Am I possibly diabetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitkat23

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
I haven't felt well recently. My hus band is type two diabetic so I testests my blood sugars and they were only 3.6. two hours after a meal it was 9.5 and this morning before anything to eat or drink it 8.8? In wonderi g if I should get my hba1c checked

If you haven’t felt well and you’re concerned about diabetes it’s important to go to the GP. A simple blood test from the arm is all it takes to find out for certain

Personally, I like to know and then to face, with facts and evidence whatever has to be faced. It's certainly better than worry, fear and uncertainty.

So go for it and get the HbA1c test done and good luck.

So different from head in the sand approach which fear can bring on.

Thank you my mum was diabetic and string history in family as well. I will book an appointment to get it checked . Info on internet for glucose levels for fi her prick test is very confusing

Info on internet for glucose levels for fi her prick test is very confusing

Welcome to the forum @kitkat23

Home BG monitors and fingerprick checks aren’t considered to be suitable for diagnostic purposes, so treat any suggestions you have read on the internet with caution.

Blood glucose rises and falls during the day in people without diabetes, so any one-off readings may not be much of an indication.

Hope you can get an HbA1c check organised to put your mind at rest.

I
Welcome to the forum @kitkat23

Home BG monitors and fingerprick checks aren’t considered to be suitable for diagnostic purposes, so treat any suggestions you have read on the internet with caution.

Blood glucose rises and falls during the day in people without diabetes, so any one-off readings may not be much of an indication.

Hope you can get an HbA1c check organised to put your mind at rest.
I have ordered a home test rather than worrying about but it's nice to get some advice

Is there any reason you’re reluctant to speak to your GP about it? Doing a home test first only delays the proper assessments.

Is there any reason you’re reluctant to speak to your GP about it? Doing a home test first only delays the proper assessments.
This wasn’t true in my case, the wait for doctors was 2-3 weeks at the time, did the home test got results in 2 days then once I told the gp the results I was in for an appointment within a few days

Last edited:
Random testing during the day won't tell you anything meaningful. The general testing regime that we follow is to test on waking (ie, a fasting test, as you won't have eaten or drank anything overnight) then immediately before a meal and then again 2 hours afterwards. For the majority of healthy individuals, normal blood sugar levels are:
  • Between 4.0 to 5.4 mmol/L fasting
  • Up to 7.8 mmol/L 2 hours after eating
A week's readings should give you some idea of whether you should be asking your GP for an HbA1c test.

Martin
I think OP means she’s ordered a home hba1c test (apologies if I have got that wrong) There are many online companies that do this now.

I think OP means she’s ordered a home hba1c test (apologies if I have got that wrong) There are many online companies that do this now.
What sample do they do that from then or do they send you a form to take to a phlebotomist or are they doing it from a finger prick sample.

What sample do they do that from then or do they send you a form to take to a phlebotomist or are they doing it from a finger prick sample.
Well it’s kind of a finger prick but you have to fill up quite large tube. I used a company called thriva and my doctor was dubious but their result matched. I use them every 3 months now for my a1c as doctors have only done me one in the last 14 months. However i did have one done through the doctors a couple of weeks ago and it did correspond with my last home test again. Medichecks is another good one

Last edited:
This wasn’t true in my case, the wait for doctors was 2-3 weeks at the time, did the home test got results in 2 days then once I told the gp the results I was in for an appointment within a few days
You did actually call the GP though…

You did actually call the GP though…
Yes, it just that doing my own test didn’t delay anything. It actually got me diagnosed quicker. I wouldn’t say do your own test instead of the doctors, and the home environment I suppose could be more open to contamination etc Just in my case it did the trick.

So I had another turn today felt awful about three hours after my lunch my blood sugars were at 2.6 so I have an appointment with the GP on Friday for fasting bloods

I’m pleased you have an appointment with the doctor. Sometimes blood sugar can go too high because the insulin response is delayed. Then the insulin will come in late and too much, causing low sugar.

You’ve definitely done the right thing getting checked.

So I had another turn today felt awful about three hours after my lunch my blood sugars were at 2.6 so I have an appointment with the GP on Friday for fasting bloods
What did you eat for lunch? It could be reactive hypoglycaemia.

I had two slices of toast with cheese , a small youghurt with blueberries and a coffee with just milk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back