Another Newbie... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those blood glucose readings look great. Just keep a close eye on them in case they keep dropping to hypo levels. Have you got some hypo treatments ready in case they're needed?
Thanks @soupdragon ... keeping a vey close eye on them (probably paranoid being newly diagnosed - sometimes testing 6 times a day. I've got some tubes of Lift fast acting glucose chews in various places inc. the car, briefcase, bedroom, bathroom and downstairs. Hopefully they'll do the trick but I was relying on Amazon reviews when I bought them so keeping my fingers crossed they'll work.

The bit I'm really struggling with is my digestion at the minute having change diet so drastically. Have a few normal days then others when it feels like there's a barn dance going on in there.

On the good news front I'm a lot more 'with it' since my blood sugars have come down... a lot less Brain Fog. I've had 4 pre-ops during Covid and each one has seen a rise in my HbA1C (didn't find this out until the HbA1C had hit 90 on my latest pre-op from 44 previously and 32 the one before that - which kicked in the diagnosis).

I had a really bad cold with chest infection and have heard that can affect blood sugars and kick in Diabetes but I don't know if there's any truth in this or whether I'm searching for answers that don't include only having 1/4 of a pancreas left.

Welcome to the forum @Prolaf

Sorry to hear about the damage to your pancreas.

@eggyg is probably our most prolific type 3c poster, but we have several others, and various other ‘creonistas’ as @mikeyB used to say - including @Hepato-pancreato @martindt1606 @Proud to be erratic @stackingcups and @soupdragon

Hope the carb reduction and insulin help to balance your BGs in the coming weeks. Do be cautious about lowering your carbs while taking insulin though as the two do need to balance.

Do you need to take Creon?
Thanks for tagging helpful folks @everydayupsanddowns much appreciated! I didn't know what Creon was when you mentioned it but others have helped and I've done some digging. Will probably talk to the hospital team about it given my current digestive issues.
Thanks for the help! 🙂

Hi @eggyg I think we're under the same health authority.. Prof Canello did my original surgery - do you know if he's still working or do we all still get sent over to Newcastle?

Hi @eggyg I think we're under the same health authority.. Prof Canello did my original surgery - do you know if he's still working or do we all still get sent over to Newcastle?
Hi and welcome. Sorry I missed this thread, been on holiday and only got back Thursday.
I too had pseudo cysts caused by gallstones and pancreatitis. I had emergency gall bladder removal and pseudo cysts drained in my local hospital in Carlisle in 2001.can’t remember the name of my surgeon but it’s wasn’t Prof Canello.I wasn’t referred to The Freeman for another six years when it was discovered I possibly had a tumour after suffering another pancreatitis attack. Unfortunately it was a tumour, this was removed along with most of my pancreas and spleen in December 2007 by Prof Byron Jaques. I didn’t become diabetic until 2010 so in between the two ops I was just under my GP as normal. Even now as a Type 3c I haven’t ever seen a diabetic consultant or endocrinologist. I just get my annual reviews done by the DSN at my surgery. I’m under the local diabetes team and I see them once in a blue moon. I’ve haven’t been to the Freeman since 2008.
I’m not sure any of this is answering your question though! What further checks are you referring to? Elaine.

Thanks @soupdragon ... keeping a vey close eye on them (probably paranoid being newly diagnosed - sometimes testing 6 times a day. I've got some tubes of Lift fast acting glucose chews in various places inc. the car, briefcase, bedroom, bathroom and downstairs. Hopefully they'll do the trick but I was relying on Amazon reviews when I bought them so keeping my fingers crossed they'll work.

The bit I'm really struggling with is my digestion at the minute having change diet so drastically. Have a few normal days then others when it feels like there's a barn dance going on in there.

On the good news front I'm a lot more 'with it' since my blood sugars have come down... a lot less Brain Fog. I've had 4 pre-ops during Covid and each one has seen a rise in my HbA1C (didn't find this out until the HbA1C had hit 90 on my latest pre-op from 44 previously and 32 the one before that - which kicked in the diagnosis).

I had a really bad cold with chest infection and have heard that can affect blood sugars and kick in Diabetes but I don't know if there's any truth in this or whether I'm searching for answers that don't include only having 1/4 of a pancreas left.
Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better @Prolaf .

Lifts are good as hypo treatments. Good that you're well stocked with them.

About the digestion - with little working pancreas you'd expect to be producing less digestive enzymes but it does seem to vary from person to person. I've been on Creon to replace the enzymes since the early stages of the pancreatitis.
Signs of pancreatic insufficiency (in terms of enzymes) are often weight loss and fatty/loose stools.
Might be useful to discuss with your team, perhaps after you have more information from the scan?

Illness can cause some big changes in blood sugar and quite a few Type 1s have been diagnosed after viral infections. I would have thought that not having much pancreas might also have quite a lot to do with your rise in HBA1c, though!

