Ambulance Driving & Type 1 Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't feel victimised I just feel its backward to think idd's be discriminated against when there is not one jot of evidence to suggest they are anymore dangerous than anyone else.

There is not one jot of evidence, as only very recently have idd's been allowed to do sorts of things that weren't allowed before.
So, it may be backwards to you, but to me it's moving forward, in a structured way, and recognising mistakes of the past, but not by having a free for all in the future.

Would you trust every type 1 to be able to safely drive an ambulance?
I don't trust many non diabetics to even safety drive a car.

FYI its not about type one it's about idd and are you aware of the process an idd has to go through to get a full licence? Also the reason why the Dvla relaxed the rules is there was no evidence to suggest a well managed idd is anymore dangerous than any other driver. If you have any evidence at all I would love to see it.

The DVLA changed their guidance on Blue Light driving in Jan 2018. They confirmed that the same medical standards apply to drivers of emergency vehicles, as to anyone else. Whether an individual is safe to drive, is the responsibility of the employing authority to make a risk assessment, based on the individual (not based on assumptions of a medical condition, which could be deemed to be discriminatory).
In relation to insulin-dependent diabetes, this means taking into consideration bg levels, or whether someone has hypo awareness, to determine if that individual is fit to drive an emergency vehicle.

I'm not aware that an IDD has to go through any more onerous process to obtain a full driving licence than anyone else - we have to learn to drive then pass the driving test, then we get a full licence for 3 years. Every 3 years we have to complete a medical form. There are extra rules regarding BG testing before and during driving which don't apply to other people but neither are they onerous - they are simply prudent and look after me as much as they look after the other road users out and about whenever I choose to drive.

It's not as if we have to have an annual medical before our annually renewable licence may be renewed - unlike an HGV licence, and if nobody bothered to hold an HGV licence because of that - we'd all soon be short of everything that derives elsewhere than in walking distance of ourselves! Not many people grow eg 100% of their own food, or live in adobe huts they've fabricated and baked themselves …….

Idd's can only get a 1 year licence to drive anything over 3.5 tonne. You have to be cleared by three doctors and then you get a one year medical level 2 dl

Yes, and to bring it back to Ambulance driving, it is the responsibility of individual ambulance authorities to determine any higher standards and medical requirements over and above the group 1 or 2 licensing requirements.

Quite right Hannah but some trusts for example London allow paramedics to but not emergency ambulance crew therefore creating a defacto ban which is a big no no under the equality act. Diabetes.org did not want to get involved thus endorsing discrimination by firms like the las

Well nobody passing their driving test today can drive over 3.5 tonnes either whether they have diabetes or not. Then they have to study for and learn to pass the separate test - which us old uns never had to.

Rules change and they apply to different people in different ways. You automatically lose your entitlement to drive anything over 3.5 tonne on your 70th birthday whether you drive a courier van for a living delivering my pump supplies or a 3650kg motorhome for your leisure. As long as someone has checked to make sure you are still apparently capable of doing so I have no issue. That's all the medical checks are doing - being prudent.

However - There's still nothing stopping me leaping into our 3.5 tonne 7.16m long motorhome right now despite the fact I've never driven anything that big in my life, nor my driving our Antara towing a ruddy great caravan despite the fact I've never ever towed anything whatsoever since passing my test.

Some of the rules are still silly whatever you are licensed to drive!

Hey, how's this case going?
Apologies for being late, but I just joined in the forum and subject is personal to me.

I tried to get myself C-licence some years ago as I love driving and younger years was dreaming of becoming an ambulance driver.

There were couple of issues. I, myself, was then in my best condition with T1 and never had issues with driving. I, also take a pride with my driving skills, well aware of how hypo works, etc...
Apart from other issues, DVLA made my licence process very difficult. I did the medical licence on two years and both times took six months to sort out. And they were very p***y about it all. I got tired of the whole bullying and gave up.
But what I have understood, it is the DVLA itself, who (if they could) ban all the diabetics off the road and that the EU put pressure on them to allow diabetics to drive again. This was due to some big accident happened in 2012. Rules may have changed since then, I don't know.
But it is everywhere put as in a guideline that any driving professions aren't recommended or not suitable diabetics.
If I'd knew how difficult it would be, I wouldn't have rolled on the course. And gutted as I love driving.

But, on the other hand, I understand DVLA's stance on this. If not well controlled, it is a dangerous disease and lot's of people lie about their condition, as it seem to be easy to do that.

We in London, and quite a few trusts the ignorance is over! Policies are either in place or in the pipeline for some trusts. The DVLA removed the restriction some time ago and it was then left to individual trusts to discriminate! Hopefully in London too the end is nigh for this sort of discrimination. If an idd is not well controlled they would not be able to obtain a medical level 2 driving licence. It is quite a long process and initially you have to obtain at least 3 doctors and possibly a 4th being yiur consultant for a report for the DVLA. It is not an easy process and generally trusts requirements are the same as the DVLA.

Frazer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back