Another Cholesterol thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

katie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm a bit confused...

I haven't had a fasting blood test for years, but ive still been given all my Cholesterol figures. I thought it had to be a fasting test?! Anyway, I was wondering whether anyone can tell me whether I need to improve my levels?

My Cholesterol is 4.8, is that a bit high? I know it's in range but i'd rather it was great.

The break down is:

HDL: 1.2
LDL: 3

Total Cholesterol: HDL Ratio: 4

My good Cholesterol is low and my bad is high, noo. Should I make some changes? I'm 23 and female btw 😉

My blood pressure was 142/81. They didn't mention anything about it, but i'm pretty sure that's bad isn't it?

Sorry, so many questions! I'm hoping a clever person on here can help me hehe.

Hi Katie, cholesterol is confusing to me too!! But I'd say be glad it is within range, and do the basics, more exercise, less cheese wine? Don't quote me on this.

Blood pressure, they will take a long time to tell you it is high, mine has been 150:90 to 122:85, and I always ask about it but they aren't bothered as they are looking at the bigger picture. I was a bit stressed last time I had it taken and nursey said as I was concerned to go to my GP once I was calmer!! The body should be able to cope with BP going up and down a bit, but mine's always been on the edge of a bit high they always assume I've been on the sauce the night before!! One day I will be popping pills for it I'm sure, but I guess there's no rush if I'm having it monitored a bit, a friend had levels of 220:notsure90? He was put on pills straight away! So I guess be glad you have regular check ups!

Just read your last line, hmm maybe I should delete this!!:D

I'm sure brains will come along soson and tell you the true picture!

Yeah Rossi, you're not quite the person I was hoping for...

😉 don't be silly, you have brains :D thanks for replying.

Yes that is one good thing about having diabetes, they keep an eye on you hehe. Mine has been in pre-hypertension for a few months now and im really not happy with it as high BP is worse than high sugar levels :( Not really surprising I guess because I haven't been very happy and stressed about some stuff. I'm hoping australia will cure me :D

Hehe...

Right. I got told about this at the DUK weekend I went on. Let's see if I can remember...

Blood pressure should be 130/80 or less. So that would make yours slightly higher than it should be.

Cholesterol should be below 4 mmol/l.
LDL should be below 2 mmol/l
HDL should be 1.2 mmol/l or more for a woman.

So... Yes, your LDL is slightly high, your HDL is on the borderline and cholesterol is also slightly high. (I didn't get my breakdown - I meant to ask but almost burst into tears when given my HbA1c and didn't quite recover enough to ask any of teh questions I wanted to know the answers to 🙄)

The advice I was given at the DUK weekend was basically to eat less saturated fat (burgers etc), eat more oily fish (which contains good fat - hence my oily fish drive a few months back 😛), eat more fruit and veg and do more exercise - exercise was the key point.

Hope that helps!

I don't think you can have the breakdown if not a fasting test as the results may be affected by food recently consumed, so maybe you were tested and they thought it was fasting, but it wasn't? That might account for the breakdown being not so good (just guessing!). As Munjeeta says, they like it to be below 4 total for diabetics and 5 for non-diabetics. My last one was 2.4 total! But I am on statins. I'm also on BP meds - mine tends to be about the same as yours but should be 130/80 or less. Alcohol has a huge effect on BP, pushing it up for several days after a session!

I wouldn't say your results are that bad.

My BP was around the same as yours when I was put on Ramipril, byt that was because I was showing signs of kidney disease (proteinurea) and was more to protect them.
As has been said, diet and exercise are the best solutions (if possible)

So... Yes, your LDL is slightly high, your HDL is on the borderline and cholesterol is also slightly high. (I didn't get my breakdown - I meant to ask but almost burst into tears when given my HbA1c and didn't quite recover enough to ask any of teh questions I wanted to know the answers to 🙄)

The advice I was given at the DUK weekend was basically to eat less saturated fat (burgers etc), eat more oily fish (which contains good fat - hence my oily fish drive a few months back ), eat more fruit and veg and do more exercise - exercise was the key point.

