An open letter to Diabetes UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was diagnosed in 1996, I had the advantage of previous nurse training, which is where I picked up a lot of useful knowledge about how to manage several situations - and a desire to avoid going hypoglyacaemic and ending up in A&E, not because I'd seen bad practice there, but because I prefer not to be a patient!
However, in the years since then, things have got much easier, as nearly all packaged foods have full nutritional contents, whether per 100g or per portion, including carbohydrate. The Tasmanian pharmacist mother of a friend of mine send a photocopied page from an Australian pharmacy journal, which explained MDI, including ability to adapt doses according to CHO content of food, so I asked my clinic to change me from bimodal regime, after just a couple of awkward months, and managed the situation myself.
Although I managed fine, it's probably not ideal for most people 😉 so I support any attempt to get better training for people starting on insulin. As I've mentioned before, online course can help computer literate people where face to face training isn't possible. eg http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Just a quick update on this one...

I've had a very encouraging phone call from Zoe Harrison, Clinical Advisor (I think) at Diabetes UK who has ended up with my letter on her desk.

She was very supportive of it and mentioned all sorts of education materials/support they are trying to put in place next year to tackle this very issue.

I'll try to post an update on our blog over the next day or two.

Thanks to everyone here for their support 🙂

Mike

Fantastic, an excellent letter. I was told just today that had I not exercised such tight control over the years (as much as able - didn't always get it right) I would have been having problems a lot sooner. I was diagnosed 33 years ago and taught carb counting as routine. It's madness not to teach people.

Encouraging response from Diabetes UK

Just to update you on my soapbox moment on getting carb counting advice given as standard to all insulin users just like it used to be 20 odd years ago)...

I've had responses from DUK (very encouraging and supportive), my MP, the Dept of Health and NICE.

If you are interested in what they said I've posted an update here: The Carb Counting Black Hole

Excellent letter!! If you don't mind could i print it off and pass it round similar people up here? I think it might highlight to the professionals that are dealing with me and similar people in my situation. I've never ever been offered carb counting advice in the 6 years i've been diagnosed!! XxXxX

Please do! 🙂

I think there's a vague chance it might be getting printed in January's Balance. As far as I'm concerned the more DSNs that have it waved in front of them the better!

In that case consider it done!! I'll hand it in when i collect my prescription on Monday!! XxXxX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back