Another family member….

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m glad it was helpful @Pandy8 I’m pleased he’s speaking to his team soon. If he wants to ask about the insulin regime I referred to above (MDI/basal-bolus), here’s information from the NICE guidelines for Type 1 diagnosed in adults. Two insulins gives more flexibility although the idea of extra injections might not appeal, the pay-off - flexibility and better control - is worth it:

1.7 Insulin therapy​

Insulin regimens​

1.7.1 Offer multiple daily injection basal–bolus insulin regimens as the insulin injection regimen of choice for all adults with type 1 diabetes. Provide guidance on using this regimen. [2015]
1.7.2 Do not offer adults newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes non‑basal–bolus insulin regimens (that is, twice‑daily mixed, basal only or bolus only). [2015]

The NICE guidelines seem rather confusing to me but no doubt the professionals understand them! In any event, there is no chance he will do other than as discussed at the clinic. He has the novorapid already prescribed but has been told not to use yet. He’s going to email his numbers though on Monday to the nurse, I think, and I suppose they will take it from there. A friend who is a diabetes nurse told me they may increase the basal after 3-4 days as they go slowly at first, then gradually add in the bolus.

If he has the Novorapid already prescribed, then that’s good 🙂 I guess it depends on how they fit in ‘training’. Obviously he can’t and shouldn’t use it without learning how and knowing his bolus ratio. I spent a few days in hospital at diagnosis so was able to be shown everything then.

If he can get a half unit pen for the Novorapid, sometimes referred to as a ‘junior’ pen, that would be useful as it will not only allow him to have more precise doses, but also make it easier when correcting high sugars - ie he can take half a unit, or one and a half, etc rather than having to round up or round down to the nearest unit. I’ve had Type 1 many years and have a pump, but I do have back-up pens and still find my half unit pen useful even now.

That’s worth knowing, thank you. I suspect that as he is well they don’t want to admit him and put him at risk of catching something! There is obviously a lot to learn in terms of the counting carbs, but fortunately we did this for my son so are not complete novices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back