Hope that helps!

Thanks MJ. on the form it says cholesterol should be less than 5, but he hasnt mentioned it being a bit high because im diabetic 🙄 I dont eat much saturated fat so think I need to do more exercise :D Oh yeah, and eat oily fish (yuck!).

I don't think you can have the breakdown if not a fasting test as the results may be affected by food recently consumed, so maybe you were tested and they thought it was fasting, but it wasn't? That might account for the breakdown being not so good (just guessing!). As Munjeeta says, they like it to be below 4 total for diabetics and 5 for non-diabetics. My last one was 2.4 total! But I am on statins. I'm also on BP meds - mine tends to be about the same as yours but should be 130/80 or less. Alcohol has a huge effect on BP, pushing it up for several days after a session!

They always ask what time I last ate and they didn't tell me off for eating that morning. Ive seen cholesterol results before and I haven't had a fasting test for about 5yrs so im not sure how/why they are recording the results?! I will ask my doctor as I will have to go again soon, urgh!

Sorry northe, i'm not going to give up alcohol... 😛

Why do you still have to take statins when your cholesterol is low?

And there lies the answer, thank you Sir Alan of the North

I'm with Katie on this one!😛

Until doctors bully me!!😡

it's quite funny... at my appointment they asked if id fill out this survey for a woman who is doing research on alcohol and weight gain in diabetics... I agreed to do it and told the full truth about my alcohol consumption because I thought it was anonymous. When I went in to see the consultant my survey was there and I saw that there was a sticker on it with my name and address on it, grr! hehe :D now he knows all my sins!

it's quite funny... at my appointment they asked if id fill out this survey for a woman who is doing research on alcohol and weight gain in diabetics... I agreed to do it and told the full truth about my alcohol consumption because I thought it was anonymous. When I went in to see the consultant my survey was there and I saw that there was a sticker on it with my name and address on it, grr! hehe :D now he knows all my sins!

Hahahahaha Twin !!! always lie on surveys at the hospital , halve your alc consumption etc 😉😉

Hahahahaha Twin !!! always lie on surveys at the hospital , halve your alc consumption etc 😉

I usually do 😱😱 but since it was research for some woman I thought it would be anonymous!! Oh well, what can he do about it?! :D

Halving would be a start, whenever they ask me I say it depends, sometimes nothing, probably the average!!!

I remeber when I used to be down the boozer as a kid mum would ask how much I had I'd half it then she'd still act shocked!!!

I usually do 😱😱 but since it was research for some woman I thought it would be anonymous!! Oh well, what can he do about it?! :D

yeah too late to worry now .... he'll have a Bad Diabetic sticker on your file now Twin 😱
Halving would be a start, whenever they ask me I say it depends, sometimes nothing, probably the average!!!

I remeber when I used to be down the boozer as a kid mum would ask how much I had I'd half it then she'd still act shocked!!!

hahaha do you still lie to her now your grown up Ross ?

yeah too late to worry now .... he'll have a Bad Diabetic sticker on your file now Twin 😱

hahaha do you still lie to her now your grown up Ross ?

Thank you for saying I'm now grown up!! I've never told het the truth re booze, well I can never remember what I've had truth be told!!😛

yay im so happy! my BP has come down. I just checked an it's 118/72! wooo.

Thats amazing Katie well done you:D Don't celebrate too much now and slip into old habits😉

PS What did you do??

Thats amazing Katie well done you:D Don't celebrate too much now and slip into old habits😉

PS What did you do??

umm im not sure haha!

I had been really down for ages when my BP was high and now im alot happier. I think that is the main reason?! Havent been binge drinking, only getting drunk on about 3 drinks 😉 (lightweight!) and ive been exercising.

Alcohol has a huge effect on BP, pushing it up for several days after a session!

My BP is always a bit lower than normal - does that mean i can have extra?? 😉

My BP is always a bit lower than normal - does that mean i can have extra?? 😉

Probably! Unfortunately, mine is higher than normal at the moment - undoubtedly due to too muc alcohol!😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back