Anti Shingles jab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am not eligible for an anti shingles jab.Too young. But I don't want to end up with wretched shingles. I suspect I will have to go private, or am I over reacting?

I think it is up to you.
We are all at a risk of getting shingles regardless of any other medical conditions such as diabetes.
My father had it a few years ago and apart from old age, he is pretty healthy. It was uncomfortable but that was all.
I had it just after covid. Again it was uncomfortable but not that bad that I missed any work. It did not affect my diabetes.
Both of us caught it early and were treated within 48 hours of the rash coming out.

I wouldn't want it again but there are far worse things to get.

I'm in the same boat, until my CKD was confirmed I also could not get a flu / covid jab.

My solution was to get in the habit of doing shopping when working adults would mostly be at work, and children would be in school, or when they would already have been taken home (allowing for shopping on the way home). I figured that was the best way to dodge some infectious people.

I don't know if a shingles jab is available privately or not. If you find out please post as it is one I would consider.

As I understand it Shingles itself isn't a contagious illness and you can't catch it from someone, but someone with Shingles can give someone chickenpox if they've never had chickenpox. I often wonder whether I should have had the jab when it was offered. I had chickenpox when I was a child (and measles, and German measles - almost a rite of passage back then).

Yes, that’s what I thought too @Martin.A Here’s the NHS info:

Stay away from certain groups of people if you have shingles

You cannot spread shingles to others. But people could catch chickenpox from you if they have not had chickenpox before or have not had the chickenpox vaccine.

This is because shingles is caused by the chickenpox virus.

Try to avoid:

• anyone who is pregnant and has not had chickenpox before
  • people with a weakened immune system – like someone having chemotherapy
  • babies less than 1 month old

I was thinking about having it but i always seam to have a bad reaction with flu jabs and covid and i am still undecided to be honest

I was thinking about having it but i always seam to have a bad reaction with flu jabs and covid and i am still undecided to be honest
I still can't decide either, but I have another 4 years to make up my mind......

Last edited:
I gave up flu jabs after the first three as my reaction got worse each time and I was unwell for four weeks after the last one. I was unwell for five days after the pneumonia one last year so have refused the shingles one. My mouther had it after going into care at 81 (she had Parkinsons badly) and as others have commented found it uncomfortable but nothing more..

I’ve recently had the Shingrix (non live shingles vaccine) because I’m immunocompromised from blood cancer. Apart from a very sore arm, I didn’t suffer side effects. Shingles can be absolutely evil especially if it’s followed by months or years of Post-herpetic neuralgia. 1 in 5 people are left with that and the pain is one of the worse you can have. I’d advise everyone to have the vaccine if the opportunity arises. Shingles is not always minor, can affect the eyes and I know of people who have been left with indescribable pain.

I think shingles isn't much fun so when I reach the appropriate age I'll definitely take the vaccine. Like most of us, I had chickenpox as a child so am vulnerable to getting shingles. (As I understand it people who had the vaccine as a child and so avoided chickenpox aren't vulnerable to getting shingles: it only happens to people who've had chickenpox.)

(One of the reasons we don't (for the moment) vaccinate children for chickenpox is the theory that they keep chickenpox around thus maintaining adult immune response against it (reducing the risk of shingles). So children suffer to protect adults (they're not just getting chickenpox, but by doing that they become vulnerable to get shingles later in life), which was always a rather unethical reason even if it worked (which is doubtful).)

I think shingles isn't much fun so when I reach the appropriate age I'll definitely take the vaccine. Like most of us, I had chickenpox as a child so am vulnerable to getting shingles. (As I understand it people who had the vaccine as a child and so avoided chickenpox aren't vulnerable to getting shingles: it only happens to people who've had chickenpox.)

(One of the reasons we don't (for the moment) vaccinate children for chickenpox is the theory that they keep chickenpox around thus maintaining adult immune response against it (reducing the risk of shingles). So children suffer to protect adults (they're not just getting chickenpox, but by doing that they become vulnerable to get shingles later in life), which was always a rather unethical reason even if it worked (which is doubtful).)
Certainly in my day there was no chickenpox vaccine in the UK but my son-in-law from Pakistan had the vaccine as a child but got chickenpox when the children had it here in the uk.
Shingles can be horrendous in elderly people, my grandma in her late eighties nearly died as it went all over her head, she was hospitalised and never managed to live independently afterwards. So yes I had the vaccine.

I actually dodged chickenpox as a child (tho others in my street/school got it).
I managed to catch chickenpox as an adult, and was rough as heck with it.

I actually dodged chickenpox as a child (tho others in my street/school got it).
I managed to catch chickenpox as an adult, and was rough as heck with it.
Yes, I think chickenpox can be really nasty as an adult. Which is why there were sometimes chickenpox parties (though I've no idea how common they were). Vaccination's way safer, obviously, now that we have a good vaccine.

Yes, my delightful children gave me chickenpox when I was 37. It was awful. Spots from the top of my head to the soles of my feet, and everywhere in between. And I mean everywhere!
Don't quite qualify for shingles vaccination but very nearly. I will definitely have it. Never had any bother with any vaccines.

I’m going to roll my sleeve up and happily let them give the vaccine when I’m eligible.

I had chickenpox at 29, what a nightmare! I have since had shingles five times! Horrid the first time but after that I caught it early and anti viral medication sorted it within a week. Since I retired I haven't had shingles. How old do you have to be?

Yes, my delightful children gave me chickenpox when I was 37. It was awful. Spots from the top of my head to the soles of my feet, and everywhere in between. And I mean everywhere!
Don't quite qualify for shingles vaccination but very nearly. I will definitely have it. Never had any bother with any vaccines.
Why don’t you qualify? All 70-79 yr olds qualify, plus those turning 65.
I fall into the gap, at 68, having turned 65 before they brought it in for 65 yr olds, so have to wait til I’m 70 now.

Turning 65 is quite a phrase. I, apparently, don't qualify even though I am 66

I had chickenpox at 29, what a nightmare! I have since had shingles five times! Horrid the first time but after that I caught it early and anti viral medication sorted it within a week. Since I retired I haven't had shingles. How old do you have to be?
Just turning 65, or between 70 and 79, see link in my previous post.(which I was putting up just as you posted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back