Sounds like you're doing really well.

Regarding things that can affect BG, @Olaf:

All stress is likely to elevate one's BG. How much will vary from person to person. Stress from medical problems is one significant source, as is emotional stress (try watching a horror movie wearing a CGM) and the worries and problems we perhaps more routinely call "stress".

When I'm coming down with a medical problem, I know (retrospectively!) from 24 to 48 hrs before I exhibit symptoms. My BG is very elevated, with no obvious explanation. This for me is a duel problem: I realise I have to increase my bolus doses (not my basal - which is Tresiba and takes 3 + days to respond to dose changes), but increase by how much? Bearing in mind I don't yet know that I have a medical problem; the increase could be for many other reasons and very temporary. Including: the weather; activity and exercise; dehydration; just misjudging the timings of bosul and food or misjudging the GI of what I've eaten!

But also when my BG is elevated, ie above 10, my natural resistance to insulin is increased. This, I understand, is normal for most insulin dependent diabetics. So I have to apply a correction factor to my bolus insulin, but I find that correction factor needs to increase depending on how high I am and (thanks to my CGM) whether it is still rising, if so at what rate, so where might it get to. If the correction bolus works it probably is not medical stress; but if it only briefly helps then the elevated BG continues, I start to wonder if I'm coming down with something.

42 factors have been identified which could affect BG; before 2018 there were only 20! The article came from Diatribe news by Adam Brown, "42 Factors That Affect Blood Glucose, October 2019". In one sense it sounds alarming and intimidating and to be fair it is a bit daunting. But knowing and understanding about these does keep a sense of perspective. I think I said earlier that Diabetes is complicated; but I think your pancreatitis is in itself complicated and probably equally unpredictable. The DM clearly is an additional problem.

Glad you are testing 4x daily; it's a balance between testing obsessively and burying your head in the sand. Before I got Libre 2, I was testing 10-12 x daily; but I was on bolus insulin, needing to drive and blatantly obviously from my logbook that my control was at first very poor. For me (absolutely no pancreas) I needed to "test, test, test" and that regime helped me get my HbA1c down, as well as reducing the frequent unexpected hypos. My GP initially arbitrarily restricted my test strips to 4x daily and I had to present a logical and polite rebuttal. My rationale beat the rationing. I have since seen recent NICE Guidance that clearly tells GP's not to restrict testing for insulin dependent diabetics - which makes complete sense; but my GP didn't appreciate that T3c was T1 with extra problems (nor did my DSN!). I rarely check my ketones, only if above 15 and for a lengthy period. But I have a high carb diet.

Hope this continues to help and not cause you further alarm.

Hi and welcome. Sorry I missed this thread, been on holiday and only got back Thursday.
I too had pseudo cysts caused by gallstones and pancreatitis. I had emergency gall bladder removal and pseudo cysts drained in my local hospital in Carlisle in 2001.can’t remember the name of my surgeon but it’s wasn’t Prof Canello.I wasn’t referred to The Freeman for another six years when it was discovered I possibly had a tumour after suffering another pancreatitis attack. Unfortunately it was a tumour, this was removed along with most of my pancreas and spleen in December 2007 by Prof Byron Jaques. I didn’t become diabetic until 2010 so in between the two ops I was just under my GP as normal. Even now as a Type 3c I haven’t ever seen a diabetic consultant or endocrinologist. I just get my annual reviews done by the DSN at my surgery. I’m under the local diabetes team and I see them once in a blue moon. I’ve haven’t been to the Freeman since 2008.
I’m not sure any of this is answering your question though! What further checks are you referring to? Elaine.
Thanks Elaine - hope you had a great holiday! 🙂
I was just wondering what the care was like in Cumbria for someone like you with complicated issues with pancreatitis, surgery and ongoing support. I live on the west coast of Cumbria and had a harrowing trip first to Carlisle (pancreatitis and a 40 mile trip in the back of an ambulance was an experience!) and then transferred to care under the Freeman about 5/6 years ago. Carlisle took one look at my pseudocyst and, other than put me on a drip and stuff me full of antibiotics, pretty much left it at that. Ultimately the pseudocyst which looked like a grapefruit sized raspberry was left to drain on it's own by the Freeman - they just kept making sure that the necrotic tissue from the pancreas wasn't going bad in there. Since then it's been general support from the GP until my BG's went skywards and I ended up being diagnosed a few weeks ago.

I haven't really answered your final question - I suppose this has all come as a bit of a shock and I'm trying to map out other peoples experience, and yours in particular being more local, to find out what could be in store.

I'm waiting on a scan to see what's going on in there but it seems to be bouncing between the GP and the hospital team at the moment.

Glad you're not having to use the services regularly though - that's got to be a good sign!
Cheers
Olaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back