, and relevant boosters, but have also had measles, mumps, rubella twice, chickenpox and to date, All were in childhood, aside from one episode of rubella and the Shingles 3 times.

Shingles is horrid and it has been on the same side of my face, involving my eye each time. Due to that eye involvement, the medics are always keen I have antivirals.

My belief is that the shingles jab is given to the over 70s only as they are the ones most likely to suffer the most and be the most seriously ill from it. My Mom had it and she felt miserable but it did not cause any other harm. A friend of mine has had it 7 times. I had mine this year as I am eligible now but I would not have jabs unless GP recommended them. It the same with medication. If GP thought I needed meds for a condition or statins because my cholesterol was too high I would not object. I would object to being told though that I need statins because "I am over 50."

Everyone has to make their own minds up. I assume there is a way to get it privately but not sure. My hubby wanted to pay for a Covid jab this year and there was no provision. He was classed as too young this time. He wanted it because he is in regularly contact with two people over 90 but he could not get it.

I should point out that I had no reaction to the vaccine. There will always be someone who will have a bad reaction to a vaccine or medication but the majority should be fine.

I assume there is a way to get it privately but not sure.
I believe so. (Even if not, the chickenpox vaccine is available privately and they're basically the same thing.)
My hubby wanted to pay for a Covid jab this year and there was no provision.
Yes, that's an exception. I'm pretty sure they will be available to buy, but I don't think it's happened yet.
He wanted it because he is in regularly contact with two people over 90 but he could not get it.
If he'd asked at the right time I think it's likely he could have blagged a dose on that basis (I think everyone knew there'd be lots of wasted doses), but it's not at all a sensible way to run a vaccination program.

I believe so. (Even if not, the chickenpox vaccine is available privately and they're basically the same thing.)

Yes, that's an exception. I'm pretty sure they will be available to buy, but I don't think it's happened yet.

If he'd asked at the right time I think it's likely he could have blagged a dose on that basis (I think everyone knew there'd be lots of wasted doses), but it's not at all a sensible way to run a vaccination program.
You are probably right.

My belief is that the shingles jab is given to the over 70s only as they are the ones most likely to suffer the most and be the most seriously ill from it. My Mom had it and she felt miserable but it did not cause any other harm. A friend of mine has had it 7 times. I had mine this year as I am eligible now but I would not have jabs unless GP recommended them. It the same with medication. If GP thought I needed meds for a condition or statins because my cholesterol was too high I would not object. I would object to being told though that I need statins because "I am over 50."

Everyone has to make their own minds up. I assume there is a way to get it privately but not sure. My hubby wanted to pay for a Covid jab this year and there was no provision. He was classed as too young this time. He wanted it because he is in regularly contact with two people over 90 but he could not get it.
They have in the last 6 months reduced the age for the Shingles vaccine. Reduced to 65.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back