Another newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsClibby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good morning all - I hope you're all well.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at the beginning of lockdown, my GP has prescribed me with Metformin and to do some online research.

Due to constraints brought on by the virus they are not offering face to face appointments and I am on a list to be referred to my local diabetic team when things start to "normalise". This means I have no idea if what I'm doing is correct or working. I'm also becoming overwhelmed with all the information out there and where to start.

I should add I was also diagnosed with PCOS approx 4/5 years ago and really struggle with weight loss.

Is there anyone in the same boat as me? Can anyone help me with some suggestions?

Thank you 🙂

Welcome to the forum @MrsClibby

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, and sorry that the coronavirus chaos has meant you feel a bit cut adrift and haven’t had the support you need.

Diabetes is a serious condition, but it’s also one that can usually be managed well with a few changes and adaptations - it’s something that you can learn to live well with, and it shouldn’t stop you doing things you enjoy. It may take you some time to adapt and adjust to your new diagnosis, and some people find they go through a type of grieving process. It can feel a bit overwhelming, but we are here to help and support you.

Try not to be disheartened about your diabetes, many people on the forum later reflect that their diagnosis became a kind of catalyst which prompted them to make positive changes towards a healthier and more active life. Some look back and realise that they hadn’t. oticed how tired and run down they had been feeling, perhaps for years - and fond themselves feeling more full of energy, and also getting regular checks so that any health concerns are spotted earlier.

One of the biggest questions when newly diagnosed is often ‘what can I eat’ and while there are obvious things like cakes, biscuits, sweets and sugary drinks that you will be wanting to cut out straight away, you might be surprised how much *all* carbohydrate affects your BG levels, including rice, pasta, bread, pastry, grains, cereals and many fruits.

The really tricky thing is that blood glucose responses to various foods are highly individual, and it can be impossible to say which types and amounts of carbohydrate will ‘spike’ your BG without checking for yourself.

You can use a BG meter, taking a reading before and again 2hrs after eating, to see what the differences are, to identify any carbs that seem to be spiking BG (initially in a way the numbers themselves matter less than the differences between them). Once you can see how you respond to different meals you can begin experimenting with reducing amounts of carbs and trying different types (sometimes just having things at a different time of day makes a difference). Gradually tweaking and tailoring your menu to find one that suits your tastebuds, your waistline and your BG levels 🙂

If you are interested in this approach you may find test-review-adjust by Alan S a helpful framework.

If you need to self fund your BG meter, the most affordable meters members here have found are the SD Gluco Navii or the Spirit Tee2 which both have test strips at around £8 for 50

When it comes to managing your diabetes, it’s best to make changes to your menu and activity levels gradually - partly because they need to be sustainable long term, but also because very rapid and sudden changes to blood glucose levels are harder on the fine blood vessels, and changing things more gently will give your body time to adapt.

For a bit more background information about living with diabetes, the ‘useful links’ thread is a mine of helpful information - useful-links-for-people-new-to-diabetes

Members here frequently recommend Maggie Davey’s Letter and Gretchen Becker’s book, as very helpful starting points.

Good luck, and keep asking questions!

Good morning all - I hope you're all well.

I should add I was also diagnosed with PCOS approx 4/5 years ago and really struggle with weight loss.

Is there anyone in the same boat as me? Can anyone help me with some suggestions?

Thank you 🙂

Hello,

I was diagnosed with PCOS around twenty years ago and diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2019.

When I was diagnosed with PCOS I was prescribed Metformin as treatment because they said even back then that the way the body dealt with glucose had a lot to do with the way that the body also handled/got in a tangle with hormones. I took Metformin for quite a few years until I decided to stop for various reasons - I still had PCOS and it continued to affect me in various ways.

Since being diagnosed with diabetes I decided to tackle mine by going onto a low carb diet to start with and then moved on to a very low carb / high fat diet because it fitted with how I like to eat anyway and I am happy to say it worked for me.

I still have the hairy face problem (which upsets me most about PCOS) and my cycle has always been completely unreliable and problematic and I'm annoyed because I'll be 59 this year and I am still nowhere near the menopause I've been eagerly anticipating since my mid thirties!!

