annoyed with diabates uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too am very disappointed in Diabetes UK.

I wrote to them with my story a long time ago and never even got the courtesy of an acknowledgement - never mind a reasoned reply.

In fact, I've come to the conclusion that they are only interested in people with diabetes as a source of very willing fund raisers to pay for what must be their very large wage and expenses bill.

Quite a lot like Members of Parliament as far as I am concerned.

I stopped paying my annual contribution earlier this year.

John

DUK have advertised locally for a fundraiser......... ?30K !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

😱 That's appalling! 😱

That means that the fundraiser has to raise 30k merely for them to 'break even'!!

It's good to be in the 'charity' business isn't it??

Andy

😱 That's appalling! 😱 That means that the fundraiser has to raise 30k merely for them to 'break even'!! It's good to be in the 'charity' business isn't it?? Andy

Sorry, but I need to say a word in defence of the 'charity business' here.
I've not seen the job in question but £30k for a senior fundraiser sounds pretty standard to me. The industry standard for fundraisers tends to be they raise around 8-10 times their salary.

And yes, it's great being involved with the charity sector, in the most part hugely rewarding. But no, not financially so, last assessments (April this year) found charity salaries to be between 20 and 25% below equivalent private sector roles. But despite that you won't find me changing sectors in a hurry!

(should say, I neither work for duk or in fundraising!)

As you know I've been volunteering with a local charity since I came home and I'm going for that job with the Red Cross on Monday. If money was an issue for me, I wouldn't choose to work for them, as the salary offered while better than basic won't make me rich. I want the job because it offers me a chance to use my skills in a worthwhile endeavour and exercise my social conscience.

My gripe with DUK is nothing to do with their fund raising efforts. The folk I was talking to weren't fundraisers, they were supposedly there to help people who were having difficulty finding their way through the medical maze. Instead of offering practical help to someone in need, they were more concerned with pressuring me to help them and I was in no fit state at the time. That's what I find hard to forgive.

i wasnt talking about the raising money thing.. i volunteer to... like most of us in some shape on here i think.. its all about the support that is needed from such a large organistion... and what i believe their focus should be... i dont mean to offend anyone... just make a stand...

Diabetes UK Info-Lite

There does seem to be a lot of waffle on their site.

More of a Diabetes Info-Lite.

I'd say that this information is too non-specific for anyone not newly diagnosed or who has got past the Wiki definition.

So I'd imagine that their Helpdesk is much like other helpdesks. Staffed by people who only have a slnder grasp of what they are talking about and with a tendency to read off prepared sheets.

As a newcomer, I don't yet use initials so what is this other site ...the JDRF???

There does seem to be a lot of waffle on their site.

More of a Diabetes Info-Lite.

I'd say that this information is too non-specific for anyone not newly diagnosed or who has got past the Wiki definition.

So I'd imagine that their Helpdesk is much like other helpdesks. Staffed by people who only have a slnder grasp of what they are talking about and with a tendency to read off prepared sheets.

As a newcomer, I don't yet use initials so what is this other site ...the JDRF???

Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation - their focus is entirely on type 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back