Another crazy lantus hypo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just started feeling ALL the old hypo symptoms - heart racing, sweating, light-headed, spots before the eyes, very shaky...checked BG and 2.9!!!! Came on very fast and has just got worse in the few minutes after that test.

It's about 50 minutes since my lantus injection and 5 hours since my evening meal novorapid. I was 7.1 before the lantus injection - how can I dip by 4.2 mmol/l in less than an hour after injecting SLOW-ACTING insulin???

Most annoying! It now means I have to stay up to make sure my levels recover before going to bed. Have consumed the mandatory 3 jelly babies and am now off to get a slice of peanut butter...😱

Oh no, hope you manage to get some sleep eventually! Have you been running today, could it be a delayed exercise hypo?

Good luck with slicing that peanut butter...

Aww, Poor Northerner. I'm glad I'm not Type 1, it's all so complicated!!

Hope you have a reasonable night, and feel better in the morning.

xx

Oh no, hope you manage to get some sleep eventually! Have you been running today, could it be a delayed exercise hypo?

Good luck with slicing that peanut butter...

It was very tasty - I decided to have it on some bread!

No run today or yesterday - just bloomin' lantus deciding to 'peak' again. I must have injected it into that vortex in the space time continuum just to the right of my navel, and it got bombarded with tachyon particles from my trans-dimensional spleen.

I'm rambling, aren't I...?😱🙂

I thought you meant peanut butter on a slice of toast, but it was a hypo typo.

Hope you feel better soon. Ive just finished doing some yoga and i'm dying 😉

I thought you meant peanut butter on a slice of toast, but it was a hypo typo.

Hope you feel better soon. Ive just finished doing some yoga and i'm dying 😉

It's deceptive isn't it? Are you using a dvd? I had a go on my exercise ball the other day and ended up screaming at the woman to 'get on with it!' whilse she was saying 'now just hold it there a little longer...'😱 Hope you don't suffer for it tomorrow!

I'm 6.1 now, so that's better. The only thing I can think is that somehow it got into my bloodstream, or didn't crystalise like it's supposed to.

It's deceptive isn't it? Are you using a dvd? I had a go on my exercise ball the other day and ended up screaming at the woman to 'get on with it!' whilse she was saying 'now just hold it there a little longer...'😱 Hope you don't suffer for it tomorrow!

I'm 6.1 now, so that's better. The only thing I can think is that somehow it got into my bloodstream, or didn't crystalise like it's supposed to.

Glad you are back up to normal. I guess there are a million reasons it could have happened, it's impossible to pinpoint it really 😱

Deceptive is one word for it lol. Before I switched to yoga I was doing an hour of 'Boxercise' which is high-impact and by the end I was eventually knackered. After 10 minutes of yoga i'm knackered (and far more sweaty 😛) - It's reeaaally good exercise. Yep it's a dvd, has five 10 minute sessions and I just did 2 and a half of them.

I think when you use a ball it's called pilates hehe, I bought a 'yogalates' dvd too, but haven't tried that one out yet 😉

hope u are okay this morning with you having all these hypos with lantus has really got me confused as my dsn said its was inpossiable to have a hypo while using lantus {good job half my family are in the medical profession} and told me otherwise

Last edited:
😱 hope you're ok now northe!! Lantus hypos are really horrible, mine tend to happen at 3am though thankfully very rarely!!!!!

Hope the slice of peanut butter was good 😉

Morning Northie, how are you this morning ? Hope you managed a good night's sleep.

Best wishes,

hope u are okay this morning with you having all these hypos with lantus has really got me confused as my dsn said its was inpossiable to have a hypo while using lantus {good job half my family are in the medical profession} and told me otherwise

It's very rare twinnie, not something you need to worry about. Obviously though it's not impossible as it's happened to me! I'd say it's happened about 3 or 4 times in about 450 injections. As I said earlier - it's NOT supposed to happen!

😱 hope you're ok now northe!! Lantus hypos are really horrible, mine tend to happen at 3am though thankfully very rarely!!!!!

Hope the slice of peanut butter was good 😉

It was yummy! The diabetes was messing with my mind as I fancied a snack before bed, but the meter said NO (7.1) - then it sent me hypo and forced me to have a snack just as I'd resigned myself to not having one!

Morning Northie, how are you this morning ? Hope you managed a good night's sleep.

Best wishes,

I'm fine thanks Faith. I actually woke to 7.3 this morning which is practically unheard of for me. Stupid diabetes!😡

I random went low at 3am :( before exercise I was 11 and after I was 7.6 and I had a feeling i'd be on my way down so check again 4.9 so I had a piece of toast with jam. 5.3, 6.7 then suddenly 2.9 an hour later :( It felt like a bad one too, so i over compensated and woke to 13.

Grrr all those calories, what a waste of exercise :(

I random went low at 3am :( before exercise I was 11 and after I was 7.6 and I had a feeling i'd be on my way down so check again 4.9 so I had a piece of toast with jam. 5.3, 6.7 then suddenly 2.9 an hour later :( It felt like a bad one too, so i over compensated and woke to 13.

Grrr all those calories, what a waste of exercise :(

Not a waste Katie - you'll have a better idea what to do next time🙂 Might be worth doing it a bit earlier in the day so you don't get caught out in your sleeptime.

Northener, was wondering if you have contemplated switching to levemir. I posted a while back that levemir is especially beneficial to those who are athletic as the dosage can be changed to suit, espeicially as taken twice a day.

This has happened to you a couple of times now and as you say not supposed to, if it were me i would definately be talking to my team re a solution.

Hope you feeling better today.

Northener, was wondering if you have contemplated switching to levemir. I posted a while back that levemir is especially beneficial to those who are athletic as the dosage can be changed to suit, espeicially as taken twice a day.

This has happened to you a couple of times now and as you say not supposed to, if it were me i would definately be talking to my team re a solution.

Thanks Tracey. I think I am reluctant to change as, on the whole, it is working very well - my levels are very steady and apart from these freak incidents I don't have any fear of night hypos (i.e. whilst I am asleep). I feel that changing to a different insulin would mean a lot of extra work trying to get things right again.

One possibility might be that my evening novorapid might have been patchy in its absorbtion, giving me some kind of extra surge at around 4 hours.

Thanks Tracey. I think I am reluctant to change as, on the whole, it is working very well - my levels are very steady and apart from these freak incidents I don't have any fear of night hypos (i.e. whilst I am asleep). I feel that changing to a different insulin would mean a lot of extra work trying to get things right again.

One possibility might be that my evening novorapid might have been patchy in its absorbtion, giving me some kind of extra surge at around 4 hours.

Absolutely your call Northener, and your a more than capable of sorting things, just a thought thats all. Like you say there is always a reason if you look hard enough. I find it particularly difficult to spot my own patterns, but others can tell me straight away what i need to change? 🙂

hope your cold goes soon, i think there is a lot of it about ath the mo :(

Have to say this is exactly what I thought Northerner... It's a bit freaky and scary for you when it happens, sounds like, AND is unusual generally. Levermir is supposed to have a flatter profile anyway?

Echo Tracey though: totally up to you of course!

Not a waste Katie - you'll have a better idea what to do next time🙂 Might be worth doing it a bit earlier in the day so you don't get caught out in your sleeptime.

yes true. I was supposed to do it earlier but we had dinner really late in the end, grr. Ive done today's session already so should be ok tonight.

my arms are now jelly 😉

yes true. I was supposed to do it earlier but we had dinner really late in the end, grr. Ive done today's session already so should be ok tonight.

my arms are now jelly 😉

My dear, if your arms are one day like Christine Bleakley's, it will all be worthwhile...😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back