I have found the weight is coming off without me even bothering with calorie control since I started high fat very low carb (fewer than 20g carb a day and not paying any attention to fat intake and enjoying double cream, butter, fatty cuts of meat, cheese etc etc) not fast because I am not actually focussing on weight loss just concentrating on keeping my blood sugars down for most of the time - now and then I have a 'naughty' meal with carbs but usually when I do it is naughty as far as blood sugar levels are concerned but in my old days would have counted as a wonderful weight loss meal - e.g. a lettuce sandwich with real bread.

I've found it easier to control my diabetes using food changes alone since I changed the way I cook and the ingredients I use and I think I will eventually be at a healthy weight for the first time in decades by the end of this year. I've recently increased my activity level by using my exercise bike and a little pedal thing I can use while sitting in a chair and watching films and comedies.

There is a thread on here called What did you eat yesterday - which I find helpful as a place to help keep me on track and to give ideas about how to add new diabetes-friendly meals and ingredients into my new lifestyle.

Personally I've never enjoyed my food so much as I have since changing my habits and my non-diabetic husband is enjoying the new food too. I even sent my son the ingredients and instructions to make a keto chocolate birthday cake (he lives in Glasgow and we're in Wales) that takes three minutes in the microwave and tastes better than one I would have slaved hours over back in the days when I used wheat flour and sugar.

So it isn't bad news. If you are like me (and with PCOS and type 2 I think you probably are) you may well find that this could be the piece of the jigsaw you needed to get your health onto the track it needs to be and good times are ahead.

Hello @MrsClibby welcome to the forum.

Some great advice already given so I won`t elaborate any further, stay safe.

I won't add anything either, except to say ask any questions you may have, nothing is considered daft! - so welcome to the forum, @MrsClibby 🙂

Hi,
No personal experience of PCOS, but I have heard or many who 'cured it' the same way they did T2D.
That is either :
Low Carb (Higher) Fat way of eating. As advocated by Dr Davin Unwin (and American Diabetes Association CEO and Virta in the USA).
Fasting/Intermittent Fasting. As advocated by Dr Jason Fung and Megan Ramos.

Hello MrsClibby ...........This means I have no idea if what I'm doing is correct or working. I'm also becoming overwhelmed with all the information out there and where to start.

Welcome Maybe you could start with what it is that you are doing, are you checking your blood sugar levels?

If you don't know and have nothing to help you manage your diabetic issues I can't think what your Dr expects you to do?
I think I would be giving your problem back to the Dr after all that is what his day job is for.
I'm type one which means I inject insulin but it sounds from your comments that your Dr expects that taking a dose of Metformin is all you presently require.

Maybe on your next visit you could take a friend with you if only to compare notes after the consultation.

Good luck.

Hello and Welcome to the group. It is a nightmare not being able to see anyone face to face.

You will certainly find a lot of help here.

I came here when I went pre-diabetic about 3 years ago. Thankfully, I have managed to get my blood sugars back to normal, albeit the higher side, two years running. I changed over to a lower carb diet. I was eating far too much bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, sugary breakfast cereal and cut those out. I also cut out eating about 6 pieces of fruit a day to two a week, mainly a small apple or berries. I did not have problems giving up chocolates, biscuits, cakes, desserts as I did not eat them all the time anyway.

I found when I lowered the carbs I was less hungry. It did send me underweight but I am not too bad now. I hardly ever feel hungry these days.

As others have said it is important to test as we are all different. What suits one person does not suit another. I have recently bought the new upgraded test machine mentioned earlier in the thread. It came today so will start on it at the weekend.

Good luck. Have a luck at the recipes on here. they are very helpful.

There is a new book out called Diabetes and Weight Loss. They use a lot of fat but, if you are not comfortable with that, you could substitute. Michael Moseley's books are good too as is a book called "Reverse your Diabetes" by Dr David Cavan. He means keep better control, not literally reverse the condition.

It was easier for me as I was picked up at the pre-diabetic stage but hope you get on OK with all the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back